Dave Wannstedt must smoke crack

Reggie Ball was a pretty good QB. He was under appreciated.
I have always been a fan of his. He was hampered by having Nix as an OC. We really needed an experienced OC there, not someone training on the job.

There's a huge difference between being an NFL coordinator and a college HC. As far as understanding offensive football goes, Chan has earned his reputation for that reason. Being able to communicate that knowledge to the players so that they may translate it to success on the field is a much different task. And you can know everything there is to know but still call a game in a way that doesn't maximize success. That might be trying to establish certain things when you'd be better off exploiting mismatches (e.g. Calvin). Or calling a very conservative game to minimize turnovers and win with field position. Or having a very nuanced system that your players simply can't execute consistently or require pre-snap reads and checks that either don't happen or you don't trust your QB enough to make happen.

Like poker aggression pays off, but you need to be mindful of where recklessness starts to come in. And you need to be able to sweat the bad beats without going on tilt or getting super conservative.

Chan didn't have a personality for fans, he always said his offensive plan was to get a touchdown ahead and hold the other team from scoring!!!

It got predictable enough that I would sit in my north stands perch in 2007 and say "off tackle right" or some other play and be correct 75%+ of the time. We got so predictable.

Does anyone want to do a comparison of the number of times we were blown out each season, put a trend line to it and compare our coaches? Chan shortened games, played field position, and played to the strengths of our personnel. We upset a team or two a year because of it. We had a terrible record as the favorite, though, probably for the same reasons. He was a better coach than he gets credit for because he never did care that much about beating uga and the team seemed to have a choke artist curse tied to that game the last few years. Not as bad as losing in 2009, though.

yep, the '05 yr' was "gailey -strange". Beat awbern there in 1st game ( reigning Nat champs) and later as 18! pt away dogs to (#3)uM. BUT-lost to VT 7-51 and bowl ,Utah, 10-38. and uga of course- Weird

I’ll criticize and praise without bias.

Gailey praise:
Class act throughout and still
No losing seasons
Recruited some absolute studs and diamonds in the rough
Left a better roster than when he arrived

Gailey criticisms:
Never beat uga
Tony Hollings debacle
Nix
The 7win ceiling
ACCCG debacle
51-7
The 4th down OOB
Academic issues/aloof CEO approach

Johnson praise:
Orange Bowl x2
Beating uga multiple times
ACCCG appearances and win
A devastating offense when it was on
Developed several 2* players to very good college athletes

Johnson criticism:
Recruiting sucked and got worse over time
Defenses sucked and DC coordinator hires largely sucked
Offense was a clown show when it was off which was becoming more frequent
Left team worse than he found it

WOW, very good synopsis
CG did have above 7 win in 06 but as you said -BLEW the title

Chan Gailey is a joke. He completely mismanaged Calvin Johnson and Reggie Ball.

I’ve never seen a more promoted, multi-millionaire fail more upwards than he has.
It’s a complete mystery.
I'm not so sure about Calvin because he got many chances usually --but Reggie was CRAZY erratic, in Sr yr vs Wake and uga ,he was 15-51! in passes.
That is beyond bad.

It got predictable enough that I would sit in my north stands perch in 2007 and say "off tackle right" or some other play and be correct 75%+ of the time. We got so predictable.

Whenever Nesbitt was put in it would be a QB sneak.

Whenever Nesbitt was put in it would be a QB sneak.

I thought those were just QB keepers from the shotgun. Nesbitt wouldn’t be loved today had Chan remained the HC. He would have invariably gotten dinged up like Reggie and wasn’t anymore accurate.

Had the pleasure of talking with CCG a few times at Juniors when I still worked in Tech Tower. He's a class act.
Nothing bad to say about him. He had some great recruiting classes. If he'd won COFH at least once or twice, he'd probably still be here.

Back