CPJ Hire Reaction

I liked the hire but I was concerned about the negative recruiting ammo this gave other teams. Basically that we are turning into a service academy and that you wont get to the NFL in that system. I liked CPJ though and still do. I do think the TO offense ran its course here and ultimately the critics were proven right about the long term program degradation.

I think the treatment of it by fans and the admin manifested their prediction: The school funded a bottom of the acc recruiting budget, but the issue is "you can't recruit for this system." Funnily enough. He still managed to put several wr into the NFL (Iirc Thomas, cone, hill, smelter, waller)

I think the treatment of it by fans and the admin manifested their prediction: The school funded a bottom of the acc recruiting budget, but the issue is "you can't recruit for this system." Funnily enough. He still managed to put several wr into the NFL (Iirc Thomas, cone, hill, smelter, waller)
to be fair, he didn't recruit Thomas and can't recall if he recruited Cone. But the system didn't keep BayBay or Cone out of the league. In fact, the pros loved how Tech WRs came in knowing how to block. would love to have seen what Jeff Greene could have done in that offense had he stuck around.

to be fair, he didn't recruit Thomas and can't recall if he recruited Cone. But the system didn't keep BayBay or Cone out of the league. In fact, the pros loved how Tech WRs came in knowing how to block. would love to have seen what Jeff Greene could have done in that offense had he stuck around.

3 of those he didn't recruit. But the point is that despite the system the NFL still pulled a lot of guys from us.

On the other hand, he recruited Malachi and I think he goes to the NFL

I loved it. He became the coach I wanted here when Navy snapped the losing streak against Notre Dame. I was hoping that he would be the one that we went with and was so glad when he decided to come here. He is still my favorite coach I have seen coach here.

“Paul Johnson is a great hire.”

That’s all I found what I had said on here. I was ecstatic with the hire. Actually thought his ceiling was even higher than what CPJ accomplished here.

I flat out loved the hire and celebrated all night! Finally, an offense that we could compete with since we could not recruit with the top teams we face yearly. My only real question was what could Gailey do if he could keep getting recruiting wins. His last class was top 20 in the nation and unheard of for GT in my lifetime. Johnson did a tremendous job for GT and proved to be an excellent hire even if some Tech fans grew tired of the TO. Loved his recent comments pointing out the similarity between his recruiting classes and those of Collins (can we still say his name or has he become another B... .....?

I flat out loved the hire and celebrated all night! Finally, an offense that we could compete with since we could not recruit with the top teams we face yearly. My only real question was what could Gailey do if he could keep getting recruiting wins. His last class was top 20 in the nation and unheard of for GT in my lifetime. Johnson did a tremendous job for GT and proved to be an excellent hire even if some Tech fans grew tired of the TO. Loved his recent comments pointing out the similarity between his recruiting classes and those of Collins (can we still say his name or has he become another B... .....?
I was also thrilled we hired him but I think he would've have a VERY hard time coming in if the portal rules existed back then.

I was only a lurker here at the time. No way I was gonna START posting during the Chan wars...

You should take pride in your service

1669676262507.jpeg

Was very happy when he was hired. Was hoping we could get him right after OLeary left but Navy was quicker on the draw.

Funny story, I was in a reception for Bud Peterson and cabinet. DRad and CPJ joined during the process. My boss at the time quipped, "we are surrounded by some of the greatest academic minds in the country and the highest paid guy in the room is wearing a track suit."

I was only a lurker here at the time. No way I was gonna START posting during the Chan wars...
It is interesting to think about what sort of place StingTalk would be if either the haters or the FOCers had turned out to be right. Would it still be around if Chan had actually been the second coming of L****, or the precoming of Gef? If we had won that national title Gailey asked Braine about, would there be anyone left to post here once there was nothing to be miserable about?

“Paul Johnson is a great hire.”

That’s all I found what I had said on here. I was ecstatic with the hire. Actually thought his ceiling was even higher than what CPJ accomplished here.
I do not remember what I said about it here, but I felt very excited and optimistic. I'd just spent six years listening to people warn about the imminent and eternal collapse of Georgia Tech football at the hands of Gailey, only for us to keep turning out mediocre-to-good seasons with plenty of memorable wins and moments and etc., so when a new set of people started screaming that Johnson's offense would land us in Division II, I did not pay much mind. I liked his answers during the early going and I felt like he was a confident, proven winner. By the time he was viciously beating Embry Peeples on the field during his first game, I was in love.

To be fair, I don't think I really ever believed Tech would hire someone we would compare to L****. I arrived right as GOL's Tech was hitting its stride, so his predecessor's tenure was some mythical horror story to me. I probably assumed that, at the absolute worst, Johnson would be on par with Gailey.

I also do not believe that Paul Johnson somehow did the program harm. I won't bother repeating his accomplishments because they are listed somewhere in most threads on this board, but overall Johnson's tenure was a great one. In its immediate aftermath, it was a shame and a terrible mistake to treat that era as anything less than. Tech and its fans seem to struggle mightily with discerning between success and failure, and it is no wonder there has been a decades-long identity crisis here with precious few signs of stopping.

Back