CPJ doesn't seem thrilled...

Paul Johnson really is just like every other salty ass, bitter Tech engineer. I sure am going to miss him.

Lol yes he is! A typical rich, arrogant, GT, asshole. I love those guys. The ones who add in some people skills and humility become CEOs.

I didn't have any problem with what Stan and Geoff have said nor did I have any problem with what CPJ said in this press conference. I really found his comment about not recruiting pretty funny and clearly so did the room (sounded like a lot of genuine laughter). I think he's earned the right to say that. CPJ has brought us some great times in his long tenure here at GT. I respect the man very much and respect that he's done things the right way at GT. I will have very fond memories of his time at GT. And now it's time to move on and I'm very excited about the potential with Geoff Collins.

In his introductory press conf, CGC said he was going to emphasize recruiting, even though some people didn't. He also said he was going to emphasize defense and special teams. He also said that the "heart of college football was going to run through Bobby Dodd Stadium." That's great. I think what CPJ is thinking is, "Wait till this guy has to work with the Hill and sees how hard it really is to win at Tech." CPJ said in his last press conf, when asked about CGC, "Great. Everybody seems excited that he's here, and he seems excited to be here. That's great." He also said that, at Western Carolina, he majored in Sports and got a C in football coaching. I wouldn't blame him, if he felt like what he accomplished is being overlooked by people who are so excited about what CGC talks about accomplishing. I hope CGC will be a huge success, but I think CPJ was under appreciated. I'm sure there are going to be days that we wish we had him back. I'm pleased with CGC, but I already miss CPJ, even though I got frustrated with him some of the time. I wonder if he's having "buyer's remorse" about resigning. I also wonder if he was encouraged to resign or if TStan failed to try to talk him out of resigning. But, a year ago, CPJ's agent told Tennessee that CPJ wanted the Vols' job. So, as a great man often said, it is what it is. By the way, does anybody know how much CGC is making and what we're paying CPJ as he leaves?

In his introductory press conf, CGC said he was going to emphasize recruiting, even though some people didn't. He also said he was going to emphasize defense and special teams. He also said that the "heart of college football was going to run through Bobby Dodd Stadium." That's great. I think what CPJ is thinking is, "Wait till this guy has to work with the Hill and sees how hard it really is to win at Tech." CPJ said in his last press conf, when asked about CGC, "Great. Everybody seems excited that he's here, and he seems excited to be here. That's great." He also said that, at Western Carolina, he majored in Sports and got a C in football coaching. I wouldn't blame him, if he felt like what he accomplished is being overlooked by people who are so excited about what CGC talks about accomplishing. I hope CGC will be a huge success, but I think CPJ was under appreciated. I'm sure there are going to be days that we wish we had him back. I'm pleased with CGC, but I already miss CPJ, even though I got frustrated with him some of the time. I wonder if he's having "buyer's remorse" about resigning. I also wonder if he was encouraged to resign or if TStan failed to try to talk him out of resigning. But, a year ago, CPJ's agent told Tennessee that CPJ wanted the Vols' job. So, as a great man often said, it is what it is. By the way, does anybody know how much CGC is making and what we're paying CPJ as he leaves?

underappreciated? Really? The guy got $30 million+ and got extended after a losing season.

CPJ got the right amount of appreciation for his accomplishments at GT esp. after trying to use that extension to get a better deal at UT, which wisely declined.

Frankly, CPJ's scheme and recruiting put us in a hole and I wish CGC the best of luck getting us the öööö out of it.

Incoming coaches say a lot of things. I recall Paul Johnson saying the came to Georgia Tech to win championships. And I am not sure he ever "wanted the Vols' job" as much as he wanted them to know he was interested in being considered for the Tennessee job.

This is typical CPJ. I’m excited about the future (what’s the alternative) but my 50 years have taught me to worry about how the steak tastes and not get caught up watching the flame. What we see in Johnson is a guy later in life who has seen the real side of college athletics. Add to that an environment that GT has and the guy is worn down and done playing games. Collins is entering his 3rd year as a HC. It’s gonna be a wild 180. Let’s see what the steak tastes like in 4 years.

...with CGC or the media perception.

Makes several back handed statements like "I haven't recruited for 11 years... that's the party line, right? I don't know how we have won any games." Then mentions how he hasn't seen Geoff much. Says "he must be out recruiting" and smirks.

I'm sure he feels disrespected with Tech throwing out the option, but he should've seen that coming. I love the guy, but he should be proud that the team he's built for the last 11 years is not skipping a beat and is being handed off to a capable coach.

We all know Paul's gonna say what he thinks, but I'm gonna wait and see if Collins is a work horse or a show horse. Based on what I've heard it could go either way. It won't take long to figure that out.

Finally got a chance to watch the video. Talk about fake news from the OP. That was a standard post-practice presser by CPJ. The recruiting comment was a joke and everyone got it. The smirk occurred several minutes after the recruiting joke and was obviously a reference back to that joke.

We all know Paul's gonna say what he thinks, but I'm gonna wait and see if Collins is a work horse or a show horse. Based on what I've heard it could go either way. It won't take long to figure that out.

Proof will be in the coordinators. It is much cheaper to cycle through those to find a great up and comer if you have a program that can recruit.

If we do it right, we can end up like michigan state. Great up years, ok down years and occasionally upset the big boys and win the conference.

If we miss, we end up like Pitt or NCSt and get to talk about guys we put into the league with predominantly meh years.

If we really screw the pooch, TS is let go and we hire Monken who will still be available.

Have you ever seen the media give CPJ or the option a fair shake.

This is just wrong. I haven’t watched a game with Tech where the commentators don’t go on about how CPJ is an offensive genius who doesn’t even need a play sheet, and how even if the team doesn’t throw, it’s got more yards than anyone else, and how it is top 2 or 3 in rushing. The hype that the media, specifically ESPN which a lot here love to hate, built up for some of our Thursday night games, like the one against Miami, was insane. Commentators would regularly talk about how our offense was 30 yards and a cloud of dust. And in years where we passed well, they would make it a point to say that even though we don’t pass much, when we do, it’s for a lot of yards. Further, our corps of WRs who made it to the NFL would regularly have a graphics panel devoted to them (often even wrongly including Calvin Johnson).

There were a couple of people in the local media (his name rhymes with Bark Madly) who were negative about him, but he has been negative about all things Tech since well before. About the only other not positive media coverage he got was Ken asking him questions he didn’t like. Well guess what, that’s what all local media does. Even Nick Saban gets questions he does not like. THeres nothing unique about CPJ there.

underappreciated? Really? The guy got $30 million+ and got extended after a losing season.

CPJ got the right amount of appreciation for his accomplishments at GT esp. after trying to use that extension to get a better deal at UT, which wisely declined.

Frankly, CPJ's scheme and recruiting put us in a hole and I wish CGC the best of luck getting us the öööö out of it.

In fairness, CPJ scheme produced better results than any other coach in the coastal achieved over any span that that coach was here except Feunte (who only has 3 seasons).

CPJ’s scheme cannot overcome the money and effort uga and Clemson have brought to the table. We were going to fall further behind those schools with CPJ at the helm.

CGC has the potential to close the gap with the big boys. If he can recruit, we can rotate coordinators until we find the right fit. The don’t come with program killing buyouts. That is why we can give CGC a 7 year deal. The plan is clearly to follow a Penn State/Clemson model rather than an Oregon model where Chip changed the game (and now that the game has changed, his scheme doesn’t pay dividends like it did).

In fairness, CPJ scheme produced better results than any other coach in the coastal achieved over any span that that coach was here except Feunte (who only has 3 seasons).
For which he was paid quite nicely.

CPJ’s scheme cannot overcome the money and effort uga and Clemson have brought to the table. We were going to fall further behind those schools with CPJ at the helm.

agreed. Problem is, we were falling behind Duke and Pitt too.

CGC has the potential to close the gap with the big boys. If he can recruit, we can rotate coordinators until we find the right fit. The don’t come with program killing buyouts. That is why we can give CGC a 7 year deal. The plan is clearly to follow a Penn State/Clemson model rather than an Oregon model where Chip changed the game (and now that the game has changed, his scheme doesn’t pay dividends like it did).

:fingersx:

Back