CPJ doesn't seem thrilled...

mfw.jpg

upload_2018-12-11_21-47-48.jpeg

In the grand scheme of things, W’s and L’s, CPJ has a lot to be proud of. There have been some ups and downs, but outside of the Holy Trinity of GT head football coaches, he’s been as successful as any other coach.
We sure like to hire coaches with B first names lol

öööö it. Same attitude he has had for 11 years. Why would anyone expect different? He is what he is.

I can’t blame him. Over of a decade of his life spent laboring over a game that he did well at, only to have bitchy tech fans make is job hard. The man did a great job and I hope he continues to support the program in the same way that Beamer does at va tech.

Have you ever seen the media give CPJ or the option a fair shake. How many uga fans have told you to get rid of that high school offense. How many times have you read that recruiting sucks because of the option. What other offense has a new coach come in and trash and offense (GSU...by saying there is no option on all school buses) that has won championships. I know of no other offense that achieves more with less and yet is trashed in the media and by fans.

CPJ knows that hype will only go so far... as GT is what it is and has a history to back it up. We all know some on his staff were not good recruiters and not everyone wants to play in the option... thank you media for an undeserved black eye. CPJ is smirking as he knows the average will be the average recruiting for GT. CPJ had highs and lows in results with steady recruiting. The next guy may have highs and lows with recruiting... let’s see how the wins average out and peak and valley... even with more support from the AD.

You are about to see the true effect of a 12 year old APR change that effects GT more than any school and that CPJ absorbed.

The next 4 years GT loses to uga... ask yourself if it had anything at all to do with the offense GT runs. I’ll make sure to ask why GT did not win... we changed the O and everything. I am sure I’ll get banned at some point...

CPJ did not waste his years at GT, but there is no doubt he would have achieved more at a school without GTs limitations.

I’ll give the man his smirk and let the future history speak for itself.

In all seriousness, will you stick around and continue the offensive/defensive breakdown videos after CPJ is gone? I've always enjoyed them. A lot of others who did what you do are leaving the boards, along with CPJ and his offense.

I'm just confused by your ST persona these days. What happened to complaining about your ex-wife? I could understand that guy. This guy I don't.

He's a performance artiste.

Gosh this is no big deal. He cracked a joke and kinda made his point that he gets beat up for his recruiting. Which is just avg at best. Paul needs to realize he can not be good at things too. No one is always the best at everything.

With that said he isnt butthurt and it was no biggy. Goeff has to close a class with signing day around the corner and worry about moving. I wouldn’t expect him to be there immediately after he was hired. Heck even with paul was hired it took him over a week to get to tech and its not like he was an active bowl practice goer.

So eh. Not much to see here
I think there was a little butt-hurt on CPJ's part, but just a little. He choreographed all of this by the timing of his departure, and putting the new coach in a bind as far as making the recruiting deadline. His entire tenure here he has had to listen to "won with Chan's players", etc., so I am sure he is sensitive to criticism of his recruiting. Rather than being upset, he is probably more along the lines of "I did pretty good with lesser players".

CGC... what is the data that says he is a recruiting genius? Good maybe, but genius?

No matter how much a genius wants a kid and makes the kid want to come to GT...or even finds bag men to make the commit happen...the kid has to pass the classes towards getting a degree.

The only evidence that he is a recruiting genius are his claims that he is. Good enough for me for now, I can wait until Feb 2020 to see if it's true.

I think there was a little butt-hurt on CPJ's part, but just a little. He choreographed all of this by the timing of his departure, and putting the new coach in a bind as far as making the recruiting deadline. His entire tenure here he has had to listen to "won with Chan's players", etc., so I am sure he is sensitive to criticism of his recruiting. Rather than being upset, he is probably more along the lines of "I did pretty good with lesser players".
Would you rather he wait until after the deadline so that guys who don't fit a pro style offense are already signed? Then we're stuck with them and they will probably have missed the boat on some other opportunities. PJ called it quits at the right time, in more ways than one.

Paul’s only gonna be here two more weeks but I have a feeling the board will be rehashing all of the same CPJ topics for years to come.
I think that's because Paul's personality lends itself to some pretty good memes. With Geoff, once we've exhausted the coked-up jackrabbit dry humping recruits' legs in their living rooms, we don't have much. He doesn't seem to have much depth to his personality, whereas Paul's IIWII existential dread lends itself well to Tech's depressive fan base.

lol. Everyone is trashing his players, his offensive system and saying how smart Tech is to modernize and move on. Saying the kid he’s worked with have no talent, etc. giving the new coach 7 years for the monumental task of rebuilding a year in year out contender to make the ACC Championship game. You’re right he should just take it lying down.
Who specifically is saying this other than StingTalk geniuses?

Coach has always had a chip on his shoulder about this offense. Maybe it's what drives him? I will be curious to see how interested in the bowl game he is. I can't fathom how he would give it 100%, especially hearing this interview where he just shrugged *meh* when asked if it felt good to be back at practice?

@gtphd this is how you subtle brag not so subtly. No one cares about your watches, are you a top booster?
He could set a ööööing watch on the counter of the top recruit in the country, if he were so inclined, walk out the door and that recruit would be ours. However, he is of the Bill Curry school of "we are going to show the rest of CFB how to become champions running a clean program" dude

Would you rather he wait until after the deadline so that guys who don't fit a pro style offense are already signed? Then we're stuck with them and they will probably have missed the boat on some other opportunities. PJ called it quits at the right time, in more ways than one.
I wasn't criticizing his timing, but he, and he alone (he says), made the decision to retire and when. Now the new coach is scrambling to do exactly what you said---fill the class with recruits HE can use, and make decisions on others that Johnson had been pursuing. So Collins is out there on the recruiting trail working for next years team, doing what needs to be done for Georgia Tech. But CPJ can't resist a couple of catty remarks.

Have you ever seen the media give CPJ or the option a fair shake. How many uga fans have told you to get rid of that high school offense. How many times have you read that recruiting sucks because of the option. What other offense has a new coach come in and trash and offense (GSU...by saying there is no option on all school buses) that has won championships. I know of no other offense that achieves more with less and yet is trashed in the media and by fans.

CPJ knows that hype will only go so far... as GT is what it is and has a history to back it up. We all know some on his staff were not good recruiters and not everyone wants to play in the option... thank you media for an undeserved black eye. CPJ is smirking as he knows the average will be the average recruiting for GT. CPJ had highs and lows in results with steady recruiting. The next guy may have highs and lows with recruiting... let’s see how the wins average out and peak and valley... even with more support from the AD.

You are about to see the true effect of a 12 year old APR change that effects GT more than any school and that CPJ absorbed.

The next 4 years GT loses to uga... ask yourself if it had anything at all to do with the offense GT runs. I’ll make sure to ask why GT did not win... we changed the O and everything. I am sure I’ll get banned at some point...

CPJ did not waste his years at GT, but there is no doubt he would have achieved more at a school without GTs limitations.

I’ll give the man his smirk and let the future history speak for itself.

I love CPJ. I think his time here was magical. He's a Tech legend.

However, looking back, while I can respect and understand his point of view, I think he did himself a disservice by being so dismissive of the criticism that popped up about the offense. I get it. He's had to battle it most of his entire coaching career. I'm sure it personally wore thin on him. That's to be expected. I do think though life would have been a bit easier for him if he was a bit more active in keeping up the good fight for the sake of his career and program. He admitted most anytime it was brought up publicly basically, "I don't even try to fight it anymore. I stopped that years ago."

Uhh...well, the recruits or potential recruits are only hearing the drawbacks. He needed to speak to them.

There's a right way to handle stepping down, and no one should be surprised if Paul Johnson does something different.

Back