Discipline:

...you do realize the NCAA sets a weekly limit on organized team practice, right? Coach can’t just call everyone up and tell em to throw on pads.
LOL....dude really. Does the NCAA have a set number times a kickball tourney is approved? Homerun derby? These boys know what they signed up for and you don't have to "throw on pads" to practice. The NCAA rulebook has nothing to with a decision for "playtime" during a football season. Great Teams take advantage of off times.... They also work toward becoming great and not legging out a double

Actually, last year our rate of penalties was very low which surprised me. Think many of them came at very inopportune times (Citadel) or were repeats (illegal participation). This year though, we are, last I looked, 124th out of 130 teams. Not good and costing us opportunities to potentially win games. Personally, I view it as a lack of discipline that comes from the coach. Others will disagree.
Finally, someone with some common sense. Discipline comes from coaching...period

LOL....dude really. Does the NCAA have a set number times a kickball tourney is approved? Homerun derby? These boys know what they signed up for and you don't have to "throw on pads" to practice. The NCAA rulebook has nothing to with a decision for "playtime" during a football season. Great Teams take advantage of off times.... They also work toward becoming great and not legging out a double

Good, Great, and outstanding players recognize they can practice their craft on their own outside of the NCAA mandated 20 hr limit on scheduled.

They can do things on their own:

-weight lift
-run
-practice throwing, catching, hand drills
-walk thru steps
-extra film time with or without coaches
-visualize
-launch coordinated social media campaigns to demoralize their opponent if they're tech savvy enough

Good, Great, and outstanding players recognize they can practice their craft on their own outside of the NCAA mandated 20 hr limit on scheduled.

They can do things on their own:

-weight lift
-run
-practice throwing, catching, hand drills
-walk thru steps
-extra film time with or without coaches
-visualize
-launch coordinated social media campaigns to demoralize their opponent if they're tech savvy enough
Exactly.... and they aren't playing kickball, etc orchestrated by a HypeMan (which could produce a greater chance of injury).... Good Players work to become Great and are encouraged to do just that. In the words of Dr. Doback "rompus time is over"

I don't know how CGC talks to the team in the locker room but I hope it's something like this as a "players coach." Unfortunately I don't think he does. Lots of respect to Indiana's Tom Allen. He's expresses love and demands respect. His team seems disciplined (Indiana currently ranks 27 in fewest penalties with 29 for 308 yds, Tech ranks 116 with 81 penalties for 663 yds) and they show how much they love him. He shows that you can be stern with players while also loving them. True love is telling someone the truth because you know it's what's best for them even though it may hurt them initially. If you try to tip toe around issues in order to not hurt anyone's feelings than you are doing them a disservice.

Just want to preference that I have now affiliation with Indiana. This is just more evidence that you can love and discipline players at the same time.

Exactly.... and they aren't playing kickball, etc orchestrated by a HypeMan (which could produce a greater chance of injury).... Good Players work to become Great and are encouraged to do just that. In the words of Dr. Doback "rompus time is over"

How do you know that other teams don’t organize non-football activities?

These boys know what they signed up for and you don't have to "throw on pads" to practice.
Collins can't organize football practice beyond NCAA limits, yet you are upset that he organized some voluntary extracurriculars instead of additional football practice.

Did I miss something?

I think it’s a young team. I’ll tolerate penalties and top 25 recruiting class more than I will recruiting classes that finish In the 50s-60s.

Collins can't organize football practice beyond NCAA limits, yet you are upset that he organized some voluntary extracurriculars instead of additional football practice.

Did I miss something?

I don't particularly care either way, I just think it's funny when things are volunTOLD.

Did I miss something?
Legit Question...... do we know of any other teams that had Kickball Tourneys, Homerun Derby's, etc.....or is Tech the only one getting attention for it?

Just want to preference that I have now affiliation with Indiana. This is just more evidence that you can love and discipline players at the same time.

Bingo.....and we'd probably lose by double digits to their back up qb at this point.

Legit Question...... do we know of any other teams that had Kickball Tourneys, Homerun Derby's, etc.....or is Tech the only one getting attention for it?
IDK, I don't keep up with other teams. I do know that Clemson has basketball courts and a wiffle ball field specifically for the football team to use

IDK, I don't keep up with other teams. I do know that Clemson has basketball courts and a wiffle ball field specifically for the football team to use
Well if they're utilizing them during the season..... They've earned that right....but I seriously doubt Dabo is saying "well guys, we can't practice today......Whoooooo's up for some Whiffle Balllllllllllllllll???"

Well if they're utilizing them during the season..... They've earned that right....but I seriously doubt Dabo is saying "well guys, we can't practice today......Whoooooo's up for some Whiffle Balllllllllllllllll???"
They have their own slide... we all know here that Dabo isn’t really a coach but just a figure head.

Why would you doubt they don't participate in other activities? I realize it isn't normal, but we took 1 or 2 days to give our guys a break from football during an extended time between games due to Covid shutdown.

I do know where you are trying to go with this. You are wanting a bandwagon of fans to jump onboard with you pointing a finger at Collins and staff as being a poor coaching staff for doing this when obviously we should have been grinding out more practices and instilling discipline. You feel like Collins is lesser than Dabo. I get it. Of course, Dabo did specifically ask for the fun stuff from DRad when asked what he needed for the program. I'm certain at some point during the season football players at Clemson make use of the facilities.

The guy we named the stadium after used to have the team play volleyball during practice. He did ok, I think.

The guy we named the stadium after used to have the team play volleyball during practice. He did ok, I think.
I'd imagine some of these activities are a pretty good workout.

You realize CPJ had dodgeball games during practice, right? Pretty sure it was the year we won the ACC championship

Back