Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

USF is a good backup candidate if something happens and the B1G grabs Rutgers and we don't want UConn for some reason. Eighth largest university in the US, geographically situated, football program that would fit right in the ACC, decent academic credibility. They'd have by far the smallest endowment in the ACC (Clemson fans, rejoice!), but if you need a 16th team you could do worse. It would suck for us to have another team in Florida to recruit against in our conference, so I wouldn't be particularly enthused with it.

Looking at UConn from a football perspective, I'd rather have Rutgers, but UConn's basketball team has been pretty good too. I think it comes down to one of the two.

Elaborate...

From wiki:

USF is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a "very high research" institution.[9] In its 2010 ranking, the Intellectual Property Owners Association placed USF 9th among all universities worldwide in the number of US patents granted.[10] The university has an annual budget of $1.8 billion and an annual economic impact of $3.7 billion.[11] In a ranking compiled by the National Science Foundation, USF has the 50th highest research expenditure in the United States and in the state of Florida only trails the University of Florida. [12]
Twenty USF graduate programs are ranked in the top 100 of the 2012 America’s Best Graduate Schools edition of U.S. News & World Report.[13] USF is also one of the nation's top centers for the advancement in research of treatments for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases.[dead link][14]

:dunno: I don't know much about them, but it ain't tremendously bad.

What about Navy? Takes care of one of the teams that ND wants to play every year. Keep the 8 game conf schedule and they have 4 slots left for USC, Stanford, Michigan and then can either choose from OR alternate Purdue/Mich St.

Navy is in the footprint, has the academic standing that would fit the ACC, and has a national presence (if not, national following).

No way it's Navy. Their other sports either suck or are non-existent altogether.

It's either Penn State, Rutgers, Purdue, or UCONN.

From wiki:

:dunno: I don't know much about them, but it ain't tremendously bad.

They aren't Devry, but USF is SEC-bad academically. In fact, they're questionable for the SEC academically. No way the ACC presidents approve them - they'd probably laugh at the notion.

looks like ND is not really getting any significant money from ACC, also it's nice that ACC office will decide who ND plays and what years, not ND

Quote:
Notre Dame will get one-fifteenth of the basketball revenue, Swofford said, which is about 20 percent of the annual ESPN payout.

The average annual payout of the ACC's deal is $17.1 million, which means Notre Dame's average annual share would be worth approximately $228,000.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/12/2336990/5-questions-about-acc-notre-dame.html#storylink=cpy

I think the writer's math is wrong. The new ESPN TV contract supposedly pays the conf ~240 mil per year (which equates to 17.1 mil on average to all 14 schools). 80% of annual payout is football so that leaves the other 20% for basketball & other sports ~ 48mil. This 48mil will be split 15 ways, which amounts to 3.2mil for each school. Of course this is all gets a bump up when the TV contract gets renegotiated.

No way it's Navy. Their other sports either suck or are non-existent altogether.

It's either Penn State, Rutgers, Purdue, or UCONN.

They have the important sports. And with ACC revenue share they could grow the others.

Just throwing it out there as a means to meet ND halfway in joining as full member and still preserving their traditional rivalries.

Rutgers is basically the flagship university of New Jersey, with some pretty good athletes in the state and surrounding areas. Why in the world can Rutgers never sustain any success?

Rutgers will probably be it unless PSU finds a way "home". I think USF or Toronto is the best choice though. We need volume too.

Also how about a team out of Ohio? Ohio University, 35,000 students, decent school I think?

How bout we go back to the U of Chicago and convince them to get back into the business of sports? NW? They belong with us too.

What about Navy? Takes care of one of the teams that ND wants to play every year. Keep the 8 game conf schedule and they have 4 slots left for USC, Stanford, Michigan and then can either choose from OR alternate Purdue/Mich St.

Navy is in the footprint, has the academic standing that would fit the ACC, and has a national presence (if not, national following).

Navy isn't a good fit because they can't recruit. The Big East is a good place for them.

MSU is off the Notre Dame schedule for a couple of years coming up and a while back Purdue was off the schedule in 2017.

I think the writer's math is wrong. The new ESPN TV contract supposedly pays the conf ~240 mil per year (which equates to 17.1 mil on average to all 14 schools). 80% of annual payout is football so that leaves the other 20% for basketball & other sports ~ 48mil. This 48mil will be split 15 ways, which amounts to 3.2mil for each school. Of course this is all gets a bump up when the TV contract gets renegotiated.
you are right, that makes more sense. That's pretty good payout for basketball.

you are right, that makes more sense. That's pretty good payout for basketball.

Isn't the contract for something like 10 years, which would be an average of $320k per year. The $288k number might just be the first year since it escalates over time. In other words, you could both be right.

UConn brings NYC.

In basketball only.

The NYC college football market is dominated in the following order:

1. Notre Dame
2. Penn State
3. Rutgers
4. Michigan
5. ACC and SEC teams
6. Other B1G teams
7. Everyone else, including UConn

Isn't the contract for something like 10 years, which would be an average of $320k per year. The $288k number might just be the first year since it escalates over time. In other words, you could both be right.
read dmann's post above.

Navy isn't a good fit because they can't recruit. The Big East is a good place for them.

MSU is off the Notre Dame schedule for a couple of years coming up and a while back Purdue was off the schedule in 2017.

I think Michigan announced that they were coming off ND's schedule too.

As was suggested earlier, if ND's traditional rivals stop scheduling them, that would be a strong catalyst for ND to join the ACC in football.

No, it in no way affects the conference standings. Beating everybody in the ACC and losing to Notre Dame = a 9-0 conference record.

You misunderstood what I was saying. The only reason the conference standings matter is bowl placement. If we get 5th place, we will get the equivalent of a 6th place bowl bc ND will be ahead of us. Practically speaking, it knocks us down a notch in the standings unless we finish first in our division.

The Gator is no longer marquee. It is break even with the Artist formerly known as the Citrus Bowl. It is at the top of the middle tier.

1) Orange: $17.5m
2) Chikun: $3.967m
Gator: $2.5m
3) Russell: $2.3m
4) Sun: $2.05m
5) Belk: $1.6m
6) Music City: $1.7m
7) Shreveport? Really? $1.1m
8) Military Bowl: $1m
9) A baseball stadium? Really? $0.75m

Obviously bowls #7 and #9 need to effin' go. But we need to work with #3, #4, #5, #6, and #8 to grow them and get their payout up. They are good bowls in good locations.

We just have different standards of bowl games. I'd call the capital one bowl the biggest non-BCS bowl, and you put the gator bowl on the same footing. Basing it on payout is stupid. The Chik bowl picks only one slot ahead of the Gator bowl. Not to mention the Gator bowl is one of four January 1 games - capital one, outback, and ticketcity. In my mind the marquee bowl games are the BCS games, the big three on Jan 1, chik, and the cotton bowl. Call it what you want, but Jan 1 in jacksonville is 90 times better than December 28 in orlando

Back