Collins, year 4

I am optimistic we'll be better. Going cheap on staff was a big mistake with a HC like Collins, and it's largely been rectified. We'll need the bounces to go our way and relative good health to get enough wins to save Collins' job, though. I am rooting for him. Recruiting will really take off with a successful season.

I am optimistic we'll be better. Going cheap on staff was a big mistake with a HC like Collins, and it's largely been rectified. We'll need the bounces to go our way and relative good health to get enough wins to save Collins' job, though. I am rooting for him. Recruiting will really take off with a successful season.
Agree completely. If the changes to the staff have the positive effect most of us are hoping for, we’re at 6 wins and bowling this year. There’s still plenty of excitement with recruits. We just need the wins to pull them in. Add good coaching to the good recruiting and we’ll seea lot more success.

That said, if we don’t see 6 wins, Collins is gone, and he’s dead to me.

Yeah, the original staff was extremely light on experience and it showed. Hopefully, the revamped staff does better.

The only way I can talk myself into being optimistic about year 4 is to assume that Collins is a good coordinator but really needed a mentor as a head coach that he didn't have. CPJ had a story about how when he was a first a head coach Erk asked him, "What are you doing?" and he said "Walking around, being a head coach." Erk tells him to go and coach the quarterbacks, because that's what got him here.

I think Collins has spent a lot of time the past 3 years with a picture in his head of what a head coach is supposed to do, but with no Erk to remind him that someone has to actually coach the players up. No ones going to confuse CPJ with Collins, but it's clear someone sat Collins down after last season and told him he needs to start actually coaching. My head says don't expect more than 4 wins, but my GT heart thinks about this story when I want to hope we can turn into a good football team.

I think we hit rock bottom so we can only go up from here. I'm giving CGC five years before I call him a total failure, personally. I know others are quicker to the trigger than me on this and maybe I'm wrong but I just think its a complete rebuild job changing from the triple option to a standard offense, almost akin to recovering from the NCAA death penalty. Yes, I liked CPJ and his offense... but I also think it comes at a program cost which is what we are paying now. I am beating a dead horse here so I will just go back to mumbling to myself.

I think we all hope for 6 wins or better. Can't buy the better assistant excuse. Collins is responsible for all of the hires.

I would have loved to have seen this year’s coaching staff with last year’s roster. Seems like we’ve lost way too many bodies and depth to be competitive

I think we hit rock bottom so we can only go up from here. I'm giving CGC five years before I call him a total failure, personally. I know others are quicker to the trigger than me on this and maybe I'm wrong but I just think its a complete rebuild job changing from the triple option to a standard offense, almost akin to recovering from the NCAA death penalty. Yes, I liked CPJ and his offense... but I also think it comes at a program cost which is what we are paying now. I am beating a dead horse here so I will just go back to mumbling to myself.
Why would you need 5 years even after a "total rebuild"? If we had wiped the team and started with all freshmen in 2019, you should still see improvement by year 3 when the oldest are all juniors. We've seen little development on offense, and actual regression on defense. I'm hoping that will be different this year with all the staff changeover, but if it's more of the same, then CGC needs to go.

Why would you need 5 years even after a "total rebuild"? If we had wiped the team and started with all freshmen in 2019, you should still see improvement by year 3 when the oldest are all juniors. We've seen little development on offense, and actual regression on defense. I'm hoping that will be different this year with all the staff changeover, but if it's more of the same, then CGC needs to go.
Well you cant rebuild a team with a single class. You cant even field a team from a single class of 15-20 recruits. If you look at each positional unit and add to the fact it takes (typically) two years of S&C to get OL/DL ready, year three was where at an absolute minimum is when you look for improvement. Now factor in other things like attrition and recruiting misses, a lot of things would have to go right for a winning season in year three. I didnt expect a winning season but I have to admit I had hoped to see us jump up and be much more competitive. That part was definitely a red flag but again, its still too early. Adding to our misery is the fact our two main rivals, Clemson and UGA, have taken their programs to elite status for years so two games a year we will look like we dont belong on the field (Clemson might have peaked and is coming back down, at least).

Mine is just a stupid opinion and I'm not willing to die on this hill but for now I am still trying to be patient. We all knew there was a reason that no other teams other than academies run the triple option yet some are still in denial of the reasons why that is.

Normally I would be optimistic, thinking this would be the year it all comes togethe, but that optimism would be based on coaches learning the players and players learning each other, but with the turnover in players and coaches I just don’t see a huge improvement, especially the first few games.

I feel strangely optimistic about this upcoming season. Collins is taking a more active role in coaching the defense, so in a more real sense this season will reveal whether Collins really can coach or not. I am choosing to believe that these first three years really were about building culture, and now for the first time we really are going to see Collins's coaching ability/philosophy really tested. Maybe I am naive, but maybe we really might see something different this year.
I don't want to sound jaded or flat out pessimistic, however; Collins hasn't shown me anything other than he is isn't a good coach. I really hope we win 6 or more games. However; I am sitting here, prepared for another 3 win season. Maybe 4. I hope I get proven wrong. But, I lost my hope in Collins...

is there a way that Coach Collins can get the Waffle House jukebox to play the Ga Tech fight song? that would certainly help

Back