Dave Wannstedt must smoke crack

Threet would've won us an ACC title.
Threet should have left Michigan the second Carr retired and was replaced by Rodriguez. He got the öööö beat out of him as a pocket passer trying to run the Pat White offense WV ran. He got shoulder injuries and concussions as a result of it. The QB position was his to lose at GT as a traditional pocket passer.

Threet should have left Michigan the second Carr retired and was replaced by Rodriguez. He got the öööö beat out of him as a pocket passer trying to run the Pat White offense WV ran. He got shoulder injuries and concussions as a result of it. The QB position was his to lose at GT as a traditional pocket passer.
Threet left here cuz the writing was on the wall and he did not see a future for himself in an option scheme. Ironic that he walked into something almost as bad with the Mich coaching change.

Last edited:
There is no reason for any of you to post negative stuff about a former GT coach who coached with class and grace and never had a losing season here. It was a long time ago. Let it go. The 7 win meme is a myth, and his floor of 7 wins was despite severe conditions brought on by bad injury luck and dysfunctional althletic administration.

He never got the benefit of that monster 2007 class. With Collins he shook off the bad strategic recruiting policy imposed by the AD, and we had another good class shaping up for 2008. With the dogmeat Gailey was able to go bowling with, it was exciting to think what he could with near equal talent.

But the short-sighted got their way. Collins was allowed to leave. The writing was on the wall. Gailey was let go, and we went with a gimmick offense because our admin and many fans had insecurities about our ability to recruit as an institution.

So now we are digging ourselves out of a deep talent hole. We are doing it.

The NFL recognizes the talent we threw away. You haters should let it go.

Chan's offense was risk adverse. He played for the sure thing, a field goal. He tried to sit on leads of 3 points routinely.

Chan's offense was risk adverse. He played for the sure thing, a field goal. He tried to sit on leads of 3 points routinely.

Yeah? So did Bobby Dodd. You play to your team strengths and he routinely put the best dual athletes on defense. And you overstate your case.

The one positive that stood out to me about Chan was that he was a good evaluator of talent. He found 2-3 star guys and we got 3-4 star players.

I spoke to Chan at one of those alumni coaching tours up here in DC way back when. It was crystal clear that he viewed our season like an NFL coach whose fate depended on winning the division and keeping the owner happy. He never "got it" that in college, you have to win your state and keep the fans happy.

I was no fan of Chan, but no other coach at Tech faced as good of uga teams as Chan. He faced 6 top 10 uga teams and the other was 23.

CPJ played four unranked uga teams.

I did not hate Chan like some on here do; but that pro-style offense was the most boring offense I ever remember on the flats. It made me cringe when people wanted to go pro-style after CPJ retired. Chan had trouble recruiting to that boring offense, as much we celebrate the 2007 class; go back and look at the 2005 and 2006 classes. Two 51-7 beat downs and 0-6 against UGA meant it was time for him to go. You haven't seen his name pop-up for college head coaching vacancies for a reason, even when Chan was unemployed.

That said, he isn't that bad as a pro OC. You probably won't get a championship offense; but you if want stable and consistent on offense as a HC he should work out ok.

Threet left here cuz the writing was on the wall and he did not see a future for himself in an option scheme. Ironic that he walked into something almost as bad with the Mich coaching change.
Not the reason Threet gave. He said it is because the coach who recruited him left. Was that BOB? Plus, his parents were Michigan season ticket holders, so he probably wanted to be there all along.

Anyway, look at how far Reggie throws the ball here against Miami. Such a beautiful play

I did not hate Chan like some on here do; but that pro-style offense was the most boring offense I ever remember on the flats. It made me cringe when people wanted to go pro-style after CPJ retired. Chan had trouble recruiting to that boring offense, as much we celebrate the 2007 class; go back and look at the 2005 and 2006 classes. Two 51-7 beat downs and 0-6 against UGA meant it was time for him to go. You haven't seen his name pop-up for college head coaching vacancies for a reason, even when Chan was unemployed.

That said, he isn't that bad as a pro OC. You probably won't get a championship offense; but you if want stable and consistent on offense as a HC he should work out ok.
Chan didn't lose to MTSU. Every coach at Tech has had blowout moments even under CPJ

True, I hope the current coach got them all out of his system last season.
We are still seriously undermanned. CPJ did have the advantage of being able to milk almost two and a half minutes off the clock without getting a first down, which limited getting devestatingly blown out

This is gonna be one of those things that keeps coming up when I'm like 100 years old. People who want to seem like authentic old time GT fans are gonna be like "hey old timer, whatcha think about Chan?"

At least I can blame the shouting of obscenities at them on dementia when I'm super old.

There is no reason for any of you to post negative stuff about a former GT coach who coached with class and grace and never had a losing season here. It was a long time ago. Let it go. The 7 win meme is a myth, and his floor of 7 wins was despite severe conditions brought on by bad injury luck and dysfunctional althletic administration.

He never got the benefit of that monster 2007 class. With Collins he shook off the bad strategic recruiting policy imposed by the AD, and we had another good class shaping up for 2008. With the dogmeat Gailey was able to go bowling with, it was exciting to think what he could with near equal talent.

But the short-sighted got their way. Collins was allowed to leave. The writing was on the wall. Gailey was let go, and we went with a gimmick offense because our admin and many fans had insecurities about our ability to recruit as an institution.

So now we are digging ourselves out of a deep talent hole. We are doing it.

The NFL recognizes the talent we threw away. You haters should let it go.
I don't "hate" CCG but why is it off limits to discuss my issues with him or any other coach here? Ok, so he had class and all and had to deal with a bad hand of cards. What coach at GT hasn't had a dumpster fire to start with? Curry? No, he had a mess. Ross? No, he had a mess. O'Leary? No, he had a mess. CPJ - ok - he had the best situation of a new coach here probably since Dodd started. Fine. But why does CCG get diplomatic immunity? Curry kicked butt by 1983. Ross - you know what he did. O'Leary? no explanation needed (hint: 3IAR). If you consider him immune from criticism that's your policy, not mine. I never agreed to it. And its a bit much to characterize those of us who had reasonable concerns about CCG as "Haters." CCG told me directly that winning the ACC was far more important than beating UGa. I didn't ask the obvious follow up - "are they mutually exclusive trade-offs?" I just didn't appreciate the coach telling me what my priorities should be.

Chan is very well respected throughout professional football coaching circles; it’s baffling to me that some of our fans make him out to be some sort of idiot while immortalizing Paul Johnson as a godlike football mind. Both had pros and cons, and Their win overall percentages were essentially the same.
NFL loves their mediocre retreads. Think of it as a good-ol-boy network where fired coaches get second, third, fourth, etc chances. Look at Jeff "7-9" Fisher or Adam "I-ruin-every-team-I-touch" Gase as examples. To be perfectly fair, Gailey is a much better NFL coach than college coach. His concepts just dont seem to translate to the college game. Perhaps his offense required too much from the QB, who he never had here?

I don't "hate" CCG but why is it off limits to discuss my issues with him or any other coach here? Ok, so he had class and all and had to deal with a bad hand of cards. What coach at GT hasn't had a dumpster fire to start with? Curry? No, he had a mess. Ross? No, he had a mess. O'Leary? No, he had a mess. CPJ - ok - he had the best situation of a new coach here probably since Dodd started. Fine. But why does CCG get diplomatic immunity? Curry kicked butt by 1983. Ross - you know what he did. O'Leary? no explanation needed (hint: 3IAR). If you consider him immune from criticism that's your policy, not mine. I never agreed to it. And its a bit much to characterize those of us who had reasonable concerns about CCG as "Haters." CCG told me directly that winning the ACC was far more important than beating UGa. I didn't ask the obvious follow up - "are they mutually exclusive trade-offs?" I just didn't appreciate the coach telling me what my priorities should be.

CPJ came into a mess just like most of the rest of them. Offensive line was a mess, we were starting guys on defense who had no other BCS division offers. Yes, he had that 2007 class; but the 2005 class was ranked 70th in the nation and last in the ACC. 2005 had 6 3-stars (and at least 1 of those left) and 10 2-stars. The 2006 recruiting class was 62nd in the nation and 12th in the ACC with 12 3-stars, 2 2-stars, and 3 0-stars :eek:. The 2008 roster had some pro talent AND some huge holes in it.

Chan without an aggressive defense would’ve missed bowls about 4 out of 6 years. The NFL is different, but in college, you must have an aggressive defense (outside of having Alabama or Clemson talent). Tenuta’s coaching style against the middling ACC offenses of the 2000s is the only reason Chan isn’t seen as an abject failure, IMO.

CPJ came into a mess just like most of the rest of them. Offensive line was a mess, we were starting guys on defense who had no other BCS division offers. Yes, he had that 2007 class; but the 2005 class was ranked 70th in the nation and last in the ACC. 2005 had 6 3-stars (and at least 1 of those left) and 10 2-stars. The 2006 recruiting class was 62nd in the nation and 12th in the ACC with 12 3-stars, 2 2-stars, and 3 0-stars :eek:. The 2008 roster had some pro talent AND some huge holes in it.
CPJ was 30 minutes away from the dwags tying Dodd's 8-year win streak in COFH with the team you just described and won the game. In Athens. Anybody want to advance the idea that CCG would have won that game? Hint - we would have lost by 40.

Back