CPJ Mad Bro

CPJ just retweeted this

We really did some ridiculous things on offense while he was here - especially when you’re normalizing it per possession. Didn’t always get the national attention because of all the other offenses out there running 30% more plays and thus putting up more stats despite being less effective.

Also worth noting that the defensive chart for this over his tenure is probably completely flipped. Where he had some horrendous defenses look passable due to the same thing.

CPJ just retweeted this

I want to love it, and I really enjoyed CPJ’s time here, but it’s probably a little padded by feasting on I-AA teams and coaches unfamiliar with the offense, an advantage that seemed to wane over time.

Also, unfortunately, a good team needs both offense and defense, and we seldom had a good D under CPJ.

JRjr

I want to love it, and I really enjoyed CPJ’s time here, but it’s probably a little padded by feasting on I-AA teams and coaches unfamiliar with the offense, an advantage that seemed to wane over time.

Also, unfortunately, a good team needs both offense and defense, and we seldom had a good D under CPJ.

JRjr

Every team in the ACC feasted on cupcakes. And I bet our states vs the coastal look similar to the rest of D-1.

CPJ never fielded a good defense. There is no getting around that.

Every team in the ACC feasted on cupcakes. And I bet our states vs the coastal look similar to the rest of D-1.

Maybe, but I don’t remember Wake or BC rolling cupcakes by 60 points. Things could get out of hand when CPJ’s offense went up against a team that was unprepared and outmanned. Maybe our offensive stats benefitted disproportionately from running it up on cupcakes.

JRjr

Maybe, but I don’t remember Wake or BC rolling cupcakes by 60 points. Things could get out of hand when CPJ’s offense went up against a team that was unprepared and outmanned. Maybe our offensive stats benefitted disproportionately from running it up on cupcakes.

JRjr

BC maybe not, but Wake would roll cupcakes. But that is only their most recent coach.

Where that stat is really telling is the number of coaches a team had over that span. Teams that are scoring alot tend to keep their coaches.

But it isn’t really even the blowouts for a stat like this. I would like to see that stat per QB. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tevin near the top. Death marches ending in TDs can blow that stat up, even if JT5 could squeeze in 2 extra TDs a game.

Do the research. Let us know how your wild ass guess works out.

Those numbers are opponent adjusted so theoretically the cupcakes should be factored out. Football outsiders numbers are also usually based on FBS vs FBS games with garbage possessions filtered out. I’m not sure if that’s what these stats are based on but it’s very likely.

Did any other ACC team have the luxury of playing two FCS teams in two separate seasons?

to me it is orange bowls.... I never thought I would live to see GT in an orange bowl. I really hope GC can turn things around. Beating ugag is VERY important and this board will turn ugly fast if that does not happen.

I remember how negative it was towards O'leary when Fridge left (in fact that is why we have a "stingtalk"...the hive was shut down briefly. Ross, O'leary, and CG felt that GT was at a significant disadvantage, however PJ's offense leveled that playing field.

We live in a results oriented world so will we find out pretty fast next year where we stack up.

Those who like to whine and moan about CPJ's stubbornness about his offense conveniently forget about Vad and diamond formation experiment. I think we actually got to the Music City Bowl with it (probably in spite of it); but it wasn't going to work long term.

He never gave it a chance.

Back