Corn Elder

Once he is on campus he may just decide he wants to play football in the fall.

I don't think a player on a basketball scholarship can play any football without it counting toward our football numbers. And if he's using a football scholarship, I don't think CPJ would agree to let him focus on BB and just show up when it's convenient. If he wants to play ACC basketball, his best opportunity for now is to come to Tech and be a football player first. If he redshirts, he could get some extra BB time in as a freshman and try to prove his ability on the court.

I don't think a player on a basketball scholarship can play any football without it counting toward our football numbers. And if he's using a football scholarship, I don't think CPJ would agree to let him focus on BB and just show up when it's convenient. If he wants to play ACC basketball, his best opportunity for now is to come to Tech and be a football player first. If he redshirts, he could get some extra BB time in as a freshman and try to prove his ability on the court.

He actually would not be able to play football for 2 years if he came in on a B-Ball scholarship due to NCAA rules.

As it is now, imho, Elder has a professional future in Football and not B-Ball. He is the one that has to realize that. I would rather he be on our campus though when he does than Purdue's.

PJ needs to figure out how to get playmakers the ball rather than use the excuse he can't block.

d'anthony thomas sucks at blocking too

point is paul can do more in this offense to get these guys the rock on traps, sweeps, counters and oh by the way....if you have the ball you don't have to block. So we can do better being more creative.

Not always a fan of what you say but agree with this fully. We left some playmakers on the bench last year. My biggest worry is that Paul has moved from gunslinger to a play not to lose kind of coach.

We cannot leave speed on the bench. I will never understand why Day and Snoddy did not get dramatically more playing time. These two guys are home run threats every time they touch the ball. They have to get playing time.

During CGOL's winning years we were not the biggest at skill positions either but we had speed all over the place. He recruited speed. Time to get it on the field.

PJ needs to figure out how to get playmakers the ball rather than use the excuse he can't block.

d'anthony thomas sucks at blocking too

point is paul can do more in this offense to get these guys the rock on traps, sweeps, counters and oh by the way....if you have the ball you don't have to block. So we can do better being more creative.

Not always a fan of what you say but agree with this fully. We left some playmakers on the bench last year. My biggest worry is that Paul has moved from gunslinger to a play not to lose kind of coach.

We cannot leave speed on the bench. I will never understand why Day and Snoddy did not get dramatically more playing time. These two guys are home run threats every time they touch the ball. They have to get playing time.

During CGOL's winning years we were not the biggest at skill positions either but we had speed all over the place. He recruited speed. Time to get it on the field.

You can't have players that never block and only carry. Then every time they come in the game the other team knows exactly who is getting it.

I hope Corn becomes a proficient blocker fast. Getting him or JT the ball on a rocket toss or reverse would be incredible.

Our bball program is on the verge of once again being a perennial tourney team and a major player in the ACC. I am not in favor of CBG signing a player that might not fit just BC we want him to play football.

PG for basketball is a much bigger need than AB for football.

You can't have players that never block and only carry. Then every time they come in the game the other team knows exactly who is getting it.

I hope Corn becomes a proficient blocker fast. Getting him or JT the ball on a rocket toss or reverse would be incredible.

not at all true. Line him in the slot in a 3wr pistol form and work him out of that.

Stop thinking about using him as an every down AB in the flex.

You put him off to the side in a 3WR look and use him out of sweeps, the passing game, and D'anthony thomas type options and his blocking responsibility goes down. You run a read option with the QB and BB in the pistol and the slot WR on backside blocking isn't as critical. If the slot WR is playside read, he needs to block BUT by mere formation his block key is now WELL OUTSIDE The tackle box. Unlike in the flexbone which stacks the nickel back or OLB in the tackle block....creating a VERY critical AB arc block need. In the 3 WR spread set, this person is now well outside the 9 gap.

You guys need to stop making excuses and understand how football assignments work. When the OLB in base or Nickel DB flashes out to cover the slot, and you read off the end, all the slot AB has to do is "get in the way"; he doesn't need to execute a perfect scoop or cut, like he would in the flex to seal the edge. The slot wr bringing his assignment out creates space for the QB or BB that is not there in the flex. This is why formations are used in football..DUH, to create angle and number advantages. You sit in the same formation play after play, after play, then yes you can get personnel tendancies. I mean its not like Orwin is a great blocker either.

Paul needs to get more creative. I am sorry. If you do this you can't key on Elder, Snoddy or whoever. Its called being creative. Run inside slot screens in this formation.

If we don't do this with Vad and his capability to throw, its going to be a long season. We need to get speed on the field and stop using blocking out of the traditional flex as an excuse. Get freaking creative.

not at all true. Line him in the slot in a 3wr pistol form and work him out of that.

Stop thinking about using him as an every down AB in the flex.

You put him off to the side in a 3WR look and use him out of sweeps, the passing game, and D'anthony thomas type options and his blocking responsibility goes down. You run a read option with the QB and BB in the pistol and the slot WR on backside blocking isn't as critical. If the slot WR is playside read, he needs to block BUT by mere formation his block key is now WELL OUTSIDE The tackle box. Unlike in the flexbone which stacks the nickel back or OLB in the tackle block....creating a VERY critical AB arc block need. In the 3 WR spread set, this person is now well outside the 9 gap.

You guys need to stop making excuses and understand how football assignments work. When the OLB in base or Nickel DB flashes out to cover the slot, and you read off the end, all the slot AB has to do is "get in the way"; he doesn't need to execute a perfect scoop or cut, like he would in the flex to seal the edge. The slot wr bringing his assignment out creates space for the QB or BB that is not there in the flex. This is why formations are used in football..DUH, to create angle and number advantages. You sit in the same formation play after play, after play, then yes you can get personnel tendancies. I mean its not like Orwin is a great blocker either.

Paul needs to get more creative. I am sorry. If you do this you can't key on Elder, Snoddy or whoever. Its called being creative. Run inside slot screens in this formation.

If we don't do this with Vad and his capability to throw, its going to be a long season. We need to get speed on the field and stop using blocking out of the traditional flex as an excuse. Get freakingcreative.

Agree with this 100%. We need speed and our best athletes on the field. We have been so limited with our offense because of our QB situation and hopefully PJ can get the ball to guys like Bostic and Snoddy and hopefully Elder. If we continue to run what we've been running with our offense. Paul will be gone soon.

Some of you need to realize that our offense has issues. I know we love to look at the big numbers against these terrible defenses. Couldn't score against UGA, FSU or BYU. But man we look great against Duke.

Hell our pro style O of the past couldn't either. The issues on O will be resolved when CPJ can recruit or develop a qb worth a öööö. If he can't he will likely be gone in a few years.

Our bball program is on the verge of once again being a perennial tourney team and a major player in the ACC. I am not in favor of CBG signing a player that might not fit just BC we want him to play football.

I agree with this statement. However, the recruit we are currently after is not in my opinion that much better than Elder as a PG. In fact Elder is more explosive and probably has a higher upside. Just for comparison...

Jorgenson 6' 162#, B-Ball offers from BC, GT, Creighton, OK St.

Elder 5'11" 170#, B-Ball offers from Purdue, Jax St., MTSU, Tenn. St.

Some of you need to realize that our offense has issues. I know we love to look at the big numbers against these terrible defenses. Couldn't score against UGA, FSU or BYU. But man we look great against Duke.

Our offensive issues this past season against most of these teams were usually due to perimeter blocking, and not being able to stand up athletic LB'ers on the edge or hold up CB's. Why would putting bad blockers on the field improve our ability to block on the perimeter?

Teams were able to clog the middle, track us down with LB'ers effectively and dare us to pass last season. I doubt that will work this coming season, and maybe that will give us the edge we need to allow for more playmakers to see the field with some regularity.

I can't agree with you more.

Too many people forgetting how critical blocking is to ANY offense, not just ours.

One of the few things Dabo does better than PJ is ride his best horses. Figure out who can make plays and get them the öööö ball. PJs playcalling was baffling at points the past few years. I agree with 33, we need to be creative and let our playmakers make plays.

If Corn is good for a handful of good plays a game, who cares about his blocking. Just make it happen. Once teams key on him, use him as a decoy. That's just as good as laying a big block.

I can't agree with you more.

Too many people forgetting how critical blocking is to ANY offense, not just ours.

Blocking is important and especially in our offense. No other offense relies on the blocking of their RB's and WR's as much as we do. But if this kid is an average blocker he can still be a difference maker. Not every AB has to be Roddy Jones.

Dude, that's just a dumbass statement. BYU and FSU were top 5 defenses nationally. We played like crap against them by our standards, but really we did just as well against them as most other teams did. The UGA game was just an all-around debacle.

The O needs to improve if we want to be an elite team, but it's pretty öööö good already, especially with our talent level.

I agree with this statement. However, the recruit we are currently after is not in my opinion that much better than Elder as a PG. In fact Elder is more explosive and probably has a higher upside. Just for comparison...

Jorgenson 6' 162#, B-Ball offers from BC, GT, Creighton, OK St.

Elder 5'11" 170#, B-Ball offers from Purdue, Jax St., MTSU, Tenn. St.

You can't give him a basketball scholarship and let him play football. If CBG gives him a BB-only scholarship, it's because he thinks he's worth it purely for basketball.

As for skills, Charlie Ward did just fine at basketball and football too.

Blocking is important and especially in our offense. No other offense relies on the blocking of their RB's and WR's as much as we do. But if this kid is an average blocker he can still be a difference maker. Not every AB has to be Roddy Jones.

Don't be so naive. For every long gain by a ball carrier, there's another player that made a critical downfield block. Just because you don't see it on the TV doesn't mean the block didn't happen.

You think Orwin's 95 yard TD run against Kansas in 2011 was because Orwin was just that fast? :rotfl:

Back