Depth Chart: #FearJabari

Im feelin really good about the secondary and D-line. Linebacker should be fine. QB, no worries, obviously. O-line looks solid, and looks like we re-loaded with even better athletes at B-back.

Cant say im not a little worried about AB and WR. Those 2 groups have to work together to open up our outside run game, which was a deadly, well oiled machine in the second half of last season. Just a lot of new, untested names on that depth chart at those spots. I think we have a ton of talent coming up, but it's a little scary that besides Snoddy (who im honestly not that sold on, other than his speed in open space), we have very little game experience in those 2 positions.

It's a little disappointing that some of the bigger WR's that have been here a year or 2 arent beating out Stewart and Summers (when healthy). It's always a plus in our offense when we have a big, physical blocker and deep threat at receiver. The smaller, possession guys have never had a huge impact in this offense, though that could change. Philpott and Howell both look like guys that could eventually grow into that big receiver role. I think we will see a little of both this season.

Overall, my gut says we will be much improved on D, and slightly down on O (for the reasons mentioned above), but overall should be dangerous with a slightly lower floor and higher ceiling than last year. I like our chances against any team right now. Consistency on O will be key. Im confident some new guys will step up and a few games in and we will be rolling again. Im super excited to see how it plays out. This is the most confident I have felt going into a season probably ever.

Cant say im not a little worried about AB and WR. Those 2 groups have to work together to open up our outside run game, which was a deadly, well oiled machine in the second half of last season. Just a lot of new, untested names on that depth chart at those spots. I think we have a ton of talent coming up, but it's a little scary that besides Snoddy (who im honestly not that sold on, other than his speed in open space), we have very little game experience in those 2 positions.

It's a little disappointing that some of the bigger WR's that have been here a year or 2 arent beating out Stewart and Summers (when healthy). It's always a plus in our offense when we have a big, physical blocker and deep threat at receiver. The smaller, possession guys have never had a huge impact in this offense, though that could change. Philpott and Howell both look like guys that could eventually grow into that big receiver role. I think we will see a little of both this season.

Did you forget about Ricky Jeune at WR? He's a big body who has been here a couple years, and from reports has been our best overall receiver this offseason. So no, Summers and Stewart aren't our only receivers. And say what you want about Stewart, but I think that guy will be all conference before he graduates. The fact that he DID crack the starting lineup is a good thing - not a bad reflection on our other guys. Stewart is a good athlete with great hands, and I'll take a guy who can make catches because we haven't always been blessed with that at WR (Stephen Hill, etc). and if it's blocking you're concerned about, I trust that with this kid's work ethic and intangibles focus, he will be a great blocker as he gets more adept to the offense. I'm not at all worried about receiver from an ability standpoint, it will just come down to how they work with JT.

As for AB, I'll give you that is probably my biggest area of concern for this year. We just won't have the depth in rotation that we did last year. We'll rotate 3 or 4 guys instead of 5-6 like last year. If one goes down, it's going to hurt a lot... Dennis Andrews left.... Nate Cottrell got broken... We have had bad luck with AB stability.

How has no one not noticed the growth spurt that JT had in the offseason. He's practically eye-to-eye with Byerly now.

Inexperienced WRs and backs? No problem with that Oline. Three seniors, a junior and a sophomore, all red shirts!

This is the year, if there's gonna be one.

So maybe I'm showing my complete ignorance here, but didn't PJ play middle LB last year and Marcordes play outside? If so, why the switch?

How has no one not noticed the growth spurt that JT had in the offseason. He's practically eye-to-eye with Byerly now.

"lifts"

lifts.jpg

So maybe I'm showing my complete ignorance here, but didn't PJ play middle LB last year and Marcordes play outside? If so, why the switch?

Nealy played the middle last season. Marcodes played as stand up Pass rusher in our 3-3-5 Nickel look. Marcodes at the middle on Nickle suggest that he is one our better coverage LB.

Did you forget about Ricky Jeune at WR? He's a big body who has been here a couple years, and from reports has been our best overall receiver this offseason. So no, Summers and Stewart aren't our only receivers. And say what you want about Stewart, but I think that guy will be all conference before he graduates. The fact that he DID crack the starting lineup is a good thing - not a bad reflection on our other guys. Stewart is a good athlete with great hands, and I'll take a guy who can make catches because we haven't always been blessed with that at WR (Stephen Hill, etc). and if it's blocking you're concerned about, I trust that with this kid's work ethic and intangibles focus, he will be a great blocker as he gets more adept to the offense. I'm not at all worried about receiver from an ability standpoint, it will just come down to how they work with JT.

As for AB, I'll give you that is probably my biggest area of concern for this year. We just won't have the depth in rotation that we did last year. We'll rotate 3 or 4 guys instead of 5-6 like last year. If one goes down, it's going to hurt a lot... Dennis Andrews left.... Nate Cottrell got broken... We have had bad luck with AB stability.

No, didnt forget about Jeune, since he's starting, obviously. I said I was a little disappointed that none of the other bigger guys, such as Messick or Johnson, who have been here a year or 2 are beating out the smaller guys. Call me biased, but I cant think of one impact player at receiver we have ever had in this offense that wasnt a big, physical body. D Thomas, Hill, Waller, and Smelter have spoiled me, I guess, but we have never had to rely on a smaller receiver as the go to guy. Maybe Jeune will be that guy, but he hasnt been that impressive yet. Summers hasnt shown much yet either and Stewart is obviously unknown at this point. They could all be great this season, but at this point, im a little concerned. It's not a coincidence that our best years have been when we have a big, dominant, go-to receiver. It's pretty key in opening up the run game and keeping drives going on 3rd downs.

Nealy played the middle last season. Marcodes played as stand up Pass rusher in our 3-3-5 Nickel look. Marcodes at the middle on Nickle suggest that he is one our better coverage LB.

Yes was covering the slot receiver a lot of the time.

Thing about our depth chart at AB is it doesn't matter if you start or not. We rotate those in. We do a bit of it at WR too.

just saw the Wreck driving around downtown. I'd rather be hit by it than Jabari.

just saw the Wreck driving around downtown. I'd rather be hit by it than Jabari.

What're you doing downtown on a Saturday? I thought you otp'ers never ventured that far into the belly of the beast unless it's for work or football.

Wait, is it Saturday? I hope it is because I just woke up.

Noted. The hype train is in danger of running off the rails.

He also told us why Vad Lee was going to win a championship and Tevin was useless. I take his opinion with a grain of salt.

He also told us why Vad Lee was going to win a championship and Tevin was useless. I take his opinion with a grain of salt.

I was wrong about Vad. He was a bad fit for us. I also said before last season that JT is a much better QB for us and will play great but you seem to forget that.

<edit> BTW, why cant you let this go? I am not the first human ever to make a bad prediction. Not sure why youve locked onto this one?

Last edited:
Back