Collins, year 4

Well you cant rebuild a team with a single class. You cant even field a team from a single class of 15-20 recruits. If you look at each positional unit and add to the fact it takes (typically) two years of S&C to get OL/DL ready, year three was where at an absolute minimum is when you look for improvement. Now factor in other things like attrition and recruiting misses, a lot of things would have to go right for a winning season in year three. I didnt expect a winning season but I have to admit I had hoped to see us jump up and be much more competitive. That part was definitely a red flag but again, its still too early. Adding to our misery is the fact our two main rivals, Clemson and UGA, have taken their programs to elite status for years so two games a year we will look like we dont belong on the field (Clemson might have peaked and is coming back down, at least).

Mine is just a stupid opinion and I'm not willing to die on this hill but for now I am still trying to be patient. We all knew there was a reason that no other teams other than academies run the triple option yet some are still in denial of the reasons why that is.

Year 3 you should be competitive. There is really no excuse. Sure UGA was a powerhouse, as was Notre Dame; but that doesn't explain 100-0 against them. Clemson was good but not great, and the rest of the ACC was as bad as it has been in decades. I want to feel positive about the staff changes for the upcoming season, and with all the first year coaches we'll be facing it shouldn't be hard to go .500. But last year CGC laid an egg, and this year he needs to show something because the excuses or worn out.

Year 3 you should be competitive. There is really no excuse. Sure UGA was a powerhouse, as was Notre Dame; but that doesn't explain 100-0 against them. Clemson was good but not great, and the rest of the ACC was as bad as it has been in decades. I want to feel positive about the staff changes for the upcoming season, and with all the first year coaches we'll be facing it shouldn't be hard to go .500. But last year CGC laid an egg, and this year he needs to show something because the excuses or worn out.
I hate 100-0 as bad as anybody and don't find it acceptable either, however if those games don't happen at the very end of the season when injuries have ammassed and folks have checked out, I don't think it happens. We had no Jeff Sims for either game, no Gibbs for most of UGAg and without those 2 we couldn't rely on our offense to stay on the field long enough to give our already terrible defense a breather. I think the season was a bust at that point and once we got down early in those games it was over. If they are played earlier in the season I feel we would've been much more competitive.

Frankly, I wonder if CGC will even make it to the end of the season.

Yes, he will. If he was retained for this season (in part due to the large buyout that drops significantly in early December), then what's the point of firing him in Oct/Nov? At this point, he will coach the whole season unless he is caught up in something where he could be fired for cause.

Just to throw in my .02cents , I really believe Tech fans will have a good idea about the season after the Clemson game. If we see some of the same bone headed plays offense & defense, missed opportunities, stupid timeouts, penalties, we will know. It has to be 6 wins or so long Geoff Collins!!

Yes, he will. If he was retained for this season (in part due to the large buyout that drops significantly in early December), then what's the point of firing him in Oct/Nov? At this point, he will coach the whole season unless he is caught up in something where he could be fired for cause.
What day in December? I may start a countdown.

:lol2: Gibbs who
Not sure why anyone likes him. He’s not recruiting or retaining well, he doesn’t seem to coach well based on results on the field, and he is Asst Coach of the 3-3-3. Overhyped & overpaid.
Exactly....
But our optimism toward both he and his dead squirrel atop is astonishing. People tend to be optimistic when there's a reason and this nutsack hasn't provide the first sign of evidence.

But I hear the weather isn't bad on Mars

If they are played earlier in the season I feel we would've been much more competitive.

But they weren't. They were played when they were played, the history has been written and history is judged on what did happen, not what might have been, if only. This notion is about as valid as saying "If we had scored more points than them we could've won".

I feel strangely optimistic about this upcoming season. Collins is taking a more active role in coaching the defense, so in a more real sense this season will reveal whether Collins really can coach or not. I am choosing to believe that these first three years really were about building culture, and now for the first time we really are going to see Collins's coaching ability/philosophy really tested. Maybe I am naive, but maybe we really might see something different this year.
We’ll definitely see something different. New schemes don’t always translate to more wins though, especially in the first year.

How does this affect our outlook?

Power 5 Conference Payout Estimates

conference payouts.png

I feel strangely optimistic about this upcoming season. Collins is taking a more active role in coaching the defense, so in a more real sense this season will reveal whether Collins really can coach or not. I am choosing to believe that these first three years really were about building culture, and now for the first time we really are going to see Collins's coaching ability/philosophy really tested. Maybe I am naive, but maybe we really might see something different this year.
3.6. Won’t make 4.

is there a way that Coach Collins can get the Waffle House jukebox to play the Ga Tech fight song? that would certainly help
maybe on game days he can stay at the Waffle House trying to figure that out.
that might give the team a fighting chance if he's not there on game day.
Hell let the players run it. (A friend of mine who played quarterback in college said the team his senior year pretty much did that because they weren't real fond of the new coach, so the play would come into the huddle and they went, f it, we know this offense too, let's just run this instead. They did win a national championship that year)

Not saying it would happen, but were you not around in 1994? If you were, did you walk away?
If they were going to fire him, they should have done it before the exodus started. Doing it any time before the buyout drops would be an incredibly stupid move - which probably means it’s going to happen.

Not saying it would happen, but were you not around in 1994? If you were, did you walk away?
If Geoff is going mid season, our AD is going with him, if those AJC articles are to be believed.

That leaves a new AD, without a war chest cause the one we have now is gone (i.e., we don't have one today… it’s been depleted) and the big donors just ponied to over spend when all they all had to do was wait X weeks/months.

It would take years to recover - not just as a football program - but athletics program if they fire him before December.

Back