Does the GT Band still.play thr DIXIE riff

No, the tricycle race is the Mini 500 and the Wreck Parade still happens, although it’s lamer than it used to be because you can’t build Wrecks in Minecraft or whatever.

There have been a couple of petitions in recent years trying to “fix” the song, and so far they have been unsuccessful.

JRjr
You're right there! When I saw the Reck parade a couple of years ago with a group of students walking in it reciting poetry I knew it was toast.

When I went to school in the late 2000s the band wasn't saying the "drink get naked" part but all the students were. Feel like I remember that still being the case since then but unfortunately I haven't been to any home games recently.
Officially the band is not supposed to say anything beyond "Fight, Win!" if they're in uniform.

If y’all think not playing Dixie is bad you’ll really be disappointed to learn that they sing “to raise the ratio” rather than “to cheer the brave and bold” now.
I was in the band, raise the ratio has been said for a long time because it's a silly thing to say.

So you are disrespecting the song for the lulz?
Just wait till you here the band version of the alma mater.

200w.gif

At the Pitt VB game, I heard the band sing "raise the ratio"... I don't like it but meh, students gonna student...

However, I REALLY don't like that they yelled it louder than "to hell with georgia". I feel there's not enough hate in the current crop.

At the Pitt VB game, I heard the band sing "raise the ratio"... I don't like it but meh, students gonna student...

However, I REALLY don't like that they yelled it louder than "to hell with georgia". I feel there's not enough hate in the current crop.
Raise the ratio literally goes back more than 30 years and started because male students wanted more females on campus because it was a big old sausage fest.

Jesus Christ some of you losers get butthurt over the stupidest öööö

I know it’s been a thing for a long time. I’ve also been around for a long time. It just seems odd that it has recently found such prominence that you can hear it being sung en masse, especially now that the ratio is actually like 60/40.

JRjr

I know it’s been a thing for a long time. I’ve also been around for a long time. It just seems odd that it has recently found such prominence that you can hear it being sung en masse, especially now that the ratio is actually like 60/40.

JRjr
Maybe you're just sitting closer to the band?
Plus, I never understood the ratio thing bc there are plenty of other schools in the area where women are the dominant student group.
As it was, even in the late 80s early 90s there were good looking girls on campus. Not as many, but they were there.

Maybe you're just sitting closer to the band?
It’s a little insulting the way you throw out suggestions like this, as though the person you’re talking to is a dumbass.

No, I’m sitting in the same place I’ve been sitting for years, with the same relative distance and orientation to the student section.

Since multiple people have observed the same thing, why not think “maybe there’s something to it” instead of “how can I try to explain it away with insultingly dumb suggestions”?

JRjr

It’s a little insulting the way you throw out suggestions like this, as though the person you’re talking to is a dumbass.

No, I’m sitting in the same place I’ve been sitting for years, with the same relative distance and orientation to the student section.

Since multiple people have observed the same thing, why not think “maybe there’s something to it” instead of “how can I try to explain it away with insultingly dumb suggestions”?

JRjr
Bc you whine a lot!

Bc you whine a lot!
I’m not even whining about it, you ööööing autist. It’s a GT-relevant observation being discussed on a GT message board. I’m not mad about it, I just find it to be an interesting phenomenon. I also found it interesting when “Go Georgia Tech” caught on during the Budweiser Song some years back.

JRjr

I’m not even whining about it, you ööööing autist. It’s a GT-relevant observation being discussed on a GT message board. I’m not mad about it, I just find it to be an interesting phenomenon. I also found it interesting when “Go Georgia Tech” caught on during the Budweiser Song some years back.

JRjr
You misspelled "artist"
Maybe these newfangled kids have louder voices?
Maybe without adding "Go Georgia Tech" singing the Budweiser song would not be allowed
Maybe ask a Tech historian?
We all await your scholarly paper on the subject of your whimsical interest!

It’s cause technically it’s Dixie. But those band members probably wouldn’t know unless they were told. So some dumb crusader is to blame. It is what it is and I’ll live. I’m not gonna fight for it because it was Dixie. Doesn’t even sound like it. But it sounded cool.
it offended people. While I’m a huge history fan and love the song, I think it is good we don’t have that in the song anymore

Maybe a little bit of history here could be a good thing.

Way back in the day, it is understood that Dixie was played at the end of the 3rd quarter. Do not know when, or how, this started.

Coach Dodd thought that it should be stopped and made it happen. Please forgive, can not remember when. Seem to remember that it was later in his career. Not sure if when still Head Coach or AD.

Soon after it was stopped, it was replaced with the "Budweiser - You Said it All" thing.

Maybe someone with a better memory, or connections to the band, can fill in the missing items for the time line.

That is all.

THWG!

Maybe a little bit of history here could be a good thing.

Way back in the day, it is understood that Dixie was played at the end of the 3rd quarter. Do not know when, or how, this started.

Coach Dodd thought that it should be stopped and made it happen. Please forgive, can not remember when. Seem to remember that it was later in his career. Not sure if when still Head Coach or AD.

Soon after it was stopped, it was replaced with the "Budweiser - You Said it All" thing.

Maybe someone with a better memory, or connections to the band, can fill in the missing items for the time line.

That is all.

THWG!

Budweiser song was written in 1970, so it wouldn't have been before that.

Steve Karmen, a renowned jingle-writer, composed the original Budweiser music, for different lyrics, in 1970 and, later that year, Karmen’s corporation, Elsmere Music, Inc. (“Elsmere”) entered into an agreement with Anheuser-Busch’s advertising agency, D’Arcy, Masius Benton & Bowles, Inc. (“D’Arcy”) licensing the use of the Karmen jingle in Budweiser advertising.​

Back