Collins report card

Given they give orange bowls for second place since Clemson makes the playoffs every year #20 could easily win the Coastal and go to an orange bowl.

too bad second place didn’t get a orange bowl back in the late 90s... could’ve had 3iar.
So what? Next thing you’re gonna be trying to downplay the MNC trophy because we only won the Coach’s Poll and only by Tom Osborne’s vote.

I’ll pound my chest after every single OB appearance and/or win. I’ll hold CGC up on my shoulders so his megaphone about such an accomplishment can be heard by even more people.

Reactions: eg1
Question for you. How many Orange Bowls do you think Coach Johnson would have gotten us to in the years 19-23?

20% chance per year is a reasonable estimate given his track record.

So what? Next thing you’re gonna be trying to downplay the MNC trophy because we only won the Coach’s Poll and only by Tom Osborne’s vote.

I’ll pound my chest after every single OB appearance and/or win. I’ll hold CGC up on my shoulders so his megaphone about such an accomplishment can be heard by even more people.

Good for you. Hopefully CGC can get there too. But an orange bowl in today’s arrangement is a gator bowl in days of old. Finishing #20 could get you there.

Coach Osborne must have been impressed with that second half pull away at the Citrus Bowl. I know I was.

The hottest of takes.
Not hot at all.

2006: #22 FSU
2007: #15 WF (LOL)
2009: #12 Cincinnati, #21 VT
2011: #12 VT
2012: #17 WVU, #22 Clemson
2013: #13 FSU, #16 NIU
2014: #12 Clemson
2017: #11 Miam
2019: UNRANKED UVA

In 14 years there were as many teams outside the top 10 in the orange bowl as there had been in the 48 preceding years!

Before UVA last year the last unranked team to appear in the Orange Bowl was a 9-2 Florida team when the AP was only ranking the top 10 teams.

Not hot at all.

2006: #22 FSU
2007: #15 WF (LOL)
2009: #12 Cincinnati, #21 VT
2011: #12 VT
2012: #17 WVU, #22 Clemson
2013: #13 FSU, #16 NIU
2014: #12 Clemson
2017: #11 Miam
2019: UNRANKED UVA

In 14 years there were as many teams outside the top 10 in the orange bowl as there had been in the 48 preceding years!

Before UVA last year the last unranked team to appear in the Orange Bowl was a 9-2 Florida team when the AP was only ranking the top 10 teams.
Ya. I can distinctly remember when we last played in the Gator in ‘98, ‘99, and ‘06 the media coverage devoted to it leading up to the game. The media coverage and program promotion/marketing was nonstop. Plus, we were the only game on at Noon on the powerhouse college football programming home of - NBC.

Wait. None of that happened.

But ya, it’s the same.

If the Gator was the same as a NY6 bowl, it’d be a NY6 bowl.

Ya. I can distinctly remember when we last played in the Gator in ‘98, ‘99, and ‘06 the media coverage devoted to it leading up to the game. The media coverage and program promotion/marketing was nonstop. Plus, we were the only game on at Noon on the powerhouse college football programming home of - NBC.

Wait. None of that happened.

But ya, it’s the same.

If the Gator was the same as a NY6 bowl, it’d be a NY6 bowl.

I’m talking about the quality of play not the pomp. Zero doubt in my mind both our Gator Bowl teams would beat both of our Orange Bowl team.

I’m talking about the quality of play not the pomp. Zero doubt in my mind both our Gator Bowl teams would beat both of our Orange Bowl team.
Of course there is. It’d rip you to shreds giving CPJ credit for a historic achievement. Only way around it is to act like it’s no big deal.

Of course there is. It’d rip you to shreds giving CPJ credit for a historic achievement. Only way around it is to act like it’s no big deal.
I didn’t say it’s not a big deal. It’s just not the same.

An orange bowl post mid 2000s is not the same as the orange bowl of old.

In 2014 we were the second best team in the ACC and got to go. In 98,99,2000. We were #2 and didn’t despite the fact we were runner-up to a team that played for the NC all three years.

OMG, a Ralph offense against a Roof defense coupled with a Johnson offense against a Roof defense? I’m guessing the o/u in that game would be around 200.

20% chance per year is a reasonable estimate given his track record.

That would assume the variables stayed the same, but they did not. The two Orange bowl teams had NFL talent on them. Post 2016, it fell off a cliff. 2014-2016: 8 players drafted.
2017, 2018, 2019: Butker and no one else.
2020: A grad transfer TE that CGC brought in.

CPJ's best case was no longer Orange bowls, but seasons like 2018, where he had to pull every trick in the book to reach 6-7 wins only to get physically dominated in a bowl. It happens. The game changed. Everyone has a high powered offense now. The scheme advantage was negligible by the and the talent gap was monstrous.

Basically, we can forever appreciate DeNiro's iconic roles, but there ain't gonna be another Goodfellas.

Last edited:
Back