CPJ doesn't seem thrilled...

There's a right way to handle stepping down, and no one should be surprised if Paul Johnson does something different.

I think that he handled this pretty well. By doing it in the manner that he did--he left GT w/time to get a coach in prior to the early signing period. In addition, he saved the school $$$ instead of forcing Tstan into a decision regarding the whole buyout. Lastly, he has gone on about TStan "getting it" and understanding behind the scenes what needs to be done to improve GT athletics.

I'm thankful for the really good years under CPJ and wish him well. Looking forward to seeing what Coach Collins can do. My fingers are crossed that he can bring in an innovator on offense.

I'll defend to my death the notion that the offense was not holding us back. CPJ scored more than Hugh Heffner and won an Orange Bowl with half a hundred points. But he never was able to put a solid defense and special teams on the field in the same year, except maybe 2009 and 2014.

I applaud CGC using the NFL angle to attract talent right away, and in no way do I interpret that as a dig on CPJ. CPJ was an offensive genius. CGC is a recruiting genius. Both of them seem to have a lot thicker skin than most board lurkers.

All I'll add is that the two coaches who've won titles recently, Saban and Dabo, are both awful coaches that would get shredded by CPJ with even talent on the field. Dabo was not a superb WR coach and Saban got his ass kicked in the NFL where the talent gap is razor thin. They both hire good coordinators to handle Xs and Os, and they are both really, really good at talking to 17-year-old recruits.

According to Urban Meyer, a successful HC on the field, recruiting is responsible for 80% of your success as a college HC

Basically CPJ was playing a simulation form of CFB where recruiting doesn't matter

It matters, and the game that CPJ was playing where everyone has equal talent doesn't exist, he should have known that and tweaked what he was doing to maximize the talent coming into GT

The most successful modern day College HCs, are talent first-scheme second, whereas CPJ relied on his scheme to solve all of GT's FB issues, when he should have sought out a better balance between scheme and talent

I'm pumped as all hell about Coach G, and what he can do recruiting here in Ga

According to Urban Meyer, a successful HC on the field, recruiting is responsible for 80% of your success as a college HC

Basically CPJ was playing a simulation form of CFB where recruiting doesn't matter

It matters, and the game that CPJ was playing where everyone has equal talent doesn't exist, he should have known that and tweaked what he was doing to maximize the talent coming into GT

The most successful modern day College HCs, are talent first-scheme second, whereas CPJ relied on his scheme to solve all of GT's FB issues, when he should have sought out a better balance between scheme and talent

I'm pumped as all hell about Coach G, and what he can do recruiting here in Ga

Good way of putting it. No one has won a national title because of scheme in the last 20 years, except maybe Urban, who himself was the source of your quote. At the college level, where there is no salary cap or draft providing structural balance to keep the talent gap thin, the way you win is by getting 16-year-olds to believe anything you say and committing to your school so your team is bigger and faster at every position. You can then suck at coaching as bad as Saban sucked at Miami, and win titles anyway.

We got the first step done by hiring CGC. The next step is getting good coordinators to actually handle coaching football.

Newly hired head coaches often inherit a program in disarray. Teams looking to replace their coach are usually coming off a 2-10 season and a roster depleted of good athletes. CGC is coming into a much more appealing situation. He is inheriting a bowl team that finished 2nd in their division and he'll be able to focus mostly on recruiting for the next couple months. We should probably give CPJ some credit that he is leaving behind a healthy program, but many of his critics make it sound like CGC is riding in on a white horse to save the team.

I am not against CGC. But the hype train is just what it is, a hype train. Some fans are so excited based on nothing more than reciprocated liking.... how in the hell can you be excited given any hard data consideration. You are excited based on emotion and emotions will crash on the rocks of reality.

I know I am angry, I know I liked CPJ. I know it was near time for a change....

But no way in hell I am excited over the current change. What has he done to make you excited.... talk?

Be excited because you got a coach known for winning. Be excited for a coach who has demonstrated recruiting top classes at a school with less than 80k seats. Be excited for a coach who has demonstrated out think other coaches. But, the excitement is all based on self generating hype.

GT will do the same thing as everyone else and have the anchor of our limitations...

If it is just about being good recruiting, why is basketball not brining in the talent? Think basketball and now think GT and you have the future...

What has he done to make you excited.... talk?
He's a proven recruiter - Saban hired him for his ability plus the GT 2007 class.
He's a proven coach based on his defenses at UF and MSt.
He's local, he's young, he already understands what a pain in the ass GT is, he understands brand awareness and he seems to have limitless energy.

What's not to be excited about?

...with CGC or the media perception.

Makes several back handed statements like "I haven't recruited for 11 years... that's the party line, right? I don't know how we have won any games." Then mentions how he hasn't seen Geoff much. Says "he must be out recruiting" and smirks.

I'm sure he feels disrespected with Tech throwing out the option, but he should've seen that coming. I love the guy, but he should be proud that the team he's built for the last 11 years is not skipping a beat and is being handed off to a capable coach.

Iiwii

He seems rude and sarcastic but when you are always rude and sarcastic iiwii.

He's a proven recruiter - Saban hired him for his ability plus the GT 2007 class.
He's a proven coach based on his defenses at UF and MSt.
He's local, he's young, he already understands what a pain in the ass GT is, he understands brand awareness and he seems to have limitless energy.

What's not to be excited about?

The fact that he has no real track record as a head coach. Everything you've listed is reason for optimism, but this is definitely a risky hire. There's no reason to deny support, but there's plenty of reason to slow down the hype so as not to set him up for failure.

He could set a ööööing watch on the counter of the top recruit in the country, if he were so inclined, walk out the door and that recruit would be ours. However, he is of the Bill Curry school of "we are going to show the rest of CFB how to become champions running a clean program" dude

Oh, hell no. I’m all about winning now. I’ve posted multiple times on here about the desire to be a bagman, but no DMs yet explaining how we’re going to get started / who to target, etc. I even have a strategy on how to use watches as untraceable gifts and open a small watch shop as a front.

You mean the 15 and 10 last two seasons at Temple after going 20 and 8 before him and having normal to lesser recruiting than average.

He did run a good defense at UF. Woody also ran a good defense at App state.

His Temple defense was good too... not so good on offense.

Yeah you can tell that CPJ is not oblivious to the fact that people have been insinuating that the new guy can recruit and he couldn't, but he seems like normal CPJ though...the IIWII attitude we all loved.

Regardless, I do feel like CFB has changed over the past 11 years, and I am very happy about the direction the program seems to be moving, because I think CGC's method is more effective in 2018 to attract talent than CPJ's method.

As others have mentioned, CPJ choosing to retire made this entire situation so much better. He gets to go out with fanfare, and we get to move on to someone who is excited to be coaching. After all the good times we had with CPJ I really did not want him to be fired, but I was definitely ready for a change. Now all we can do is hope that the correct decision was made for the new staff.
I believe that's how most Tech football fans feel now, except for the die hard PJ people. His schtik was getting old 5 years ago. Attendance failing and little interest in seeing more of the same with the TO. We have no idea how Collins might do,but his demanor and actions are 100x better " than you know who".

no one. The CPJ fanboys are still butthurt about him quitting.

I'm a CPJ fanboy, and I think the time was right. I'm glad he's leaving under his own terms after turning a bad season around somewhat, and that he's not staying after his heart's not in it anymore to force us to pay his buyout. It was always going to be painful to go back to an NFL offense after the 3O, and this is about as ideal of a transition as we could have hoped for (so far). We really do have CPJ to thank for that.

No doubt Paul bailed Stans out by making the decision himself.

But also, I'd think if Paul didn't think Stansbury was being sincere he might not be willing to play the game by doing things like tonight.
It may be a mutual 'playing of the game.' CPJ doesn't want to burn bridges, either. Both of them realize it's time for a change, and both of them are doing it as graciously as they can. Honestly, if you're not going to go out like John Elway or Ted Williams, this is the best way for it to happen for us.

CPJ is a proud man and has spent the past decade building the program to where it is. While he did leave on his own accord, he can't be too happy to see it rebuilt in a different form. I imagine he would have been happier with a triple option progeny.

I hope CGC doesn't say anything about "bringing the program into the 21st century". CPJ has a long memory.

Back