Dave Wannstedt must smoke crack

Do you not know what the word talent means? I said uga 2008 was one of the most talented teams in uga history and Stafford is certainly part of that, Arm talent including strength is part of of it, but he's also big and athletic. Stafford was the overall nbr 1 pick and obviously the top qb taken, AJ Green was the top WR taken in the draft and Moreno was the top RB taken in the draft. Off the top of my head Geno Aktins, Justin Houston, Reshad Jones, Stafford and Green all went to pro bowls.

Is anybody seriously arguing that the 2008 UGA team did not have tons of talent, even by their standards? It's easily the best UGA team that we've even beaten, at least in my lifetime. If it's not, give me a better one.

All that talent and they couldn’t even win the SEC East. No ones arguing they didn’t have talent. They just weren’t as good as Richt’s earlier teams.

All that talent and they couldn’t even win the SEC East. No ones arguing they didn’t have talent. They just weren’t as good as Richt’s earlier teams.
Yea they couldn't beat National Champion Florida who also had a lot of talent including Tebow, Percy Harvin and Aaron Henandez. Hell, Cam Newton was the 3rd string QB that year at UF.

Gailey had a tough run against some great uga teams but uga 2008 was a hell of a win, as good as it gets really and no need to spin it somehow in an effort to diminish it. It was a great win against a very good uga team that was extremely talented by any standard.

Last edited:
Chan Gailey is a joke. He completely mismanaged Calvin Johnson and Reggie Ball.

I’ve never seen a more promoted, multi-millionaire fail more upwards than he has.
It’s a complete mystery.
I agree there. Reggie did the best he could given the failings of our coaching staff.

Was not a Reggie Ball fan but I always wondered how he would've been in the triple option.

Wannstedt was worse than Gailey. Of course he looks up to someone more talented than himself in his field.

Was not a Reggie Ball fan but I always wondered how he would've been in the triple option.

No way to know. Being able to make option reads is a talent. He was more physically gifted than Tevin and Marshall. He had a stronger arm the JT5.

What he really needed was a system where the WR had the ability to adjust to the pass. Having pro routes that required a lot of accuracy killed him. Reggie could throw a nice fade, though.

No way to know. Being able to make option reads is a talent. He was more physically gifted than Tevin and Marshall. He had a stronger arm the JT5.

What he really needed was a system where the WR had the ability to adjust to the pass. Having pro routes that required a lot of accuracy killed him. Reggie could throw a nice fade, though.

What killed him was his film study/meeting work ethic. He stopped developing.

Chan is very well respected throughout professional football coaching circles; it’s baffling to me that some of our fans make him out to be some sort of idiot while immortalizing Paul Johnson as a godlike football mind. Both had pros and cons, and Their win overall percentages were essentially the same.

Chan Gailey has been a failure every place he has been and has been fired how many times?

Chan Gailey has been a failure every place he has been and has been fired how many times?

He never failed anywhere except maybe Buffalo. He is a good football man. Game probably passed him by, but he was alright.

Don't care what anyone sez, Reggie was a tough ööööer who brought no shame to the institute. I will forever remember him clocking the UGA db on the first play in that video.
He wanted to beat the gaggers worse than anyone on the team. He gets a lot of blame, but we were a play or two away in a few games. I think Chan just got too conservative and Nix was a moron. We had the players.
Least we forget that the year before he came along, we got curb stomped by the gaggers and looked generally frightened all game.

I did not hate Chan like some on here do; but that pro-style offense was the most boring offense I ever remember on the flats. It made me cringe when people wanted to go pro-style after CPJ retired. Chan had trouble recruiting to that boring offense, as much we celebrate the 2007 class; go back and look at the 2005 and 2006 classes. Two 51-7 beat downs and 0-6 against UGA meant it was time for him to go. You haven't seen his name pop-up for college head coaching vacancies for a reason, even when Chan was unemployed.

That said, he isn't that bad as a pro OC. You probably won't get a championship offense; but you if want stable and consistent on offense as a HC he should work out ok.
Chan's offense here was strange. If you watch his offenses in the NFL, they seemed creative and moved the ball. At GT, it was up the middle, up the middle, pass (incomplete, thx Reggie) then punt. Not much variation from that. He didnt seem to adopt any college style offense into his offense. The modern NFL offenses have actually picked up a bunch of college offense elements and now is a blend of old-school drop back and the read option. Pure pro-style QBs are being phased out for dual threats. I bet Gailey's offense would look drastically different today if given another college try.

You know, if Paterdude doesn't work out, maybe WE can hire Chan as OC. It could work.

I’ll criticize and praise without bias.

Gailey praise:
Class act throughout and still
No losing seasons
Recruited some absolute studs and diamonds in the rough
Left a better roster than when he arrived

Gailey criticisms:
Never beat uga
Tony Hollings debacle
Nix
The 7win ceiling
ACCCG debacle
51-7
The 4th down OOB
Academic issues/aloof CEO approach

Johnson praise:
Orange Bowl x2
Beating uga multiple times
ACCCG appearances and win
A devastating offense when it was on
Developed several 2* players to very good college athletes

Johnson criticism:
Recruiting sucked and got worse over time
Defenses sucked and DC coordinator hires largely sucked
Offense was a clown show when it was off which was becoming more frequent
Left team worse than he found it
Which coach understands more X’s and O’s Of football and can make the best in-game adjustments: CG or PJ?

Which coach understands more X’s and O’s Of football and can make the best in-game adjustments: CG or PJ?
Neither one was any less hard headed than the other, but that is probably true for all coaches.
Even Collins insisted on shotgun snaps on 3rd and a yard or less when a sneak is the most probable path to a 1st down.
I'd love to see a Mike Cox style fullback in the game with a TC, Dwyer, or Daniels style tailback with some under center power calls. Mix it up with the shotgun/pistol.

Neither one was any less hard headed than the other, but that is probably true for all coaches.
Even Collins insisted on shotgun snaps on 3rd and a yard or less when a sneak is the most probable path to a 1st down.
I'd love to see a Mike Cox style fullback in the game with a TC, Dwyer, or Daniels style tailback with some under center power calls. Mix it up with the shotgun/pistol.

I would love for someone to create a video of every time we’ve given up a first down on 3-short to a team in the shotgun the past 12 years just to put this stupid meme to rest.

I would love for someone to create a video of every time we’ve given up a first down on 3-short to a team in the shotgun the past 12 years just to put this stupid meme to rest.
We have given one up? In my section, we generally say the opposition has us where they want us when they are facing a 3rd and 15. Our defense has been horrible on any third down. Don't measure against our defense, measure against them all, only FBS vs FBS teams and I guarantee you the % is much higher getting a 1st down on 3rd and a yard or less with the QB under center than 7 yards back.

Back