College Game Is Dying/How do we save it [RIP NCAA Catchall Thread]

Talent isn't solely why people watch, but it is a big part of it. Perhaps it's equal, like you say.

Reducing the talent level would not necessarily kill interest in the sport -- but what you are proposing would not just reduce the talent level, it would absolutely destroy it. The game would be almost unwatchable outside seeing the spectacle of just how bad football can get.

And seeing extremely talented people possible play the game at a high level is a big part of what makes college sports (or any sports with high viewership numbers) popular. Otherwise women's basketball would be much more popular. No doubt they have at least as much drama, as many stories, conflicts, etc., as the men.

Sounds like D2 or D3 football

Sounds like D2 or D3 football

It wouldn't be even close to D2 and D3 football.

D2 and D3 football is still full of people who have dedicated their lives to the game and athletics in general for years prior to stepping onto campus, and who have the right body types for the positions they play. They're still probably top 1% of athletes in the country.

The real question is was it ever alive?
I guess the answer to all these questions depends on how you measure it. The money is still there at present. Assuming the Big and the Sec become the only two conferences that matter, what will fans of other schools do? Will they quit watching, or will they pick another team to be their team?

Is there something about college football that makes it more marketable than pro football? I get the feeling the powers that be aren’t asking themselves the right questions and are just trying to increase present-day market share.

It would probably benefit people to see what Wash State’s fan base does.

Another nail in the coffin?

A federal judge on Friday barred the NCAA from enforcing its rules prohibiting name, image and likeness compensation from being used to recruit athletes, granting a request for a preliminary injunction from the states of Tennessee and Virginia in dealing another blow to the association’s ability to govern college sports.​
The ruling by U.S. District Judge Clifton Corker in the Eastern District of Tennessee undercuts what has been a fundamental principle of the NCAA’s model of amateurism for decades: Third parties cannot pay recruits to attend a particular school.​
“The NCAA’s prohibition likely violates federal antitrust law and ha(r)ms student-athletes,” Corker wrote in granting the injunction.​

I guess the answer to all these questions depends on how you measure it. The money is still there at present. Assuming the Big and the Sec become the only two conferences that matter, what will fans of other schools do? Will they quit watching, or will they pick another team to be their team?

Is there something about college football that makes it more marketable than pro football? I get the feeling the powers that be aren’t asking themselves the right questions and are just trying to increase present-day market share.

It would probably benefit people to see what Wash State’s fan base does.
Wash state has the same chance as they did 10 years ago, basically none. No change there, only in fan perception.

i too miss the old conference alignments. But there’s no change to group five schools, playing for bowl games like 10 years ago.

The only change is that it’ll be 2-3 large conferences as compared to five in football. But all the moves just condense those teams in a couple of super-conferences.

someone astute on this board pointed out that conference alignments have been on the move for decades. Remember Miami and Pitt in the big east? Texas, Colorado and Ok in the SWC? Nothing new here.

The difference is the advance of NIL and super conferences all at once. Coaches will tell you, it’s not NIL. It’s the one year nature of NIL and having to constantly re-recruit your own players. That’s the part that is driving them out of the game to the nfl. 12 month job vs 9-10 month job in nfl.

when it gets to 2-3 super conferences, rules will come around athletes, to some degree. It’s inevitable.

My prediction is that the way to a d1 championship becomes more available in the new world. Now it’ll take commitment to a solid organization and some serious cash, but it’s doable.

Does anyone think the last 12 years of bama, klempsum and Ugag was any easier for a mid-level program?

sorry, two much caffeine..

The word College has no place in today's game. So, remove it and we will learn what the appetite of the consumer is for NFL Lite. How did things go for the NBA Lite experiment? Even some minor league baseball teams can't stand on their own without MLB support.

How do we save it? I'm not sure it's possible, especially with the current media structure, but a start would be... since less than 2% of cFB players make it to the NFL, go back to to offering scholarships, meals, medical care, academic support, housing, and a very expensive venue to play in, and see how many of the 98% want to play. The drop off in the entertainment element would be invisible, even after many went to NFL Lite, who would never even smell the NFL (although they think they would, like now). So the 98% becomes 75%...so...the college game would still be at a high enough level that it would still draw (especially factoring in the college angle). Yes such a notion is grossly short of major
issues like coaching salaries etc. etc., but the path the game is going down...sux, imo.

Wash state has the same chance as they did 10 years ago, basically none. No change there, only in fan perception.

i too miss the old conference alignments. But there’s no change to group five schools, playing for bowl games like 10 years ago.

The only change is that it’ll be 2-3 large conferences as compared to five in football. But all the moves just condense those teams in a couple of super-conferences.

someone astute on this board pointed out that conference alignments have been on the move for decades. Remember Miami and Pitt in the big east? Texas, Colorado and Ok in the SWC? Nothing new here.

The difference is the advance of NIL and super conferences all at once. Coaches will tell you, it’s not NIL. It’s the one year nature of NIL and having to constantly re-recruit your own players. That’s the part that is driving them out of the game to the nfl. 12 month job vs 9-10 month job in nfl.

when it gets to 2-3 super conferences, rules will come around athletes, to some degree. It’s inevitable.

My prediction is that the way to a d1 championship becomes more available in the new world. Now it’ll take commitment to a solid organization and some serious cash, but it’s doable.

Does anyone think the last 12 years of bama, klempsum and Ugag was any easier for a mid-level program?

sorry, two much caffeine..
Fan perception matters to the bottom line. The schools that get left out of the super conferences will not have the serious cash to compete unless they just have rich alumni willing to throw hundreds of millions at sports.

Wash state will absolutely not have the same chance. It will be less likely than it was, however low that happened to be. It's also not only fan perception, but perception of the people picking who goes to the playoff and teams outside of the super conferences will probably have more of an uphill climb when that age happens than G5 teams into the 4 team playoff.

It wouldn't be even close to D2 and D3 football.

D2 and D3 football is still full of people who have dedicated their lives to the game and athletics in general for years prior to stepping onto campus, and who have the right body types for the positions they play. They're still probably top 1% of athletes in the country.

My youngest plays NAIA baseball and it's still as competitive and fun to watch as D-1 baseball.
They are still talented players. While not as talented as D-1 teams, the games are still competitive and exciting with good hitting and fielding.

If GT doesn't make the cut to NFL-lite D-1 P2, I will still attend and enjoy the games.

The word College has no place in today's game. So, remove it and we will learn what the appetite of the consumer is for NFL Lite. How did things go for the NBA Lite experiment? Even some minor league baseball teams can't stand on their own without MLB support.

How do we save it? I'm not sure it's possible, especially with the current media structure, but a start would be... since less than 2% of cFB players make it to the NFL, go back to to offering scholarships, meals, medical care, academic support, housing, and a very expensive venue to play in, and see how many of the 98% want to play. The drop off in the entertainment element would be invisible, even after many went to NFL Lite, who would never even smell the NFL (although they think they would, like now). So the 98% becomes 75%...so...the college game would still be at a high enough level that it would still draw (especially factoring in the college angle). Yes such a notion is grossly short of major
issues like coaching salaries etc. etc., but the path the game is going down...sux, imo.

Good post.

Yeah, the teams that don't make the cut will be hit pretty hard, financially. They won't be able to hitch their wagons to the producers and rely on them to fill their stadiums. It'll be a painful few years.

My youngest plays NAIA baseball and it's still as competitive and fun to watch as D-1 baseball.
They are still talented players. While not as talented as D-1 teams, the games are still competitive and exciting with good hitting and fielding.

If GT doesn't make the cut to NFL-lite D-1 P2, I will still attend and enjoy the games.
Good news. If you watch the video in the expansion thread, you’ll see that GT is moving to the SEC. Coming on a Thursday in 2025 or thereabouts.

Good post.

Yeah, the teams that don't make the cut will be hit pretty hard, financially. They won't be able to hitch their wagons to the producers and rely on them to fill their stadiums. It'll be a painful few years.
There will likely be blowback on the producers in the form of people from those other schools tuning them out once they are stable (or sooner if the fans of those schools are pissed), particularly if those next 80 or so have their own championship. That could lead to diminishing ratings for Fox/ESPN and blow up those massive SEC/B1G contracts and it might also force the P2 to have to pay more for out of conference games, which adds more pressure to those contracts.

Back