Collins, year 4

If they were going to fire him, they should have done it before the exodus started. Doing it any time before the buyout drops would be an incredibly stupid move - which probably means it’s going to happen.

I wonder if they can 'relieve him of duties' mid-season without "firing" him, and then fire him in December? I guess that is a question for lawyers familiar with his contract.

If Geoff is going mid season, our AD is going with him, if those AJC articles are to be believed.

That leaves a new AD, without a war chest cause the one we have now is gone (i.e., we don't have one today… it’s been depleted) and the big donors just ponied to over spend when all they all had to do was wait X weeks/months.

It would take years to recover - not just as a football program - but athletics program if they fire him before December.
I have no idea about if AJC articles are true. But there are few ways to look at this, fired the coach at mid - season ( if we suck), or let him finish the season. This one is off the wall and would not happen, name a new head coach keep CGC till Dec and then let him go. ( not sure a team can't have two head coaches at the same time won't think they could.
The problem is the next recruiting class if they don't know who will be the next head coach. The best thing that could happen is for us to win +7 games and CGC be safe. ( I don't like CGC but I love Tech more so I have to pull for this one)

I have no idea about if AJC articles are true. But there are few ways to look at this, fired the coach at mid - season ( if we suck), or let him finish the season. This one is off the wall and would not happen, name a new head coach keep CGC till Dec and then let him go. ( not sure a team can't have two head coaches at the same time won't think they could.
The problem is the next recruiting class if they don't know who will be the next head coach. The best thing that could happen is for us to win +7 games and CGC be safe. ( I don't like CGC but I love Tech more so I have to pull for this one)
The recruits will not know who the next coach will be until the end of the season no matter when we fire Collins. The logical sequence is TStan goes as soon as six wins is unattainable. Then Collins goes as soon as the buyout drops. Between those two events we need to hire an new AD and he needs to begin the coaching search process.

Remains to be seen what sort of recruiting class is even there. Right now its no one.

I think we hit rock bottom so we can only go up from here. I'm giving CGC five years before I call him a total failure, personally. I know others are quicker to the trigger than me on this and maybe I'm wrong but I just think its a complete rebuild job changing from the triple option to a standard offense, almost akin to recovering from the NCAA death penalty. Yes, I liked CPJ and his offense... but I also think it comes at a program cost which is what we are paying now. I am beating a dead horse here so I will just go back to mumbling to myself.

Death penalty, Jesus Christ. Already upper 3rd of the conference in roster talent by year 3 and still won 3 games. We’re paying $3M/year for a marketing director, that’s the problem. Not the roster he inherited 4 years ago.

How does this affect our outlook?

Power 5 Conference Payout Estimates

conference payouts.png

I'd like to see their estimates on my stock portfolio

I'd like to see their estimates on my stock portfolio
That should have never happened. The NCAA should not have allowed that to happen. And the NCAA should have capped coaching salaries 2 decades ago. There is far too much temptation to cheat if it pays million$ of dollars a year to win. Money has polluted a once great amateur sport. But it’s not surprising. The NCAA doesn’t get anything right.

At the risk of being bashed. I think we start the next season with a 1-4 record. We will play Duke, at that point. If I am looking at things right. I think the Duke game will be the make or break for Collins, on whether he finishes the season out or not. If we lose game 2, he should be fired at that point. I do not see him being the head coach next year, either way.

That should have never happened. The NCAA should not have allowed that to happen. And the NCAA should have capped coaching salaries 2 decades ago. There is far too much temptation to cheat if it pays million$ of dollars a year to win. Money has polluted a once great amateur sport. But it’s not surprising. The NCAA doesn’t get anything right.

What would have been your structure to have forced schools to put a cap on coaches salaries? Would there have been any consideration for the fact that some schools have substantially larger budgets than others? Large high revenue schools must pay the no more than small "hanging by a thread" ones?
Just curious if you could go back in time, how your idea might have worked out......

What would have been your structure to have forced schools to put a cap on coaches salaries? Would there have been any consideration for the fact that some schools have substantially larger budgets than others? Large high revenue schools must pay the no more than small "hanging by a thread" ones?
Just curious if you could go back in time, how your idea might have worked out......
Does collins truly deserve 2.8 mil?

That is a really great question. I think that if keeping coaching salaries down could have been agreed upon as a good thing by the NCAA, I would have suggested that the rules would have needed to be tied to the pay scale of the university. Perhaps, that a school could not pay a head coach more than something like 80% of the chancellor, president of the school, or that the coach could not be paid more than the average salary of the top ten percent of tenured faculty, or that a an AD had to make more than coaches and that an AD is paid at a Dean level and head coaches at a tenured prof level. I am not saying this would have worked. But, getting coaching salaries more in line with what the university or college pays others would make more sense than a salary cap. Some limits on outside income would be necessary if you really wanted to keep coaching compensation under control.

The problem is that for years universities allowed costs to rise due to exorbitant coaching contracts, facilities competition that led to the ridiculous, and bloated athletic department bureaucracies. Now that athletes have won the right to get their share of this overspending we are in a crisis. The budget to compete has outgrown ticket sales, bowl and game contract revenue, alumni/booster contributions and advertisement. It is completely dependent on money from those who buy the media rights to the product. This could have been avoided with better cost controls from fifty years ago until now. It will be hard to fix this now. It would require schools leaving the "big boys" and starting over with these spending controls in place. Boards of trustees and college presidents would have to make these decisions; AD's and coaches will never voluntarily admit their revenue share should shrink.

That is a really great question. I think that if keeping coaching salaries down could have been agreed upon as a good thing by the NCAA, I would have suggested that the rules would have needed to be tied to the pay scale of the university. Perhaps, that a school could not pay a head coach more than something like 80% of the chancellor, president of the school, or that the coach could not be paid more than the average salary of the top ten percent of tenured faculty, or that a an AD had to make more than coaches and that an AD is paid at a Dean level and head coaches at a tenured prof level. I am not saying this would have worked. But, getting coaching salaries more in line with what the university or college pays others would make more sense than a salary cap. Some limits on outside income would be necessary if you really wanted to keep coaching compensation under control.

The problem is that for years universities allowed costs to rise due to exorbitant coaching contracts, facilities competition that led to the ridiculous, and bloated athletic department bureaucracies. Now that athletes have won the right to get their share of this overspending we are in a crisis. The budget to compete has outgrown ticket sales, bowl and game contract revenue, alumni/booster contributions and advertisement. It is completely dependent on money from those who buy the media rights to the product. This could have been avoided with better cost controls from fifty years ago until now. It will be hard to fix this now. It would require schools leaving the "big boys" and starting over with these spending controls in place. Boards of trustees and college presidents would have to make these decisions; AD's and coaches will never voluntarily admit their revenue share should shrink.
The administration and faculty salaries are also inflated although not to the same degree. That is why tuition and student loan debt are issues today.
At the factory schools they will just pump the admin and faculty salaries up even more if they need to justify the coaching salaries. This will just coop the academic? side even more.

record. We will play Duke, at that point. If I am looking at things right. I think the Duke game will be the make or break for Collins, on whether he finishes the season out or not.

Why? If he was brought back this season in part due to his huge buyout that TDope gave him, why in the world would he be fired a less than two months before it drops substantially. An interim coach won’t be “turning things around” after your proposed season start, so what does it matter if Collins finishes a lost season out?

That would be really dumb to fire a guy when you save millions waiting less than 2 months.

I’m hoping for a miracle this season even if the odds look “unpossible” at this point.

If he can be relieved of his duties - put on paid leave basically - that would be the wise thing to do.

Any $$ saved at this point is critical to the future of GT football, having $$ for coaches and NIL.

Back