Disappoint.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Pretty clear Oliver has the best chance to win. He's the best scrambler and throws a good ball when he has protection.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Patenaude will do fine once he gets his players. The roster isn't exactly stacked with 5-6 1st and 2nd round NFL draft picks.
Do you think the type offense we saw last night is going to pull in the 1st and 2nd round NFL draft picks everyone is counting on? Our starting QB had 20 carries and 9 attempts (Etienne had 12 carries, Trevor Lawrence had 23 attempts). What we did last night was what recruits saw.

ramblin57

Varsity Lurker
Guys, even Johnson's offense took 3-4 games to really start clicking. While disappointed in the overall play, I saw reasons to be encouraged. This was a tough team to start out with a new coach.
As matter of fact every year it took about 4 games to start clicking.

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like
The shotgun on short stuff was painful to watch given our previous identity, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Clemson literally had the #1 defense in the nation last year and at the moment has more NC momentum as a program than Bama.

Surely we all knew that Collins was not a time-tested HC and was going to face a learning curve, right? Y'all relax, last night was good for everyone in the program.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Do you think the type offense we saw last night is going to pull in the 1st and 2nd round NFL draft picks everyone is counting on? Our starting QB had 20 carries and 9 attempts (Etienne had 12 carries, Trevor Lawrence had 23 attempts). What we did last night was what recruits saw.
Recruits see players who they will be replacing. Gleason is a pro style QB who had offers to play at UGA, UNC, WVU, etc. Our current QBs had offers to play other positions.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Recruits see players who they will be replacing. Gleason is a pro style QB who had offers to play at UGA, UNC, WVU, etc. Our current QBs had offers to play other positions.
I think he still has offers to play at UGA, UNC, WVU etc..

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I think he still has offers to play at UGA, UNC, WVU etc..
What is your point? Coaches sell recruits, particularly quarterbacks, on their vision for how they will be used. The old staff convinced Vad Lee that he would be more than just an option QB, for instance.

Different players bring different skill sets. This isn't going to be Calvin Booker trying to run the triple option.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
49 - 21 against confirmed National Championship team > 52 - 14 against potential National Championship team

gave up less points. scored more points.

so I am going to say better last year.

hope that answers your question.
We were also only 16 point underdogs last year, and Lawrence was making his first career start.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
What is your point? Coaches sell recruits, particularly quarterbacks, on their vision for how they will be used. The old staff convinced Vad Lee that he would be more than just an option QB, for instance.

Different players bring different skill sets. This isn't going to be Calvin Booker trying to run the triple option.
My point is that if we keep rolling out that same offense we ran last night until early signing day...they ain't signed until they've signed.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
My point is that if we keep rolling out that same offense we ran last night until early signing day...they ain't signed until they've signed.
I agree that we will need to open it up, but regardless of how the offense performs for the remainder of this season, the guys we're targeting are aware that we're in a transition.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
That’s a “known variable” - I don’t think anyone was operating under the delusion that we would suddenly have talent on-par with the #1 team in the nation after 9 months of “juice”. I certainly wasn’t expecting to see our talent suddenly rocket to Clemson/Bama levels.
While I would agree with you, the comments I kept reading last night certainly didn't indicate that very many people remembered that.