Come down off the ledge.

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
I don't think many here can even imagine how right you are. I have lived through the end of Pepper - the Curry 80 / 81 crap. - the Lewis horror and we are headed there quickly.

)
I'm using this quote as an example of many posts I've seen on the board since the bowl game. Am I happy with Johnson? No. But some of y'all need to get a grip and come down off the ledge. We went to a bowl game people. This isn't anything close to Bill Lewis years. Get some öööö perspective

I'm using this quote as an example of many posts I've seen on the board since the bowl game. Am I happy with Johnson? No. But some of y'all need to get a grip and come down off the ledge. We went to a bowl game people. This isn't anything close to Bill Lewis years. Get some öööö perspective

'Cept for the cut blocking nonsense.

I actually look more forward to next season now. New QB. Even more pissed off coach with something to prove. It will be much more entertaining than watching Vad Lee run out of bounds two yards short of the first down on 3rd and 5.

Come on BOR, this is Stingtalk. You know, where the sky is always falling.

You mean like this?

ledge.jpg

:wink:

The most telling statements will come from the players - if they are comfortable opening up. I think they will be quite happy with an open QB battle (and I imagine they know who will emerge as the no. 1).

I agree with this.

When we hired Johnson, we selected the strategy to run the spread option and differentiate ourselves (including recruiting differently). We used to be good at running it, and it paid dividends. The defensive performance of the Tevin years screwed us out of wins (not all wins, but his senior year VT, Miami, and MTSU).

By changing the offense to suit Vad, I think we became worse at running the spread option / triple option (all positions, not just QB) and the passing game out of the pistol / shotgun did not make up for it.

J. Thomas is exactly the type of QB that I was excited about getting when we hired Johnson. Good arm, great speed, but a little shy on measurables to be a QB at Alabama so he chose GT. If he can run the offense, I'll take running the clock out to preserve wins over giving up a score and having to make a game winning drive.

I never saw what everyone else thought they saw in Vad. He's a good kid and I wish him well, but I do not think this is the loss that some people believe it is. I don't see this as a CPJ screwed a kid over, it was pretty clear that he made drastic changes to 'suit' Vad's supposed skill set and in my opinion he did not perform in either aspect of the offense. His acquisition is a sunk cost and should not impact future decisions.

If I am Paul Johnson and my job is on the line, I am going down running my offense my way with the players that fit best in my opinion. I am raising my expectations for next season if I am right about getting back to the base offense.

Next year, CPJ will be back to his comfort zone with the offense. He was under a lot of pressure to change things to fit Vad's talents and weaknesses, and he never could get the right mix. The OL was no help, either. With JT under center, we'll see more of the TO, which is what CPJ knows. If the OL shapes up, and CTR continues to get the defense on track, we could have a better season than anyone expects right now.

We went to a bowl game AND were one play away from beating UGA. I'd love to see what shape this board would be in if we got that freaking fourth and short stop at midfield - a play CPJ could do little, if anything, to prevent.

I never saw what everyone else thought they saw in Vad. ....

Were you watching last year? At least the UNC game?

Vad has the tools to be a very good QB. It just wasn't in the TO. Granted, he seemed a bit fragile between the ears this year but most of what made everyone say "WTF" was because of piss poor blocking. If PJ can't find blockers for this wunder-offense of his (whether it's because of personnel, coaching, or scheme), we'll be back at this sh!t this time next year.

Almost every time he kept on the option and there was going to be obvious contact, he acted like a b!tch, either stutter stepping, reversing field, or just getting down. Often lost 5 yards when we could have lost 2 or got to the line. Maybe this came from a justifiable complete loss confidence in the OL, but there is no way this offense can succeed with that type of play.

So yeah, the option wasn't your thing.

And don't get me started on the mid-line. That was basically our only short yardage play for years and was essentially just taken out of the play book.

Were you watching last year? At least the UNC game?

Vad has the tools to be a very good QB. It just wasn't in the TO. Granted, he seemed a bit fragile between the ears this year but most of what made everyone say "WTF" was because of piss poor blocking. If PJ can't find blockers for this wunder-offense of his (whether it's because of personnel, coaching, or scheme), we'll be back at this sh!t this time next year.

Yes.

I also attend more practices than nearly all but 500 Tech fans.

Practice reports would cover the 2 big plays (a deep ball for a TD and a long run) but not talk about the multiple back foot throws, multiple throws into double coverage, and throws without going through a progression. Don't get me started on reversing field for a big loss on plays that didn't materialize and fumbles.

In that UNC game, he threw off his back foot to Robbie Godhigh in double coverage deep down the middle. Fortunate result of a less than ideal QB play. I will agree that there were 10 to 12 passes that were thrown by Vad Lee that most Tech QB's would not have made. However, the Smelter catch against Pitt wasn't because of a good throw (underthrown into double coverage) and any QB throws the TD to Waller in the bowl game. Just like any human could throw the incompletion to start the bowl game.

I contend that the piss poor blocking is due to the expanded playbook to suit the QB. It is the simplest explanation for the offensive line play this year considering all the experience. Getting back to executing the offense will get us back to big plays in the passing game due to single coverage and broken plays on defense.

Vad Lee may go on to be a great QB for a different program and that means he made the right decision to transfer. I did not see significant progression and maybe transferring will create a chip on his shoulder to prove that it is the right decision and help motivate him to improve. In all cases, I believe we hired CPJ for the offense and now the defense is playing well. We should be in for a better season next year assuming we divest the clutter in the playbook.

Vad never had the decisiveness that you need to run a read-and-react type of offense. he was trying to make a big play out of every play. he didnt stick to the basics. imo, he had a lot of talent but not the discipline to run the offense effectively

some guys never learn that they cant "out athlete" the defense in college like you can in high school. it seemed like he never went 100% speed running read plays.

just one idiots opinion, of course

Yes.

I also attend more practices than nearly all but 500 Tech fans.

Practice reports would cover the 2 big plays (a deep ball for a TD and a long run) but not talk about the multiple back foot throws, multiple throws into double coverage, and throws without going through a progression. Don't get me started on reversing field for a big loss on plays that didn't materialize and fumbles.

In that UNC game, he threw off his back foot to Robbie Godhigh in double coverage deep down the middle. Fortunate result of a less than ideal QB play. I will agree that there were 10 to 12 passes that were thrown by Vad Lee that most Tech QB's would not have made. However, the Smelter catch against Pitt wasn't because of a good throw (underthrown into double coverage) and any QB throws the TD to Waller in the bowl game. Just like any human could throw the incompletion to start the bowl game.

I contend that the piss poor blocking is due to the expanded playbook to suit the QB. It is the simplest explanation for the offensive line play this year considering all the experience. Getting back to executing the offense will get us back to big plays in the passing game due to single coverage and broken plays on defense.

Vad Lee may go on to be a great QB for a different program and that means he made the right decision to transfer. I did not see significant progression and maybe transferring will create a chip on his shoulder to prove that it is the right decision and help motivate him to improve. In all cases, I believe we hired CPJ for the offense and now the defense is playing well. We should be in for a better season next year assuming we divest the clutter in the playbook.

Seems like alot of this was due to lack of coaching in the passing game. How much of practice time is devoted to passing?

Vad never had the decisiveness that you need to run a read-and-react type of offense. he was trying to make a big play out of every play. he didnt stick to the basics. imo, he had a lot of talent but not the discipline to run the offense effectively

some guys never learn that they cant "out athlete" the defense in college like you can in high school. it seemed like he never went 100% speed running read plays.

just one idiots opinion, of course

I agree with everything you said there.:biggrin:

Back