CPJ Mad Bro

And yet with this no Football Talent we cannot beat the Citadel. Not sure what your argument is but we just disagree.
It was year zero. Yeah the Citadel was a bad loss, but you still are being blind to the fact that we were transitioning the entire offensive philosophy, all while having a roster that 3/4, if not more, of was recruited to play a completely different style. That game was the perfect storm for us in the middle of learning a new scheme and trying to fit pieces together. You have to play extremely sound and disciplined against the option, and you must execute on offense because of your limited possessions. We were still trying to figure out who could and couldn't cut it in a more modern style offense at that point. You can't just go out and backyard ball to beat a team like that, and you damn sure can't just go out-talent them when yours is lacking. Here is the thing: the option is an equalizer with lesser talent, but it also creates lesser talent because it is 100% fact that many top recruits do not want to play in it, nor practice against it on defense. So when CPJ arrived we had the best of both worlds, talented roster and equalizing offensive scheme that can burn you if you don't play disciplined or execute a great game plan against it. Once the talent started dropping, all we had left was scheme and I don't know what you were seeing, but it was becoming obvious teams like UNC, Duke, UVA, were surpassing us and that 7-8 wins was going to be the ceiling. When we finally made a change, it's like ripping a band-aid off. It's gonna suck for a little while but will be better in the long run. We are just now getting the roster closer to where it should be, but it should be even much better than it is now in a couple years. Without the option as an equalizer, you've seen the display of what an under-manned roster looks like in a more conventional offense. The next couple seasons are when you should see improvements, and if by then we don't, that is the time to start looking at another change, whether it be coordinator, HC, etc.

You realize if we had lost Miami would have been 8-5, Virginia 9-4, and VT 7-6. That still would have made us a 4 win team.
That has to be the most asinine point I've ever seen. So you're arguing then that our losses would be better, and that those 4 wins would still be better than having 3 last year? Even when 2 were against Alcorn State and Bowling Green?

Dwyer, Johnson, Thomas, Walker....

People think I'm batty when I say we were going to beat UGAg in 2008 anyway, even if we had kept Gailey. I'd say 2009 too.

Flunk gate did not help Gailey one bit.
Chan was never going to beat UGay.

And we won 7 games....what a great coach! No Football Talent (your term) and still won 7 games. The current staff took that same, no Football Talent and hasn't won 7 games in two years.
He was a great coach adjusted for talent. And until the last few years he was an all round great coach. CPJ will be selected to the CFB half of fame one day and will deserve it. But it won’t be for his final few seasons at Tech.

The problem is that your final rankings, bowl opportunities and W-L record does not adjust for talent. And as head coach CPJ was fully responsible for receuiting talent.

At some point, the combination of rule changes, and the complete drop off in talent post 2015 or so led to too much of a gap for even CPJ’s coaching brilliance to make up for.

People who keep arguing that CPJ inherited a stacked roster conveniently forget the huge gaps we had in 2009. We had a decent DL; but every position group behind it was suspect. Sure, we had MB back there; but he was just one guy. There is an obvious reason why UGA ran the ball down our throat, and it was because the front 7 wasn't talented enough to stop it. Richt saw it and exploited it, nothing fancy, just run the ball down our throat. It wasn't the X's and O's, it was the Jimmy's and Joe's.

We had a similar problem with lack of bodies/talent on OL. There was a lot of optimizing the players you have rather than whining about the players you want in 2008 & 2009.
Yet those were still some of CPJ’s best defenses.
Tech’s defenses only got worse in subsequent years, except 1 year where they couldn’t stop anybody but found the ability to force a lot of turnovers.

You aren't asking me, but JJacket has been on here claiming we would have won both 2008 and 2009 with Gailey.

Strangely, I suspect with Gailey we would have lost in 2008, but won in 2009. Of course, he wouldn’t have made it to 2009 if we had lost in 2008.
I think GT benefited greatly in 2008 from UGAg simply not knowing anything about our offense and how to handle it. They still saw it as an old school running offense, as opposed to the run based spread offense it was.

Ken Swilling
Thomas Balkom
Jason Bostic
Nathan Burton
Travares Tillman
Marvious Hester
Jeremy Muyres
Chris Young
Dawan Landry
Chris Reis
James Butler

And I only started from my Tech fandom.

Morgan Burnett - 770 NFL tackles. Started 112 regular NFL games and 11 postseason games
Swilling - Played the NFL for 1 season
Balkcom - Didn’t play in the NFL from what I can tell
Bostic - He was part of a few NFL teams but not a big enough part for NFL.com to have any stats on him
Burton - Didnt play in the NFL

Im not gonna continue. Burnett is way better than the first 4 players you’ve mentioned. No point in spending time on the rest.

Morgan Burnett - 770 NFL tackles. Started 112 regular NFL games and 11 postseason games
Bostic - He was part of a few NFL teams but not a big enough part for NFL.com to have any stats on him

Im not gonna continue. Burnett is way better than the first 4 players you’ve mentioned. No point in spending time on the rest.
And or.

Read it again.

What does Morgan Burnett's NFL career have to do with who was the better Tech player?

Do you really think Dorsey Levens was a better Tech player than Robert Lavette because he made the Pro Bowl?

Correct. We had no football talent when we lost to Citadel. No QB. Terrible OL.

2008 talent with Collins coaching crushes Citadel
And again, my point is CPJ won 7 games with this No Football Talent.

Strangely, I suspect with Gailey we would have lost in 2008, but won in 2009. Of course, he wouldn’t have made it to 2009 if we had lost in 2008.
I think GT benefited greatly in 2008 from UGAg simply not knowing anything about our offense and how to handle it. They still saw it as an old school running offense, as opposed to the run based spread offense it was.

Gailey would have lost in 2008 and 2009. You can't beat UGA trying to be UGA with lesser talent, and despite the gold colored glasses that people see the 2008-2009 roster with, UGA had better talent top to bottom than we did. CCG was actually a pretty good coach looking back; but if he proved nothing else it was that if you aren't going to out scheme your opponents, then you need to out recruit your opponents. We'll see this year how CGC's recruiting really is, if we still have a losing season TStan needs to push him to make some staff changes.

You should consider going away for a few years.
Thanks for the friendly advice but I probably don't have but a few years left. Besides, the GTAA needs people like me. Or I assume they do because they are hounding me regularly about renewing tickets, adding basketball tickets, contributing to the fund, etc.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the friendly advice but I probably don't have but a few years left. Besides, the GTAA needs people like me. Or I assume they do because they are hounding my regularly about renewing tickets, adding basketball tickets, contributing to the fund, etc.....
Then may I suggest you enjoy the time you have left, and all the varied positive experiences that come with being a GT fan, and stop complaining and finding fault with everything, and dwelling on the negative.

Back