Does the GT Band still.play thr DIXIE riff

We already figured it out

did they say it was noise hazard or something?
I assume they still blow the whistle during the day? A few years ago some gentrifiers moving into the area around campus did complain about the noise IIRC.

JRjr

Follow-up:

It disappeared in 2020. Missing at the 2:13 mark here. The "new" version feels a bit clunky compared to the pre-Dixie version from the early 90s and prior.

Sounds like the trumpets played the first few notes of Dixie by mistake.

Thanks!

Side note, I always liked the slow three note build up to Up with the White and Gold. I think that disappeared around 2001.

An example at the 2:13:10 mark here:

At least back in 2014, it's written as 3 long notes (fermatas) where each note is queued. For as long as I was in the band, they were played in time.

At least back in 2014, it's written as 3 long notes (fermatas) where each note is queued. For as long as I was in the band, they were played in time.
That transition started back around 2000. I started in '96 and it was mostly directed with true fermatas then. I noticed the drum majors more and more often directing it in time as my career went along. I never knew if it was a conscious group decision or not. I remember after some big wins (the U(sic)GA win in '98, for example), Bucky (the director at the time) would direct the fight songs immediately after the game and he'd hold those notes extra long, just to help emphasize the moment. I always liked that.

That transition started back around 2000. I started in '96 and it was mostly directed with true fermatas then. I noticed the drum majors more and more often directing it in time as my career went along. I never knew if it was a conscious group decision or not. I remember after some big wins (the U(sic)GA win in '98, for example), Bucky (the director at the time) would direct the fight songs immediately after the game and he'd hold those notes extra long, just to help emphasize the moment. I always liked that.
Same, that emphasis on those notes was great. I also loved that after a TD, you guys would double back and play a very muted (mostly drums) 2nd version of Up with the White & Gold during the PAT try. It would immediately transition to the "full" version after the PAT was made.

We used to play a version in basketball pregame that started very slow and worked its way up to tempo. I always liked that version of it and wonder if they still play it.

I also loved playing Alexander’s Ragtime Band on the set.

Assume we’re talking about the little up tempo bit between “bow wows” and “rip through the air”. We stole the song and most of the lyrics from Cal a long long time ago, so it needed some GT touches to connect it better to our school & teams. Something more than merely subbing Georgia for Stanford and Georgia Tech for Golden Bears. That little riff served that purpose giving the song a bit of a Southern flair. I never recognized it as borrowed from Dixie, but I wasn’t looking for it either. Now that we’re in the same conference as Cal the song needs a GT flair even more. BDS blasts hip hop songs in the stadium, we’re having Big Boi at HBP, a black alumnus is the city’s mayor, and we’ve proudly graduated more black engineers than other schools for generations. I don’t think that little riff was a racist dog whistle, but the Jim Crow era predates me and plenty other older alums. Leave it in the past. But give our fight songs a GT flair. If not the “Dixie riff” then get creative and clever with some distinctive flairs that work with brass instruments. My 2 cents.

Assume we’re talking about the little up tempo bit between “bow wows” and “rip through the air”. We stole the song and most of the lyrics from Cal a long long time ago, so it needed some GT touches to connect it better to our school & teams. Something more than merely subbing Georgia for Stanford and Georgia Tech for Golden Bears. That little riff served that purpose giving the song a bit of a Southern flair. I never recognized it as borrowed from Dixie, but I wasn’t looking for it either. Now that we’re in the same conference as Cal the song needs a GT flair even more. BDS blasts hip hop songs in the stadium, we’re having Big Boi at HBP, a black alumnus is the city’s mayor, and we’ve proudly graduated more black engineers than other schools for generations. I don’t think that little riff was a racist dog whistle, but the Jim Crow era predates me and plenty other older alums. Leave it in the past. But give our fight songs a GT flair. If not the “Dixie riff” then get creative and clever with some distinctive flairs that work with brass instruments. My 2 cents.
the “Dixie riff” was likely borrowed from the General Lee's horn sound on Dukes of Hazzard.
It's actually played many times faster than that horn sound in our fight song.

the “Dixie riff” was likely borrowed from the General Lee's horn sound on Dukes of Hazzard.
It's actually played many times faster than that horn sound in our fight song.
It’s not like we painted a Confederate flag on the wreck, or had a dude leaning out the window shooting dynamite arrows at the opposing sideline as it drove on the field. That would have been over the top.

It’s not like we painted a Confederate flag on the wreck, or had a dude leaning out the window shooting dynamite arrows at the opposing sideline as it drove on the field. That would have been over the top.
curiosity-curious.gif

If the GT band did mimic the General Lee horn sound, it may have been to mock the show’s caricatures / stereotypes. Could have leaned in and had fun with it if that was the purpose. But the notes I remember don’t sound like the same land of cotton riff the car’s horn played. At least I never made that connection.

What is it the kids are doing now after a first down? they go something like WOOOO HOOOO and then hold their hand out and wiggle their fingers. Seems really odd. What am I missing?

What is it the kids are doing now after a first down? they go something like WOOOO HOOOO and then hold their hand out and wiggle their fingers. Seems really odd. What am I missing?
Bring back the p plant steam whistle. Even if only for game days. Traditions are a great part of college football. Whoever stopped the steam whistle on 1st down needs a kick in the balls.

I was trying to figure that out too. I've always seen them do a First Down signal, but I guess now they hold out their hands until after the following first down play. The WOOOO HOOOO thing is new to me.

Sounds like the trumpets played the first few notes of Dixie by mistake.
I didn't notice it during the game (Duke 2024), but watching a replay, they only play the first half of dixie. So the descending notes going into "down on the old farm".

Back