Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

Within 10 years, the 4 team "playoff" will be expanded to 8 teams with an automatic bid for the 4 or 5 conference champs and 3 or 4 at large teams. At-large teams must be in the top 8 or so in the polls for consideration.

Full membership will give UND a much easier path to the playoff, since they could have 2 losses and still make it in. As an independent, there is no way to get in w/ 2 losses, as they won't be near the top 8. If the ACC goes to 8 conf. games, UND can still schedule four OOC games w/ USC, Navy, Mich/MSU/Purdue/Stanford, etc.

Within four months, the world is coming to an end. All of this will be moot.

I wonder if this move by ND...increases the odds that ND requests to add Purdue,
thereby turning an OOC game into an ACC conference game.

From Schultz's prediction column:

Paul Johnson responded to the news of Notre Dame becoming a sorta-ACC-member as you would expect. He punched a leprechaun. All obnoxious little punks may be at risk if Johnson drops to 0-2 in the ACC for the first time. Also Al Groh. But no worries. Jackets cover 10½.

Would love to see a photoshop of PJ punching a leprechaun.

In 2007 USNA-ND game, CPJ punched a big fat Leprachaun
Named Charlie, right in the face !!!!

I wonder if this move by ND...increases the odds that ND requests to add Purdue,
thereby turning an OOC game into an ACC conference game.

The problem is that Purdue would bring precisely jack and ---- to the ACC.

Of ND's big rivals, Michigan State would be the only one even semi-feasible and that's a 0.001% chance. Michigan would never leave, and Sparty would follow big brother Wolverine to the ends of the Earth.

The problem is that Purdue would bring precisely jack and ---- to the ACC.

Of ND's big rivals, Michigan State would be the only one even semi-feasible and that's a 0.001% chance. Michigan would never leave, and Sparty would follow big brother Wolverine to the ends of the Earth.

How does Purdue bring less than UCONN? I wouldn't mind Purdue coming to the ACC, but I'm not sure how exactly we'll poach them from the B1G.

Purdue is a good engineering school, $2.0 Billion endowment, and 600,000+ living alumni.

I think I'd prefer other schools though. Penn State makes too much sense, it's too bad about the Sandusky case, but guess what? Right about when they're coming off the shackles from that is right when Notre Dame is getting done with their NBC Contract...sooo things could be lining up for the ACC to take 'em away.

LOL. We're adding Purdue. No, Michigan State. Maybe Penn State. To go along with Notre Dame WHEN they join as a football member.

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

No big 10 team is jumping in ACC.

This, decide whether you like Cincy, Rutgers, or MAAAYYBE Louisville as your next ACC member. B1G teams are borged into the conference via the CIC, they have no wills, only functions.

looks like ND is not really getting any significant money from ACC, also it's nice that ACC office will decide who ND plays and what years, not ND

Notre Dame will get one-fifteenth of the basketball revenue, Swofford said, which is about 20 percent of the annual ESPN payout.

The average annual payout of the ACC's deal is $17.1 million, which means Notre Dame's average annual share would be worth approximately $228,000.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/12/2336990/5-questions-about-acc-notre-dame.html#storylink=cpy

LOL. We're adding Purdue. No, Michigan State. Maybe Penn State. To go along with Notre Dame WHEN they join as a football member.

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:
I think people are just throwing names out there because it's fun. I'm not really seeing anyone leave the B1G for us, but if Penn State gets kicked out, as the B1G had insinuated...it could conceivably happen.

Truth be told I really don't know who the ACC could take as a 16th member. Rutgers is probably the best fit.

I wouldn't mind getting Navy. All of this predicated on Notre Dame joining eventually...which I think will happen.

Not sure if Navy is a very good fit for the ACC, as interesting as it would be to have their football program involved. Hasn't CPJ expressed his desire before to avoid coaching against Navy?

I think Rutgers is the most attractive target left on the board, being so close to the New York media market (largest in the US) with a bunch of other teams nearby. Also, Rutgers is an effing huge school by enrollment, has a decent endowment, and a crapload of academic cred.

acc-map.gif

EDIT: Rutgers is more than twice as big as UConn in every way (if you know what I mean).

Navy is the filler for Big East when ACC or Big 12 take more Big East teams.

Future Big East Football:
Uconn (possible ACC pick)
Rutgers (possible ACC pick)
Louisville (possible Big12 pick)
UCF
Cincy
USF
Temple

Memphis
Houston
SMU
Boise State
Navy
SDSU

UCF
Cincy
USF
Temple

Memphis
Houston
SMU
Boise State
Navy
SDSU

Dude you copied the Conference USA roster, go get the Big East one...oh wait...:bowrofl:

UCF
Cincy
USF
Temple

Memphis
Houston
SMU
Boise State
Navy
SDSU

That list just screams tradition.

I think Rutgers is the most attractive target left on the board, being so close to the New York media market (largest in the US) with a bunch of other teams nearby. Also, Rutgers is an effing huge school by enrollment, has a decent endowment, and a crapload of academic cred.

acc-map.gif

EDIT: Rutgers is more than twice as big as UConn in every way (if you know what I mean).

Rutgers is basically the flagship university of New Jersey, with some pretty good athletes in the state and surrounding areas. Why in the world can Rutgers never sustain any success?

Back