Do you trust our AD

What does being a Spaniard have to do with anything? You just sound racist.

Obviously if you're a Spaniard you didn't grow up going to Georgia Tech football games. Or tailgate at them. You didn't grow up around people who did the same for all the other teams in the region. It's the cultural implications I'm bringing forward. He wasn't steeped in CFB growing up, so I would expect him to not fully grasp the culture. You can declutch your pearls now and self-enroll in a diversity and inclusivity workshop. And maybe just ask the implication next time if you didn't understand it. Actual ask ... not faux ask with the your own made up bullshit immediately following the question.

Last edited:
I suspect the turf is much more about saving money than generating revenue. It just sounds better to say we want to host events than to say we don't want to keep spending the money to maintain one of the best fields in the nation.

I hate it but think it's the right decision given our finances relative to our competitors. I do agree it should look better though.

It makes perfect sense *IF* you're actually hosting concerts in the offseason with some regularity. Going to turf for one Rolling Stones concert every 5 years however doesn't make any sense beyond cost savings.

You realize that his contribution to hiring the AD is going to be assembling a search committee, right?

The search committee for CGC included Mac Nease, Mark Teixeira, Al Trujillo, Nathan Rakitt and Reggie DesRoche among others (unfortunately, others included questionable appointments like Steve Swant and Lynn Durham). Bud didn't make the selection.

Edit: And FWIW, Cabrera has been an avid GT football fan since his days as a student. He's probably more plugged into our sports scene than any president we've had.

The devil is in the details. Bud Peterson, who came from Texas A&M and so should know some football, just let the biggest booster make the AD hire. That led to Zelnak giving us Bobinsquatch. Who came from Xavier. Where they have no football. He governed like he had never seen football before too. I have no doubt Mark Teixeira has the best interests of GT and the GTAA at heart. Does that make him a top flight football coach evaluator? Al Tujillo, head of the GT Foundation. Mac Neese ... booster who just paid for the new baseball park (this sounds Zelnak-ish). Nathan Rakitt, former GT men's tennis player and ATP pro. Because when I think hiring football coaches I think finding a tennis pro?!? Reggie DesRoche is currently Provost at Rice and a straight up engineering academic. I have no doubt all of these people had GT's best interests at heart. I have every doubt on Planet Earth that they're good evaluators of football coaching talent and fit. If those are your good fits in the list ... I think I'd rather just write a large check to a hiring consultant who does nothing but hire football coaches instead. Was ANYBODY in the room who had serious football chops? CFB experience? A history of good evaluation of coaching talent? Frankly I'd trust O'Leary's burps over his second helping of chicken fingers more than the collective wisdom of those you listed when it comes to hiring a football coach.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
It makes perfect sense *IF* you're actually hosting concerts in the offseason with some regularity. Going to turf for one Rolling Stones concert every 5 years however doesn't make any sense beyond cost savings.
Right. I think the main motivation was cost savings. Our field was one of the best in the nation, it could not have been cheap to maintain.

It just sounds better to say the motivation is hosting events, even if that's not true.

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
Did he give the Bball coach Pastner a raise and extention? He is 0-4 in conference now and next yr the ONLY 2 scorers are gone and he signed NO recruits in the Fall season. Unless something changes in a HUGE way ,there is a disaster coming. .

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
Not really. The loan stuff and leaving Oregon State was pretty strange, but other than that I thought he’d done a pretty solid job. He clearly likes baseball Too which is trending better,

But this football season made me re-examine what I think of his whole tenure, and it seems like he’s been pretty slow to act or bad on all football stuff. The 12th game in 2017, the 2018 Quick Lane bowl political maneuvering, not showing Johnson any appreciation on the way out, letting Geoff alienate the fans and the previous decade worth of players, gifting an away game back to UCF for next year, promising to raise spending in football yet going into the discount bin for Collins first staff, and so forth.
For what its worth, the baseball program recruits itself with or without an AD, IMO.

LongforDodd

Dodd-Like
The devil is in the details. Bud Peterson, who came from Texas A&M and so should know some football, just let the biggest booster make the AD hire. That led to Zelnak giving us Bobinsquatch. Who came from Xavier. Where they have no football. He governed like he had never seen football before too. I have no doubt Mark Teixeira has the best interests of GT and the GTAA at heart. Does that make him a top flight football coach evaluator? Al Tujillo, head of the GT Foundation. Mac Neese ... booster who just paid for the new baseball park (this sounds Zelnak-ish). Nathan Rakitt, former GT men's tennis player and ATP pro. Because when I think hiring football coaches I think finding a tennis pro?!? Reggie DesRoche is currently Provost at Rice and a straight up engineering academic. I have no doubt all of these people had GT's best interests at heart. I have every doubt on Planet Earth that they're good evaluators of football coaching talent and fit. If those are your good fits in the list ... I think I'd rather just write a large check to a hiring consultant who does nothing but hire football coaches instead. Was ANYBODY in the room who had serious football chops? CFB experience? A history of good evaluation of coaching talent? Frankly I'd trust O'Leary's burps over his second helping of chicken fingers more than the collective wisdom of those you listed when it comes to hiring a football coach.
A tennis player named Rakitt? Serious?