Dook postgame

The other thing that was concerning is that our linemen were getting pushed around instead of creating lanes. It’s why our ball carriers were frequently stopped by running into the back of our linemen.
Duke was putting 7, sometimes 8, in the tackle box and alternately blitzing from the edges or up the middle. Daring King to beat them through the air. He did a nice job getting the ball to the edges but couldn’t really hit receivers down fiel. Took what they were giving him, and receivers did a great job picking up yards after catch. If anything I thought the OL needed to hold the pocket a little longer, give another second for longer pass plays to develop. Offense went 3 for 3 on 4th downs and at least one was just pushing the pile forward on a midfield Pyron run. Overall thought OL’s run blocking was good, esp in 4th qtr.

That PIT call on the interception before Duke’s first TD in the 2Q was absolute horse öööö. I took my two kids to the game tonight and that play was directly in front of us. They saw another side of daddy tonight. Lost my voice relentlessly booing til half time.
Good game. Offensive play calling got absurd after our first two drives.

Re: play calling. It felt like we spent the entire game setting up a fake WR screen and then just forgot to run it. They jumped it several times - commentators even highlighted one instance where their DT faked a rush and just ran directly to the spot we were running the screen.

Not sure we even attempted more than 2 throws further than 10 yards down the field.

After watching the game without disruption this morning, I just don’t understand why so many of y’all continue to think GT should have beaten Duke handily before, during, or after the game. The line was 10, GT won by 10.

What have you seen to date that gives ya’ll the impression that GT is so much better than Duke? I saw 2 good teams, and Duke STILL has a very good defense from Elko/Santucci. Manny Diaz has Duke playing solid football. You can talk about their schedule until last night, but with a new staff and 49 new players, Diaz has done a good job in a short period of time. Duke is #2 in the ACC and #23 in the country in Total D PPG 17.5. BC is #1 in the ACC at 17.2 PPG.

GT through 6 games is #5 in the ACC (#36 in the nation) giving up 19.3 PPG, and yet the Game threads act like the D is historically bad. The GT D still has issues, but the improvement overall is DRASTICALLY better than anything we’ve seen for the better part of 15+ years. As a note, GT was #13/14 in the ACC PPG last year giving up 29.5 PPG.

I was happy to see the OL get to back to business and looked more like what GT looked like to finish the season last year, and against what we all know now is a bad FSU team in week 0. The GT OL still hasn’t given up a sack through 6 games. That’s an incredible stat, period. Still seems like the O hasn’t fully figured it out yet this year, but that gives me hope that it will all click soon.

At the midway point of the season (Bolded items with big change):

4-2 Record (3-3 thru 6 games in 2023)

36th in Scoring Defense (97th in 2023)
32nd in Total Defense (123rd in 2023)

11th in Rushing Defense (113th in 2023)
83rd in Passing Defense (53rd in 2023)​
67th in Yards/Play (117th in 2023)
20th in Yards/Rush (130th in 2023)
91st in Yards/Pass Attempt (88th in 2023)​
107th in Opp. Pass Rating (75th in 2023)
117th in Sacks/Game (111th in 2023)

51st in Scoring Offense (43rd in 2023)
42nd in Total Offense (34th in 2023)
56th in Rushing Offense (13th in 2023)
42nd in Passing Offense (68th in 2023)​
33rd in Yards/Play (27th in 2023)
51st in Yards/Rush (8th in 2023)
28th in Yards/Pass Attempt (52nd in 2023)
26th in Pass Rating (59th in 2023)
2nd in Sacks Allowed/Game (15th in 2023)

63rd in TO Margin (40th in 2023)
122nd in TO Gained (9th in 2023)
122nd in INT Gained (20th in 2023)​
73rd in Fumbles Gained (7th in 2023)​
4th in TO Lost (96th in 2023)
4th in INT Lost (127th in 2023)​
6th in Fumbles Lost (15th in 2023)​

It’s crazy that we’re not 6-0 / 5-1 with those defensive numbers and returning almost everybody from the offense we had last season.

After watching the game without disruption this morning, I just don’t understand why so many of y’all continue to think GT should have beaten Duke handily before, during, or after the game. The line was 10, GT won by 10.

What have you seen to date that gives ya’ll the impression that GT is so much better than Duke? I saw 2 good teams, and Duke STILL has a very good defense from Elko/Santucci. Manny Diaz has Duke playing solid football. You can talk about their schedule until last night, but with a new staff and 49 new players, Diaz has done a good job in a short period of time. Duke is #2 in the ACC and #23 in the country in Total D PPG 17.5. BC is #1 in the ACC at 17.2 PPG.

GT through 6 games is #5 in the ACC giving up 19.3 PPG, and yet the Game threads act like the D is historically bad. The GT D still has issues, but the improvement overall is DRASTICALLY better than anything we’ve seen in 10+ years. As a note, GT was #13/14 in the ACC PPG last year giving up 29.5 PPG.

I was happy to see the OL get to back to business and looked more like what GT looked like to finish the season last year, and against what we all know now is a bad FSU team in week 0. The GT OL still hasn’t given up a sack through 6 games. That’s an incredible stat, period. Still seems like the O hasn’t fully figured it out yet this year, but that gives me hope that it will all click soon.

Think most of the frustration was because at one point we were out gaining them by 100+ and losing despite not having turned the ball over. Based one what was happening on the field it felt like we should have been up ~20-0 at half.

Believe espn credited Duke with a 1 yard sack last night.

GT through 6 games is #5 in the ACC giving up 19.3 PPG, and yet the Game threads act like the D is historically bad. The GT D still has issues, but the improvement overall is DRASTICALLY better than anything we’ve seen for the better part of 15+ years. As a note, GT was #13/14 in the ACC PPG last year giving up 29.5 PPG.

Cause Duke sux

Think most of the frustration was because at one point we were out gaining them by 100+ and losing despite not having turned the ball over. Based one what was happening on the field it felt like we should have been up ~20-0 at half.

Believe espn credited Duke with a 1 yard sack last night.
CBK had that fixed last night since it was a Haynes King QB draw. At least that’s what he was saying post game when I watched the replay of ACC Now.

GT through 6 games is #5 in the ACC (#36 in the nation) giving up 19.3 PPG, and yet the Game threads act like the D is historically bad. The GT D still has issues, but the improvement overall is DRASTICALLY better than anything we’ve seen for the better part of 15+ years. As a note, GT was #13/14 in the ACC PPG last year giving up 29.5 PPG.

Duke has a reputation for playing a low calorie non conf schedule and starting conference play with 3 or 4 soft wins*. So a 5-0 Duke team doesn’t necessarily impress people. And explains why they weren’t ranked, and a 10 pt underdog at 5-0. Wallace Wade is the least intimidating away venue in the ACC; even Wake has a more energetic crowd. Their program is a proving ground for up and coming coaches; Key surely respects Manny Diaz, but he also knows Diaz will move on if he wins at Duke. So fans who’ve followed GT for a while do expect us to just be better than Duke in most years.

* In fairness to Duke they did play ND last year or year before, but that was more of an outlier.

At the midway point of the season (Bolded items with big change):

4-2 Record (3-3 thru 6 games in 2023)

36th in Scoring Defense (97th in 2023)
32nd in Total Defense (123rd in 2023)

11th in Rushing Defense (113th in 2023)
83rd in Passing Defense (53rd in 2023)​
67th in Yards/Play (117th in 2023)
20th in Yards/Rush (130th in 2023)
91st in Yards/Pass Attempt (88th in 2023)​
107th in Opp. Pass Rating (75th in 2023)
117th in Sacks/Game (111th in 2023)

51st in Scoring Offense (43rd in 2023)
42nd in Total Offense (34th in 2023)
56th in Rushing Offense (13th in 2023)
42nd in Passing Offense (68th in 2023)​
33rd in Yards/Play (27th in 2023)
51st in Yards/Rush (8th in 2023)
28th in Yards/Pass Attempt (52nd in 2023)
26th in Pass Rating (59th in 2023)
2nd in Sacks Allowed/Game (15th in 2023)

63rd in TO Margin (40th in 2023)
122nd in TO Gained (9th in 2023)
122nd in INT Gained (20th in 2023)​
73rd in Fumbles Gained (7th in 2023)​
4th in TO Lost (96th in 2023)
4th in INT Lost (127th in 2023)​
6th in Fumbles Lost (15th in 2023)​
Great list, thanks for compiling it. I would say that "4th in INT Lost (127th in 2023)" should be highlighted. King has made a successful effort so far to cut down on INT's.

I think the stats also reveal that, for whatever reason, our secondary has taken a step back and our rush defense has taken a sizable step forward. This could be due to scheme change with Santucci, I don't know. Perhaps the defense is more focused on the run vs pass causing the imbalance between rushing and passing defense stats. But it clearly is working to the benefit of the Scoring Defense stat improvement.

FWIW, Syracuse and Louisville are 14th and 15th in the country in Total Offense. They've moved the ball on everyone (including Tech).
Going forward, here's the rankings for the rest of our schedule. Outside of Miami and UNC, the remaining offenses don't look overly intimidating.

TOTAL OFFENSE RANKINGS
  • Miami is 1st
  • UNC is 31st
  • UGA is 54th
  • Notre Dame is 74th
  • Virginia Tech is 82nd
  • NCST is 106th

Great list, thanks for compiling it. I would say that "4th in INT Lost (127th in 2023)" should be highlighted. King has made a successful effort so far to cut down on INT's.

There’s an echo in here!

Good list, thanks for compiling. I would think that next to last one is worth of bolding as well. King not throwing the INTs he was last year.

I think the stats also reveal that, for whatever reason, our secondary has taken a step back and our rush defense has taken a sizable step forward. This could be due to scheme change with Santucci, I don't know. Perhaps the defense is more focused on the run vs pass causing the imbalance between rushing and passing defense stats. But it clearly is working to the benefit of the Scoring Defense stat improvement.

FWIW, Syracuse and Louisville are 14th and 15th in the country in Total Offense. They've moved the ball on everyone (including Tech).
Going forward, here's the rankings for the rest of our schedule. Outside of Miami and UNC, the remaining offenses don't look overly intimidating.

TOTAL OFFENSE RANKINGS
  • Miami is 1st
  • UNC is 31st
  • UGA is 54th
  • Notre Dame is 74th
  • Virginia Tech is 82nd
  • NCST is 106th

Our rushing offense seems to have taken a step back, balanced so far by more efficient passing. But it's worth noting we have been really banged up at RB until the bye week.

Jamal at 100% made an immediate impact yesterday. He added 5 yards to like 5 plays with his jukes, and is the reason our success rate is high on O.

Our rushing offense seems to have taken a step back, balanced so far by more efficient passing. But it's worth noting we have been really banged up at RB until the bye week.

Jamal at 100% made an immediate impact yesterday. He added 3 yards to like 5 plays that most others wouldn't have, and is the reason our success rate is high on O.
Definitely been banged up there. Dontae Smith was a big part of last years production too. Wish we had him for another year.

Your dook fan-club membership card is in the mail and includes a free Manny Diaz bobblehead!

TOTAL OFFENSE RANKINGS
  • Miami is 1st
  • UNC is 31st
  • UGA is 54th
  • Notre Dame is 74th
  • Virginia Tech is 82nd
  • NCST is 106th

We held Lville’s offense to 326 yards, 2.1 ypc and 17 points. They didn’t really move the ball that well on us at all - even with a few long pass plays.

A couple of quick comments:
- We beat a 5-0 University of New Jersey at Durham team that is a pretty good team.
- I can watch the ACC Network in the Virgin Islands, it is absolutely a National broadcast
- I get the WR screens, trying to get the ball to our 2 awesome receivers in space.....just wish we'd try to hit them 30 yards downfield a couple of times a game.
- Jamal was so much faster than the last few games
- Great game from the D

TOTAL OFFENSE RANKINGS
  • Miami is 1st
  • UNC is 31st
  • UGA is 54th
  • Notre Dame is 74th
  • Virginia Tech is 82nd
  • NCST is 106th
Maybe if we could get pressure on the QB, the pass defense will improve. Looks like QBs have all day to throw

For a game we dominated in the first half, I didn't feel very comfortable with a 10-0 lead.
And for reason.
I still submit our margin for error is razor thin. Some of our play-calling and clock management is still beyond puzzling.
Honestly, I was not very impressed with Duke. Murphy seems to be adequate at best as a quarterback.
But give the players a tremendous amount of credit - they came up with a huge drive to answer Duke taking the lead, then hit em with a three and a out and another drive to finish it off. That was a huge 11-minute sequence from their TD to take the lead to the TD to make it a 10-point game again. D was also big after their big KO return to start the second half. Really worried they were going to take the lead right there.
And our PA guy still sucks. He's not going to even try to pronounce some names (he didn't want to touch one of our kids, Ryland Goede, last night after his catch) - even though there is a pronunciation guide in the media packet from both teams at every seat in the press box. Including his. He's had three weeks to practice. I've heard better PA at youth recreation games.
At least we're 4-2 and we get a reeling North Carolina up next. I wonder if we'll have motivation going into that game ....

Back