Discipline:

Last year wasn't too bad. As @cbee mentioned, some came at really bad times and I think those seared memories into people's heads for the rest of the year, so that any time a penalty occurred in another game it became a full-scale indictment on CGC as a coach.

All that said, this year has been bad and his two years at Temple included a lot of penalties, as well. Not great to be among the most penalized teams in three of four years. Doesn't mean it can't be cleaned up, but it does suggest more attention to detail is needed in practice.

Being an asshole to your players is not the only way to achieve discipline. I agree that we obviously have some significant penalty issues this year, but I would chalk that up more to youth than anything else. Not only are we playing a bunch of young players who are still learning a new system - some of those players are at key positions, like quarterback. I'd be way more concerned if we were playing dirty, starting fights, etc. That isn't happening.

BTW, this isn't necessarily a defense of CGC's coaching acumen. He's proven his recruiting chops at this point, but I think it's fair to say the jury is still out on his coaching. Hopefully next year we'll see some more improvement as we start to have some consistency with the lineup.

Is there a stat-keeper anywhere that shows WHO gets the penalties each time? Curious to see which players cause the most penalties.
It's in the final game stats books on www.ramblinwreck.com. Go to the schedule and click on Final Stats and search for penalty and then scroll through the results. Kind of a pain, but all I could find. It only lists the names of our players who committed penalties, not the opponent.

We were one of the least penalized teams last year. 3rd in conf on number and yards. Basically we had 2 poor games (one of those games I think we had a bad half) and everyone remembers it, has made up their mind and no evidence will change it. Very typical.

This season we have had 3 awful games but 2 of them were more recent where we are playing a lot of young players. FWIW, we are 3rd worse in the conf but basically 6 teams are all about the same so we aren’t some outlier in this regard.

We are an inexperienced team where practiced was screwed up by COVID. Using this season as proof of anything is silly. Time will tell.
"Using this season as proof of anything is silly."

Maybe you should tell the CFP folks to just lock up that weird oblong-shaped trophy another year, because it doesn't prove anything.

Maybe you should tell the CFP folks to just lock up that weird oblong-shaped trophy another year, because it doesn't prove anything.

I'm sorry you can't keep up with adult conversations. Wins and losses are proof of winning and losing games. People speculating that Collins will always coach undisciplined teams because of the performance of this GT team is arbitrary BS.

We were one of the least penalized teams last year. 3rd in conf on number and yards. Basically we had 2 poor games (one of those games I think we had a bad half) and everyone remembers it, has made up their mind and no evidence will change it. Very typical.

This season we have had 3 awful games but 2 of them were more recent where we are playing a lot of young players. FWIW, we are 3rd worse in the conf but basically 6 teams are all about the same so we aren’t some outlier in this regard.

We are an inexperienced team where practiced was screwed up by COVID. Using this season as proof of anything is silly. Time will tell.

Hmm, you seem to be making some assumptions to how committed my opinion is on this matter

Hmm, you seem to be making some assumptions to how committed my opinion is on this matter

I think you are assuming my answer was ONLY directed at you.

You made a bad assumption, I supplied factual information (some for, some against your assumption) and offer a couple of opinions on why people are making that same assumption.

I think you are assuming my answer was ONLY directed at you.

You made a bad assumption, I supplied factual information (some for, some against your assumption) and offer a couple of opinions on why people are making that same assumption.

Whatever you say

- peace

A little perspective and somewhat disconcerting, Temple ranked 47th in penalties in 2017 and 118th in 2018. For comparison, GT was 15th in 2017 and 2nd in 2018. Doesn't mean anything unless it doesn't change. Time will tell.

Once we get in more guys that can play the ones that commit penalties sit and the ones that don’t get to play. Right now we can’t afford to pull guys in some positions off the field for false starts on 1st and goal from the 1.

FWIW we are one of the most penalized teams in FBS this year at 124 of 130. We are right between Pittsburgh and FSU. We have gotten worse the last 3 games and particularly the last one.

We were one of the best last year at #9 out of 130. And we were really, really good under CPJ in 2018 and 2017 (#2 out of 130). So not surprising that going from #2 to #124 is noticeable to us. Time will tell if it is something to be concerned about.

I don't know how CGC talks to the team in the locker room but I hope it's something like this as a "players coach." Unfortunately I don't think he does. Lots of respect to Indiana's Tom Allen. He's expresses love and demands respect. His team seems disciplined (Indiana currently ranks 27 in fewest penalties with 29 for 308 yds, Tech ranks 116 with 81 penalties for 663 yds) and they show how much they love him. He shows that you can be stern with players while also loving them. True love is telling someone the truth because you know it's what's best for them even though it may hurt them initially. If you try to tip toe around issues in order to not hurt anyone's feelings than you are doing them a disservice.

Wasn't this exactly what you yourself were advocating for?

This entire season should just be considered exhibition football. No one cares, but personally I will not consider anyone to be champion this year, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Thank you, China.

FWIW we are one of the most penalized teams in FBS this year at 124 of 130. We are right between Pittsburgh and FSU. We have gotten worse the last 3 games and particularly the last one.

We were one of the best last year at #9 out of 130. And we were really, really good under CPJ in 2018 and 2017 (#2 out of 130). So not surprising that going from #2 to #124 is noticeable to us. Time will tell if it is something to be concerned about.
SIX ACC teams in the bottom 20. Maybe it’s in part the ACC refs.

I don't know how CGC talks to the team in the locker room but I hope it's something like this as a "players coach." Unfortunately I don't think he does. Lots of respect to Indiana's Tom Allen. He's expresses love and demands respect. His team seems disciplined (Indiana currently ranks 27 in fewest penalties with 29 for 308 yds, Tech ranks 116 with 81 penalties for 663 yds) and they show how much they love him. He shows that you can be stern with players while also loving them. True love is telling someone the truth because you know it's what's best for them even though it may hurt them initially. If you try to tip toe around issues in order to not hurt anyone's feelings than you are doing them a disservice.

That's cool.

In other news, Holly Rowe is still annoying.

Back