CPJ Hire Reaction

I thought Johnson was our best option to win, so I was pumped. Who was the other candidate? Neuheisel?

The CPJ hire had mixed reactions. Some thought his offense was a gimmick, some thought it was the only way to win, boosters weren’t big fans. Everyone was ready to move on from Gailey. What really helped Johnson was coming in and winning big ways in his first season.

Johnson was pretty well received. He did not come out of nowhere as a candidate and had been very successful everywhere he had coached. Some did like the triple option (shocker?).

My reaction is he is not close to one of my Top 5 choices, so i am sure the football illiterates of Stingtalk are in love. Second to Monken amirite?

I will recall the conversation I had with PJ the day Notre Dame hired GOL
PJ had just taken the job at Navy
I said, if you had waited one more day, maybe you could have had the Tech job
PJ: They can come get me from Navy just as easily as they can get me from Georgia Southern

Here are my comments on the GT / PJ coaching search from that time for historical reference.....

A lot of us (me included) thought Chris Hatcher was the best option at the time, and we would have been very, very wrong (I did look him up today and saw he went 10-1 at Samford this year, so that's good I guess?).

I do recall most getting on board with CPJ pretty quickly after the hire was made. He was nowhere near as polarizing a candidate as Muschamp or Neuheisel were.

It was mostly positive. We were tired of Channing (7 wins and a trip to a pity bowl game) and ready for something fresh and new. Paul Johnson brough a unique offensive scheme that was successful at GA Southern and Navy, so stingtalk was hopeful. We only expected a 5-6 win season, but we got some of the most exciting football I've ever seen at Tech along with a personality that provided for lots of laughs. ... I miss those days.

Here, you can read the actual posts.. this is when the leaks started.

“Muschamp has been offered, according to BBuzzoff”
We are paying for the incredible luck of that search. Muschamp, Chris Hatcher, Charlie Strong, Rick neuhisal… we dodged a huge bullet.
Took one directly in the heart on the next one though.

I liked the hire but I was concerned about the negative recruiting ammo this gave other teams. Basically that we are turning into a service academy and that you wont get to the NFL in that system. I liked CPJ though and still do. I do think the TO offense ran its course here and ultimately the critics were proven right about the long term program degradation.

I recall Hatcher's name popping up. He's done a good job at Samford.
His first year at Southern, he had to mend a broken program after BVG absolutely wrecked everything and left (you want animosity? Try PJ's take on BVG).
He took a player BVG declared was not good enough and made him the I-AA player of the year by devising an offense around him. Hatcher went back to the option, an offense he admitted he knew nothing about it, to put the ball in Jayson Foster's hands on every snap. And it worked. BVG didn't know what to do with Foster. Hatcher did.
I talked with Hatcher a few times. Great guy. His downfall was taking too many risks on kids of great potential but marginal character and then getting caught with no depth when those guys essentially had to be shown the door. So at the end he was running bubble screens with a QB with no downfield arm, an OL that couldn't hold blocks and freshmen WRs trying to hold blocks against upperclassmen DBs. It got ugly.

Back