Does the GT Band still.play thr DIXIE riff

Dixie reminds black folks of slavery and the old segregated South- i’m not saying this is right or wrong but seeing as how most of our athletes are black and most of the kids we are recruiting are black there’s a reason why we don’t play it anymore. I don’t think even Ole Miss plays it anymore

Budweiser song was written in 1970, so it wouldn't have been before that.

Steve Karmen, a renowned jingle-writer, composed the original Budweiser music, for different lyrics, in 1970 and, later that year, Karmen’s corporation, Elsmere Music, Inc. (“Elsmere”) entered into an agreement with Anheuser-Busch’s advertising agency, D’Arcy, Masius Benton & Bowles, Inc. (“D’Arcy”) licensing the use of the Karmen jingle in Budweiser advertising.​
This all happened way before my time but I remember hearing that it was originally sung "When you say Bud Carson, you've said it all." Wikipedia says Carson coached through the '71 season so I'd assume it started in '70 or '71.

This all happened way before my time but I remember hearing that it was originally sung "When you say Bud Carson, you've said it all." Wikipedia says Carson coached through the '71 season so I'd assume it started in '70 or '71.

haha that makes a lot of sense. Bud must've loved that!

Huh, the wikipedia page actually has something on this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Carson

In 1970 the GT Band began playing the Budweiser tune after the end of the 3rd quarter. In tribute to the then head coach the words were actually sung as, "When you say Bud Carson, you've said it all!"

I’ve also heard the Bud Carson origin story anecdotally over the years.

I recall that on our old monochrome scoreboard in the 90s, we’d put up a graphic that said “Buzz is wiser” during the song.

I kinda liked it better before the “Go Georgia Tech” thing caught on, because it was more of a random absurd tradition where we bob along and yell about beer than a cheer, per se.

JRjr

Dont you have any recordings of that on your reel to reel magnetic tape apparatus?

I wore it out from playing it so much. It was your mom's favorite song to play during the seks.

Maybe a little bit of history here could be a good thing.

Way back in the day, it is understood that Dixie was played at the end of the 3rd quarter. Do not know when, or how, this started.

Coach Dodd thought that it should be stopped and made it happen. Please forgive, can not remember when. Seem to remember that it was later in his career. Not sure if when still Head Coach or AD.

Soon after it was stopped, it was replaced with the "Budweiser - You Said it All" thing.

Maybe someone with a better memory, or connections to the band, can fill in the missing items for the time line.

That is all.

THWG!
It wasn't Dodd.
Dixie was still played and proudly sung in 3rd quarter from 1974 to 78
i don't know when it ended.
the Dixie flourish is hard to even notice. I had never noticed until it was pointed out.

Dixie reminds black folks of slavery and the old segregated South- i’m not saying this is right or wrong but seeing as how most of our athletes are black and most of the kids we are recruiting are black there’s a reason why we don’t play it anymore. I don’t think even Ole Miss plays it anymore
It doesn’t even sound like Dixie. Call it the buzz flourish.

No. Not for quite some time. Was a Johnson era change. Not indicting him for being involved. Just a frame of reference
Incorrect. CPJ was already gone. This was more thank likely initiated by the Toad after some of the national events of 2020.

Here is the pregame band walk from Gef's 1st year in 2019. The Dixie riff hits at the :34 mark.

Follow-up:

It disappeared in 2020. Missing at the 2:13 mark here. The "new" version feels a bit clunky compared to the pre-Dixie version from the early 90s and prior.

Back