Dook postgame

Students showed up, north and south, which was good. Like most Covid-era kids, they need some training on how to act in public situations. Don’t start cheers when the team is on offense. Don’t throw öööö on the field (especially not for a Duke game - gotta save that for when it really matters).

Music didn’t seem as painfully loud as previous weeks. I’ve been trying to pay attention to what I hear at road stadiums - we’re way more into hip hop than Cuse or LOLville were this year - a function of Atlanta culture or what?

Much easier getting into the stadium this week - they’ve made some adjustments on the east side that were alleviating some crowding issues.

Didn’t see attendance announced. UW was as empty as I can remember, but UN had some people in it. Seemed like a middling crowd, but enthusiastic by recent standards and mostly stayed until the end.

JRjr

What’s considered poor/fair/good/great for 3rd down conversion rates?

Kind of depends on the offensive style. I’d say 50% is the floor. Maybe not so good for a run heavy team.

As far as the absolute number of third downs out of the total number of snaps, which is typically not discussed, 16/80 probably isn’t too bad. I’d think you would expect to convert two third downs on a good 10 play drive. That would be a lot of conversions on 1st and 2nd. It gets a little worse when you consider we had to convert on three 4th downs.

Fourth down conversions are good/bad news. It is good to convert, but it meant you failed on third down.

Kind of depends on the offensive style. I’d say 50% is the floor. Maybe not so good for a run heavy team.

As far as the absolute number of third downs out of the total number of snaps, which is typically not discussed, 16/80 probably isn’t too bad. I’d think you would expect to convert two third downs on a good 10 play drive. That would be a lot of conversions on 1st and 2nd. It gets a little worse when you consider we had to convert on three 4th downs.

Fourth down conversions are good/bad news. It is good to convert, but it meant you failed on third down.
Depends a lot on how much you trust your defense to make a stop. If you’ve got a Collins or Johnson defense you never want to punt.

Duke has a reputation for playing a low calorie non conf schedule and starting conference play with 3 or 4 soft wins*. So a 5-0 Duke team doesn’t necessarily impress people. And explains why they weren’t ranked, and a 10 pt underdog at 5-0. Wallace Wade is the least intimidating away venue in the ACC; even Wake has a more energetic crowd. Their program is a proving ground for up and coming coaches; Key surely respects Manny Diaz, but he also knows Diaz will move on if he wins at Duke. So fans who’ve followed GT for a while do expect us to just be better than Duke in most years.

* In fairness to Duke they did play ND last year or year before, but that was more of an outlier.
Tldr; version Duke sux

I felt like we had way too many third downs in the game, maybe it was just the second half.

I felt like we had way too many third downs in the game, maybe it was just the second half.
Good eye. We had 16 3rd downs (season high; 15 v L'ville). We only converted 7 of them. Similarly, we had a season high 5 punts.

On the other hand, tho, we had fewer 3rd downs than any P5 Duke opponent. Also, we are the only team to score more than 21 on Duke. So maybe Duke's defense is pretty good. We'll have our answer shortly - their next 3 games are F$U, SMU and Miami.

Remember those games with Thacker where it felt like you did some good things on defense to get a third and long (money down) only to give up long +1 on third or fourth down? And it happened all game and was frustrating…..

This game felt like the offense version of that for the second and third quarters.

Good eye. We had 16 3rd downs (season high; 15 v L'ville). We only converted 7 of them. Similarly, we had a season high 5 punts.

On the other hand, tho, we had fewer 3rd downs than any P5 Duke opponent. Also, we are the only team to score more than 21 on Duke. So maybe Duke's defense is pretty good. We'll have our answer shortly - their next 3 games are F$U, SMU and Miami.
What stood out to me about the Duke D was the open field tackling. Jamal juked some guys but it seemed like if the Duke defender got a hand on the offensive player, the tackle was made. I'm hoping that's a sign of what Santucci is bringing. (And I'd say the signs so far for us have been very encouraging.)

What stood out to me about the Duke D was the open field tackling. Jamal juked some guys but it seemed like if the Duke defender got a hand on the offensive player, the tackle was made. I'm hoping that's a sign of what Santucci is bringing. (And I'd say the signs so far for us have been very encouraging.)
I noticed that as well. Those guys tackle like NFL defenders. I can only assume its residual from Elco/Santucci.

dook got some portal transfers on def also,that seem good.
If they were better players, they would have been more in demand in the portal and would be at Ohio State, Michigan, or SMU right now.

We are 52nd in 3rd Down Conversion at 42.8%. 50% 3rd Down Conversion would currently rank 19th in nation (Oregon).

We are 30th in 3rd Down Conversion vs Power 5 opponents at 43.4%. 50% 3rd Down Conversion vs Power 5 would be 11th in the nation.

Our 3rd Down Conversion has been good except for against Louisville whose D ranks 7th in the nation in Opponent 3rd Down Conversion at 26.98%. Our 2nd worst 3rd Down Conversion game was against VMI oddly enough. Probably because of the backup time.

We are 52nd in 3rd Down Conversion at 42.8%. 50% 3rd Down Conversion would currently rank 19th in nation (Oregon).

We are 30th in 3rd Down Conversion vs Power 5 opponents at 43.4%. 50% 3rd Down Conversion vs Power 5 would be 11th in the nation.

Our 3rd Down Conversion has been good except for against Louisville whose D ranks 7th in the nation in Opponent 3rd Down Conversion at 26.98%. Our 2nd worst 3rd Down Conversion game was against VMI oddly enough. Probably because of the backup time.

Ok, so based on those numbers, good would be 45%. That should be in the top third.

I would imagine run teams stack the top of those rankings as they face more third downs, but those are 3rd and short.

Ok, so based on those numbers, good would be 45%. That should be in the top third.

I would imagine run teams stack the top of those rankings as they face more third downs, but those are 3rd and short.
So far we have faced defenses with the 7th (Louisville), 12th (Duke), and 29th (Syracuse) lowest 3rd Down Conversion Rates and we had the highest 3rd Down Conversion that Duke and Syracuse have allowed all season and 2nd highest against Louisville (only SMU higher). The fact that we have the 30th best 3rd Down Conversion rate against Power 5 opponents shows we are good on 3rd down.

Teams that are good on 3rd down are generally just good offenses whether they are run, pass, or balanced. See the Top 20 below.

1728364182286.png

Back