Dook postgame

Couple thoughts...

Singleton is fast. Finally figured out how to get him more touches.
Still have not given up a sack
Finally got a pick
TV camera work was outstanding
The crowd/stadium looked really good
We have a seriously fast guy on the DL
How is it possible that Miami won

We did give up a sack. Or did they decide that King’s 1 yard loss was a run?

Completion percentage can be deceiving, it should really be weighted against 7 yards per completion. So our adjusted completion percentage would be 74%* 5.4/7 or 57%. That scaling accounts for short passing game.

I made this point last week in @00Burdell’s weird stat thread.

Completion percentage can be deceiving, it should really be weighted against 7 yards per completion. So our adjusted completion percentage would be 74%* 5.4/7 or 57%. That scaling accounts for short passing game.
What's the 5.4?

Critical game changing plays that stood out to me (these were equivalent to a turnover):
  • GT Defensive PI call in the 1st half leading to Duke's only 1st half points.
  • Duke Offensive PI call in the 2nd half killing Duke's drive.
  • Duke RB slipping on the 4th down play inside the red zone.
  • Duke roughing the passer call sustaining the drive for Tech.

3 of 4 were penalties. I really hate penalty calls changing the outcome of a game. It's one of the most annoying things about football (or really any sport). Fortunately 2 of the 3 penalties were against Duke.

There were some crazy plays that went Duke's way (tipped ball reception that would have been likely INT otherwise, ridiculous catch late) and some pivotal zebra flags both ways. In the end, we were the better team and won.

Personally, I feel like Duke's defense is legit. Some ability to get yards but few huge chunks. A lot limited at or behind the LOS. Good combo because you have to stay on schedule and convert 3rd downs to finish drives.

Also it was apparent to me how much our guys needed the bye to rest up. Hopefully we'll be ready for the gauntlet ahead.

Critical game changing plays that stood out to me (these were equivalent to a turnover):

3 of 4 were penalties. I really hate penalty calls changing the outcome of a game. It's one of the most annoying things about football (or really any sport). Fortunately 2 of the 3 penalties were against Duke.
SEC games don't seem to have nearly as many consequential penalty calls over the past 10-20 years. SEC games garner more TV revenue.

But if other teams know, and we fans know, then why the hell does CBF stay with the same play calling sequence? Every idiot that knows the slightest thing about football knows that at some point when the opposing defense stacks the box, then you scheme something up to loosen it up. An intermediate pass play, milk of magnesia, prune juice, ex-lax...or whatever. It's ööööing insanity watching our offensive play calling at times.
Exactly, evidently in those situations we are very predictable so why not mix it up. It seems like some misdirection would work there. You just want to make sure you avoid a 5 yard loss now your 3rd & 8.

3 of those were correct

Forgive my dumbness, what's the 7 then?

Just an arbitrary number for yards per completion to be measured against. You probably want to average more than 4 yards per run and 7 yards per completion in a typical pro offense.

The number could be anything.

Just an arbitrary number for yards per completion to be measured against. You probably want to average more than 4 yards per run and 7 yards per completion in a typical pro offense.

The number could be anything.
Thanks. I see what you're doing. 7yds is a reasonable number, imo. This is like a passO efficiency type datum

It's kinda built into the QBR, that why ours was only 77.something

Thanks. I see what you're doing. 7yds is a reasonable number, imo. This is like a passO efficiency type datum

It's kinda built into the QBR, that why ours was only 77.something

Yeah, I’m just trying to temper the excitement of a 74% completion rating by including the ypc. Nothing scientific.

At the midway point of the season (Bolded items with big change):

4-2 Record (3-3 thru 6 games in 2023)

36th in Scoring Defense (97th in 2023)
32nd in Total Defense (123rd in 2023)

11th in Rushing Defense (113th in 2023)
83rd in Passing Defense (53rd in 2023)​
67th in Yards/Play (117th in 2023)
20th in Yards/Rush (130th in 2023)
91st in Yards/Pass Attempt (88th in 2023)​
107th in Opp. Pass Rating (75th in 2023)
117th in Sacks/Game (111th in 2023)

51st in Scoring Offense (43rd in 2023)
42nd in Total Offense (34th in 2023)
56th in Rushing Offense (13th in 2023)
42nd in Passing Offense (68th in 2023)​
33rd in Yards/Play (27th in 2023)
51st in Yards/Rush (8th in 2023)
28th in Yards/Pass Attempt (52nd in 2023)
26th in Pass Rating (59th in 2023)
2nd in Sacks Allowed/Game (15th in 2023)

63rd in TO Margin (40th in 2023)
122nd in TO Gained (9th in 2023)
122nd in INT Gained (20th in 2023)​
73rd in Fumbles Gained (7th in 2023)​
4th in TO Lost (96th in 2023)
4th in INT Lost (127th in 2023)​
6th in Fumbles Lost (15th in 2023)​

Yeah, I’m just trying to temper the excitement of a 74% completion rating by including the ypc. Nothing scientific.
If you used, in place of 7, the average pass yd/play of the conference or all of CFB, then it would be like a normalized pass completition%

At the midway point of the season (Bolded items with big change):

4-2 Record (3-3 thru 6 games in 2023)

36th in Scoring Defense (97th in 2023)
32nd in Total Defense (123rd in 2023)

11th in Rushing Defense (113th in 2023)
83rd in Passing Defense (53rd in 2023)​
67th in Yards/Play (117th in 2023)
20th in Yards/Rush (130th in 2023)
91st in Yards/Pass Attempt (88th in 2023)​
107th in Opp. Pass Rating (75th in 2023)
117th in Sacks/Game (111th in 2023)

51st in Scoring Offense (43rd in 2023)
42nd in Total Offense (34th in 2023)
56th in Rushing Offense (13th in 2023)
42nd in Passing Offense (68th in 2023)​
33rd in Yards/Play (27th in 2023)
51st in Yards/Rush (8th in 2023)
28th in Yards/Pass Attempt (52nd in 2023)
26th in Pass Rating (59th in 2023)
2nd in Sacks Allowed/Game (15th in 2023)

63rd in TO Margin (40th in 2023)
122nd in TO Gained (9th in 2023)
122nd in INT Gained (20th in 2023)​
73rd in Fumbles Gained (7th in 2023)​
4th in TO Lost (96th in 2023)
4th in INT Lost (127th in 2023)​
6th in Fumbles Lost (15th in 2023)​

Good list, thanks for compiling. I would think that next to last one is worth of bolding as well. King not throwing the INTs he was last year.

Rewatched the condensed game on YT today. Some thoughts...
  • OL did better than I felt like at the end of the game. But only halfway. They were excellent in pass protection, and terrible in drive blocking on the run.
  • Point above makes it all the more head-scratching why we never went deep and relied on so many screens. Dook was stacking close and daring us to go deep more often than not.
  • Isiah Canion has a lot of natural athletic talent, but needs to finish blocks if he wants to keep playing.
  • I love me some Efford, and his attitude is infectious, but Trenilyas Tatum is quietly a bigger difference maker.
  • DL had their best game of the year. If they weren't in the backfield, they were keeping our backers free to hunt.
  • Duke's QB is not very good. Replace him with Cuse's QB and I think we'd have had the same result. We let some guys get open on key plays and were not made to pay for it.
  • Has anyone ever seen Chad Alexander and Dontae Smith in the same room?

Back