Couple of observations

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Georgia looks a hell of a lot better than us

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Today was the first time I noticed it being that bad. Usually we are very seldom in that situation. I don't if CPJ was looking for something based on alignment or what, but we really struggled with the play clock today.
Thomas didnt know what to do, CPJ was calling from the sideline (thumbs up or thumbs down). JT/offense was unprepared for what ND was doing.

floridajacket

The Real DB Cooper
Mover2, agree with about everything you said in your OP. We're good on third downs when it's not 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 all day long. And it was third and pocketful of change all day long.
We were good at third downs even from those distances last year. Even after correcting for distance, we were the best in 3rd and long situations.

If "we're in 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 all day long," that means the offense is pretty bad to begin with.

One thing I've learned watching college football is teams have a lot of variance. ND's defense had a bad game against UVA and a very good game against us. I HIGHLY doubt the season will show UVA having a much better offense than us.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
We were good at third downs even from those distances last year. Even after correcting for distance, we were the best in 3rd and long situations.

If "we're in 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 all day long," that means the offense is pretty bad to begin with.

One thing I've learned watching college football is teams have a lot of variance. ND's defense had a bad game against UVA and a very good game against us. I HIGHLY doubt the season will show UVA having a much better offense than us.

The offense was pretty bad all day. I don't know if we had a game where just about every third down was third 8 or 9 last year. to have to consistently get those is hard on any offense, including ours.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
The offense was pretty bad all day. I don't know if we had a game where just about every third down was third 8 or 9 last year. to have to consistently get those is hard on any offense, including ours.
Play calling was a big part of it. I get that it's late second guessing, but we appeared to be trying to hit the homerun too much on offense and the line isn't there yet.

GT98

Dodd-Like
+1. We also missed 6 points on FGs. Don't know how the end would have played out, but the 13 points from the TD recall and FGs would have likely changed a lot.
The missed FGs were back breakers. Certainly, it changes the play calling the 2nd half (I think?).

Punting in the first half was atrocious.

Also, this wasn't one of CPJ's better called games--then again, w/ND beating the blocks that weren't missed, it will look that way.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
1. JT was just not JT today. He has had very few days like today. Would expect he will not have many more.
2. We burned four of our six timeouts because the play clock was running out. I saw JT looking to the sideline a lot more today than I have seen in the past.
3. We had a touchdown called back that would have put the game at 16-14 with a holding call. Don't know if that changes the outcome of the game, but it sure didn't help.
4. I think some of our players were blinded by the big stage today.
5. Our D kept us in the game, but when you don't get any help from offense it makes it difficult.
6. Third down conversion was like 2 out 13 or something like that. Last year we were almost automatic.
7. Notre Dame defense is pretty öööö good. They played almost perfect assignment football today which is how you defend the 3O.
8. We have to rebound and come out strong against Duke next week. Nothing has been lost today except one game.

Always nice to see someone that knows what the hell they are talking about come to the defense of our student athletes and coaching staff.

Lots of things happened today, and if some went differently, could've been an entirely different game. Here's to revenge next week!

Buzzing72

Jolly Good Fellow
Good post. I really think the big stage and all the hype got to our guys today. Playing two high school teams before this game didn't help either. Hopefully it will make us more humble moving forward. The defense is much improved. I thought they played well today for the most part. the sky isn't falling I still think this will be a special season.

jdubjacket

Dodd-Like
Good post. I really think the big stage and all the hype got to our guys today. Playing two high school teams before this game didn't help either. Hopefully it will make us more humble moving forward. The defense is much improved. I thought they played well today for the most part. the sky isn't falling I still think this will be a special season.
I'm just hoping we don't come out flat against Duke. Going from South Bend to Durham is like night and day crowd wise.

staggerwing

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Was happy with the defense, personally. Aside from the 3-and-20 TD bomb to Fuller, they were legit and played well enough to win, despite being routinely ööööed over by our horribad special teams.

Also that TD-nullifying holding call was a game-changer. Not saying we would have won, but I liked our chances at 16-14 at that point against a top 10 team on the big stage.

Didn't really expect to win this game, frankly, just didn't expect the offense to lose it for us. Regardless, we can still roll through the Coastal and go to a nice bowl.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
I was watching in person, so no replays, but their first TD looked to have come from a pretty blatant push off by the receiver (to add to the griping about officiating).

Regardless we were simply getting shut down on offense. Quite disappointing, but I think this team can and will bounce back.

eg1

Dodd-Like
Or is ND a ööööload better than SCeast?

I was watching in person, so no replays, but their first TD looked to have come from a pretty blatant push off by the receiver (to add to the griping about officiating).

Regardless we were simply getting shut down on offense. Quite disappointing, but I think this team can and will bounce back.
Yeah, PJ was snapping on the ref after that play. Between that and the phantom hold call on JT5's TD it wasn't going our way. Still got owned up front and shat ourselves in the kicking game -- no excuses there

stingmeyall

Flats Noob
1. JT was just not JT today. He has had very few days like today. Would expect he will not have many more.
2. We burned four of our six timeouts because the play clock was running out. I saw JT looking to the sideline a lot more today than I have seen in the past.
3. We had a touchdown called back that would have put the game at 16-14 with a holding call. Don't know if that changes the outcome of the game, but it sure didn't help.
4. I think some of our players were blinded by the big stage today.
5. Our D kept us in the game, but when you don't get any help from offense it makes it difficult.
6. Third down conversion was like 2 out 13 or something like that. Last year we were almost automatic.
7. Notre Dame defense is pretty öööö good. They played almost perfect assignment football today which is how you defend the 3O.
8. We have to rebound and come out strong against Duke next week. Nothing has been lost today except one game.
Good observations 2. I was overly sold after last season and our first 2 games. I feel we didn't play a solid game and Van Gorder had an excellent defensive gameplan. If Butker had converted and we hadn't got the ööööty hold call on Joe. That's 13 points off the board. And even though I think we were outplayed we still could have stolen one. Also I thought Fuller was allowed to push off on a couple of his big catches. JT played horrible and I don't agree with a lot of the posters that are blaming the OL. I believe JT just had an unusually bad game. Would have been nice to had Tim available. Got to put this one in the rear view and get ready for Duke because if we don't we will be 2-2 and looking at having a tough season.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
+1. We also missed 6 points on FGs. Don't know how the end would have played out, but the 13 points from the TD recall and FGs would have likely changed a lot.
Didn't one FG miss come after the called back TD? If so, I guess technically we left 10 points on the field if you're playing "what if."

Punting was atrocious yesterday - that certainly didn't help things.

JRjr

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
It was because ND kept lining up in different fronts. Caused JT and our blockers lots of confusion. They would be in 4-3 then next drive 5-2. It was constantly changing, sometimes even play to play. Of course...they then threw our blockers around like rag dolls and got to the ball.

beej67

new around here
Georgia didn't complete a pass against Vandy until the 3rd quarter.

It's too early to know much. We aren't a top 10 team, but I'm not convinced UGA is one.

beej67

new around here
It was because ND kept lining up in different fronts. Caused JT and our blockers lots of confusion. They would be in 4-3 then next drive 5-2. It was constantly changing, sometimes even play to play. Of course...they then threw our blockers around like rag dolls and got to the ball.
Yep.

Their defense game plan was very good.

Regardless, we needed to block better on the perimeter.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
And the shifting is exactly what Duke did last year when their D made JT5 look like a first year starter.

Hopefully, the loss will help us prepare for Duke shifting between 3,4, and 5 man fronts before the snap. Maybe have a hot play with just the OL, JT5, and the BBack to snap the ball early and catch them mid shift.