CPJ has one year Wanted UT job

Guys we could probably get that we might maybe want:

Monken: Upside, may actually be the best 3O coach in the game as of last year. Downside, people h8 the 3O.

Jeff Tedford (Fresno): Holds like every record at Cal, many many awards, reputed quarterback guy, took Fresno from a 1 win team to a 10 win team in a single year, had a mean defense. Seems to know how to foot a ball. Downside, a ways back, dude lost control of his players academics at Cal and went *gasp* 3-9 before getting fired. Drifted around the very outer edge of football for a bit, so may actually be a hobo, who knows.

Bill Clark (UAB): Guy built and then rebuilt UAB into a program and a winning team. Knows how to produce wins against massive political pressure. He's built up a lot of sentiment over at UAB given what he's been through, but money talks.

Neal Brown (Troy): Went 11-2, works for peanuts, beat LSU. Downside: very little HC experience.

Dave Clawson (Wake): Did a pretty good job when people weren't buying his playbook. His salary is only 1.8 million. Can recruit a bit. Knows how to work a small program. Downside: we really wanna hire a coach from Wake?

Mike Norvell (Memphis): Guy will score all the effin points. Beat UCLA, won double digits, will probably win the UCF National Title next year. Has an okay salary but we could double it comfortably. Downside, lost to UCF twice, so booooo. Also, he'll probably be the hot name for the next school with $Texas and a coach firin' itch, so stiff competition to get him.

Lane Kiffin: Yeah, I think we could get him. Do we want him? Text 1-800-Coach-Idol to vote (message and data rates may apply). Voting closes in one hour.

Lance Leipold (Buffalo): Upside, guy had some all-time impressive results at a lower level. Downside, he's been more or less a dud at UB. That said, who isn't a dud at UB. Highly unproven. Fanbase probably wouldn't be very happy with it unless he started out hot.

Scott Satterfield (App St): Discussed earlier in the thread. Did some awesome things last year. Also did some decidedly not awesome things last year. Fan base would probably not be happy with similar results for long.

Guys with a way outside shot that we might maybe want:

Matt Campbell (Iowa State): Did some things, check the tape. Downside, no idea if the dude can recruit well. He's an ohioan and a G5 guy who played at Pitt, so he's got no ties for us. His salary may already be higher than CPJ's. But Iowa State is a öööö place to coach, so there's that.

Jeff Brohm (Purdue): If he can do it there, he can do it here. They had precisely öööö all anything, and he went bowling with it. He's got a 4.8 million dollar salary, which has got to be higher than CPJ's, but he might want to coach in the south again, and not have to put on such a massive rebuilding job.

Rich Rodriguez (FIRED): This would prove a very controversial hire, but Rich Rod has proven he can throw together a team from time to time and has had good quarterbacks. I think we could possibly land him if he's not too burnt out from the life of drama he's lived on the road. Also there are allegations. Not sure what will come of that, but the fan base might not be happy about it either way.

PJ Fleck (Minnesota): Didn't do all that well in his inaugural P5 season, but coach rowboat did take some green mustangs to 13-1 that one time. He's got a 3.5 million dollar contract and is reputed to be a good recruiter for the gophers. Maybe we could get him with some warmer weather and hope the 13-1 thing is how he proves out.

These are just FBS coaches. I might go through the FCS playoff coaches roster later and see what's on the menu.

I don't really see a clear home-run upgrade from CPJ on that list though, honestly. I think Brohm is probably the best coach we could hope to snag. I doubt he'll be at Purdue very long, though. He'll get hired away for $Texas sooner or later.

On two of these:

Brohm turned down Tennessee. Tennessee is a dumpster fire in many ways, but I'm not sure what Tech offers over Tennessee. We certainly don't have more money to give him. He would be one of the few coaches I would readily replace CPJ with, but I don't think it will happen.

Fleck specifically wanted to stay in the Midwest when his name was last floated around. He's divorced and his kids live in the Midwest with his ex-wife. He made clear he didn't want to leave the region.

RichRod seems like maybe a good coach. Though he was definitely mediocre at Arizona by the standards people have put here. It's also unclear what exactly he was fired for at Arizona.

Most of the rest are successful G5 coaches, which is a fine place to look. But if you want a guy who had a lot of success at G5 level, I've got the perfect coach for you...

Lane Kiffin=full stadium=wins=excitement=better recruiting=amazing

Here is the thing that sticks out to me about PJ: when you coach at a school with more rigorous academics, the last thing you want to be viewed as being is a prick. He really doesn’t endear himself to anyone. And his mantra of telling a kid if he takes other visits after he commits is ridiculous. Kids who are committed to Bama, Ohio St, Ga, FSU, etc. don’t get that put on them....PJ doesn’t have that luxury.

The no-visit thing is a two way street. Many coaches keep recruiting a position after somebody has committed, possibly rescinding the offer. CPJ says he won't do that for a kid's spot, but the kid should also not take visits.

Dabo apparently has the same rule, though this is from 2012. I'm not sure how much Dabo still follows the rule.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...recruiting-georgia-tech-clemson-football-2012

One name. LANE KIFFIN

Are you his agent? His momma?

I will play along because I like idle speculation about things that aren't going to happen:

Pros: -Young and has significant head coaching experience; chip on his shoulder, something to prove.
-Would provide hilarious tweets and press conferences; would likely insult Kirby's hair, Richt's tan, Dabo's general goofiness
-Would bring press attention

Cons: -Mediocre results with great recruiting classes at USC
-No loyalty; left UT high and dry after a year
-Low character, immature guy doesn't seem like a good fit at Tech
-Could end up trolling us just as much as he trolls our opponents; History of burning bridges.
-Easy to negatively recruit against, given his spotty history.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be mad if he got an interview, but his coaching resume doesn't even hold up to CPJ or many of the coaches we could probably get, who would be less of a potential headache. I admit that the temptation is there for me simply because of the trolling and the lolz.

Last edited:
Lane Kiffin=full stadium=wins=excitement=better recruiting=amazing
No. First of all LK will never be hired at Tech. If by some chance he is, he’ll be fired leaving GT saddled with NCAA sanctions, or jump to the next big name school that comes looking.

There’s many others that would be a better choice, not to mention actually a possibility that might be hired.

RichRod seems like maybe a good coach. Though he was definitely mediocre at Arizona by the standards people have put here. It's also unclear what exactly he was fired for at Arizona.
Rich Rodriguez made a lot more sense a decade ago than he does now. He really had WVU rolling when he decided to leave (and back when WVU played a Big East schedule not a Big 12 schedule).

Then he totally sucked at one of the largest, richest, most storied programs in the country (Michigan was 6-18 in the Big 10 under him).

Then he was highly mediocre at Arizona (8-5, 8-5, 10-4, 7-6, 3-9, 7-6), with a single major bowl appearance (losing the Fiesta in 2014).

If inconsistency is what we don't like about CPJ... why is Rich Rod obviously a better choice? His resume is actually much worse than CPJ's over the long haul, and he doesn't have the long history with Ga football. And from what I've seen, he's not obviously better with the media than CPJ. (Everybody's bad with the media when they're losing and great when they're winning. Except Saban.)

Are you his agent? His momma?

I will play along because I like idle speculation about things that aren't going to happen:

Pros: -Young and has significant head coaching experience; chip on his shoulder, something to prove.
-Would provide hilarious tweets and press conferences; would likely insult Kirby's hair, Richt's tan, Dabo's general goofiness
-Would bring press attention

Cons: -Mediocre results with great recruiting classes at USC
-No loyalty; left UT high and dry after a year
-Low character, immature guy doesn't seem like a good fit at Tech
-Could end up trolling us just as much as he trolls our opponents; History of burning bridges.
-Easy to negatively recruit against, given his spotty history.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be mad if he got an interview, but his coaching resume doesn't even hold up to CPJ or many of the coaches we could probably get, who would be less of a potential headache. I admit that the temptation is there for me simply because of the trolling and the lolz.
His dad. No but seriously that's just who I think we should hire

The no-visit thing is a two way street. Many coaches keep recruiting a position after somebody has committed, possibly rescinding the offer. CPJ says he won't do that for a kid's spot, but the kid should also not take visits.

Dabo apparently has the same rule, though this is from 2012. I'm not sure how much Dabo still follows the rule.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...recruiting-georgia-tech-clemson-football-2012
I PROMISE you, if a Rivals 100 kid who is committed to Clemson tells them he is going to take a visit somewhere else, there is no way they yank his offer

I PROMISE you, if a Rivals 100 kid who is committed to Clemson tells them he is going to take a visit somewhere else, there is no way they yank his offer
Johnson doesn't yank the offer either. His position is "if you're looking, then we're looking." That means Tech won't keep the spot locked up for the player if the player is looking elsewhere. It doesn't mean the offer is permanently rescinded. If the player commits, then takes a visit to another school, but then decides he wants to be at Tech, then he gets the spot back, so long as Tech hasn't had another player commit to it in the meantime.

We've had players look around and then come back. It's usually done quietly and we don't know about it.

Rich Rodriguez made a lot more sense a decade ago than he does now. He really had WVU rolling when he decided to leave (and back when WVU played a Big East schedule not a Big 12 schedule).

Then he totally sucked at one of the largest, richest, most storied programs in the country (Michigan was 6-18 in the Big 10 under him).

Then he was highly mediocre at Arizona (8-5, 8-5, 10-4, 7-6, 3-9, 7-6), with a single major bowl appearance (losing the Fiesta in 2014).

If inconsistency is what we don't like about CPJ... why is Rich Rod obviously a better choice? His resume is actually much worse than CPJ's over the long haul, and he doesn't have the long history with Ga football. And from what I've seen, he's not obviously better with the media than CPJ. (Everybody's bad with the media when they're losing and great when they're winning. Except Saban.)

Oh, he definitely isn't better than CPJ. Coaches with P5 experience, which GT could theoretically get, didn't really set the world on fire at P5 (i.e. Kiffin, RichRod).

Dodd's glory years were the early-to-mid '50s. I was at Tech for the '58 - 61 seasons. There was plenty of grumbling about Dodd then. Dodd's offense was incredibly predictable, and our record was mediocre:
1958 5-4-1 (UGA L) [SEC Champ Auburn]
1959 6-5 (UGA L, Bowl L) [SEC LSU]
1960 5-5 (UGA L) [SEC UGA]
1961 7-4 (UGA W, Bowl L) [SEC Ole Miss]
We were coasting, and Bear was beginning to build a powerhouse. Bobby Dodd was a fine man and a good coach, but his last decade at Tech was not great, with the exception of his last year, 1966. As AD, his decision to leave the SEC was questionable.

Back