CPJ has one year Wanted UT job

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
This is what I would do. Find the best coach in America, under 50. Offer him $12 million a year for 10 years no matter how we had to raise the money. That would put even the best coaches in play. Then bet that coach would be so successful that he would turn everything around, sell out BDS, & eventually earn more for the program than he cost. That's what Alabama did when it hired Saban. I think this would send a jolt through the program and get us on top again. I don't think anything else will work. So, we offer so much money that we can get any coach we want, we get a contract keeping him here a long time, we return to glory, & we make our money back through all the benefits that come with winning big time.

cbee

Flats Noob
This is what I would do. Find the best coach in America, under 50. Offer him $12 million a year for 10 years no matter how we had to raise the money. That would put even the best coaches in play. Then bet that coach would be so successful that he would turn everything around, sell out BDS, & eventually earn more for the program than he cost. That's what Alabama did when it hired Saban. I think this would send a jolt through the program and get us on top again. I don't think anything else will work. So, we offer so much money that we can get any coach we want, we get a contract keeping him here a long time, we return to glory, & we make our money back through all the benefits that come with winning big time.
Delusional

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Does Paul Hewitt coach football?

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
If we had the extra 12 million a year, which is a pretty tall order to say the least, we would be better served to spend it on recruiting staff, facilities, etc. Comparing us to Bama and Saban is silly. They literally had everything else in place already.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
If Stansbury isn't consistently updating his plan to replace CPJ he is a failure as an AD. And I think CPJ has done an excellent job overall.
I had an AD once tell me you always keep a list of names in your pocket, just in case.
And I'll take PJ at his word that the Tennessee overture was done by his agent and not at his own behest through his agent. PJ likes being at Tech. He likes living where he is. I say all this because I've known him for 20 years and used to spend a great deal of time just talking with him. Hadn't had the chance to do that much in the last few years but when I needed him to help push something forward for me, he was right on it.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Or we spend 120 million on a guy who wins 7 games a year and then become a literal crater.

MEwreck02

Russian Hacker/Biologist
I had an AD once tell me you always keep a list of names in your pocket, just in case.
And I'll take PJ at his word that the Tennessee overture was done by his agent and not at his own behest through his agent. PJ likes being at Tech. He likes living where he is. I say all this because I've known him for 20 years and used to spend a great deal of time just talking with him. Hadn't had the chance to do that much in the last few years but when I needed him to help push something forward for me, he was right on it.
CSB

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.
You’re missing huge pieces of what makes a program successful on the level of Alabama and Clemson and for that kind of $$ it had better be on that level.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Dodd's glory years were the early-to-mid '50s. I was at Tech for the '58 - 61 seasons. There was plenty of grumbling about Dodd then. Dodd's offense was incredibly predictable, and our record was mediocre:
1958 5-4-1 (UGA L) [SEC Champ Auburn]
1959 6-5 (UGA L, Bowl L) [SEC LSU]
1960 5-5 (UGA L) [SEC UGA]
1961 7-4 (UGA W, Bowl L) [SEC Ole Miss]
We were coasting, and Bear was beginning to build a powerhouse. Bobby Dodd was a fine man and a good coach, but his last decade at Tech was not great, with the exception of his last year, 1966. As AD, his decision to leave the SEC was questionable.
Exactly accurate, and his 1966 season of 9-2 fizzled at the end losing to Georgia and then Florida in the Orange Bowl. But it was his best record in years, and it allowed him to cement his legacy and retire. Dodd was a man of immense talent, but also immense ego. I dare say that if his last season loomed to be 5-5 he would have continued on. But 9-2 let him bow out "on top", so to speak. BTW, mentioning Dodd and CPJ in the same breath is sacrilege.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
On two of these:

Brohm turned down Tennessee. Tennessee is a dumpster fire in many ways, but I'm not sure what Tech offers over Tennessee. We certainly don't have more money to give him. He would be one of the few coaches I would readily replace CPJ with, but I don't think it will happen.

Fleck specifically wanted to stay in the Midwest when his name was last floated around. He's divorced and his kids live in the Midwest with his ex-wife. He made clear he didn't want to leave the region.

RichRod seems like maybe a good coach. Though he was definitely mediocre at Arizona by the standards people have put here. It's also unclear what exactly he was fired for at Arizona.

Most of the rest are successful G5 coaches, which is a fine place to look. But if you want a guy who had a lot of success at G5 level, I've got the perfect coach for you...
I think RichRod got the boot because his most recent two seasons were Johnsonesque. But wasn't he also banging one of the staff who was threatening a lawsuit?

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
If Stansbury isn't consistently updating his plan to replace CPJ he is a failure as an AD. And I think CPJ has done an excellent job overall.
Yeah, you would think that even Braine and Bobinski had a short list in their pocket at all times. Coaches get hired or sued with no notice.

donsue

Flats Noob
Exactly accurate, and his 1966 season of 9-2 fizzled at the end losing to Georgia and then Florida in the Orange Bowl. But it was his best record in years, and it allowed him to cement his legacy and retire. Dodd was a man of immense talent, but also immense ego. I dare say that if his last season loomed to be 5-5 he would have continued on. But 9-2 let him bow out "on top", so to speak. BTW, mentioning Dodd and CPJ in the same breath is sacrilege.
I always believed his 1962 team could have been one of his very best. He lost by 3 points to Auburn and LSU, otherwise would have had an undefeated regulat season. He beat one of Bear’s very best teams, and destroyed UGA in Athens. I will repeat a quote from Bill Cromartie in CLEAN OLD FASHIONED HATE: “Perhaps because of the man himself, Dodd’s teams never acquired the rugged, hard nosed reputation of a Woody Hayes, a Wally Butts or a Bear Bryant coached squad. Dodd’s cool, rocking chair style just didn’t fit the rock ‘em, sock ‘em mold of football.

But a closer look at his record reveals how tough his teams actually were. Dodd’s 237 opponents were able to average a mere 9.1 points per game. Just as amazing is the fact that, of his 64 losses, 33 were by 7 points or less. Furthermore, his teams lost just 12 games by two touchdowns or more. It was a rare feat indeed to soundly whip a Dodd team, and only on six occasions did he lose a game by 20 points or more.”

People can grouse about his decision making, and talk about his ego all they want. But in my mind, no one understood and loved Tech more than he did. Sure, Tech football suffered from the mid 60s forward. People can debate whether leaving the SEC was smart or not. But if people will be realistic, they would see how the downfall may have been worse had they stayed.

The unwillingness by the administration and the BOR to make academic concessions would have made Tech on a par with Vandy.

Put all this together with how his players loved and respected him, and how many became major players in the growth of Atlanta, and his legacy speaks for itself

And yes, it is sacrilege to compare a sour ass who got whipped by Kansas, Duke, and got run out of his own stadium by Middle Tenn St. to Ccach Dodd

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like
And yes, it is sacrilege to compare a sour ass who got whipped by Kansas, Duke, and got run out of his own stadium by Middle Tenn St. to Ccach Dodd
So two egotistical coaches that don't fit the factory mold who have been responsible for some of the highest achievements in the program's history cant be compared?

jacket67

Dodd-Like
I don't think you can fairly compare college football coaches who competed 50 years apart. The game is different, the athletes are different, and the economics are different. I wouldn't try to guess what kind of success CPJ would have had in the 50s or Coach Dodd in the 2010s. It's a particularly silly exercise to compare outcomes in a few individual games.

donsue

Flats Noob
So two egotistical coaches that don't fit the factory mold who have been responsible for some of the highest achievements in the program's history cant be compared?
Go ahead and compare them all you want. I never said that. In my mind, a coach who competed against some of the best powers in the country at the time that won multiple Orange Bowls, Sugar Bowls, and other big time bowls, and beat his archrival 8 times in a row has a much better resume, by far. And I don’t recall any 3-9 years either.

floridajacket

The Real DB Cooper
The anti-CPJ posts basically devolve to ridiculous scenarios, showing the practical issues with these demands for success.

Alabama went from $1.5 million to Shula to $4 million for Saban, much less of a jump than $3 million to CPJ to $12 million for this mysterious, absolutely surefire coach. First, it's absolutely ludicrous to just say "do whatever it takes" to raise this $100 or so million. It's like you're on a corporate board and you're demanding the CEO get 5x revenue and profit overnight. Just "do whatever it takes."

But putting that aside, there have been a few schools which have followed that Saban blueprint:

- Texas A&M with Jimbo Fisher, which I really don't think will end well.
- Ohio State and Urban Meyer.
- Michigan and Jim Harbaugh

Harbaugh and Meyer did get a lot of success, and Meyer won a national championship. Harbaugh would be closest to your mythical, surefire coach, and Michigan did somewhat mediocre themselves last year. He has also not beaten Ohio State.