DRad begging for ticket sales...way behind

Sure are a lot of "big boy decisions" in this thread to not support our team in the biggest bowl in 60+ years.

Fixed your post.

I'm flying from Los Angeles and taking only a day and a half off work. I do get the advantage of a time change on the way back, so that makes it somewhat easier.

Sure are a lot of excuses in this thread to not support our team in the biggest bowl in 60+ years.

Um.....

50722998.jpg

It's a big game...but let's not get carried away....

Is the fact that it's impossible for me to get off work not a valid excuse? Maybe some of it is particular to engineering. We have hard deadlines for our projects and we have to be careful when we take vacation. Don't say I'm not a fan. I've spent thousands of dollars on tickets and travel over the years. I'm just not in a position where I can dictate my schedule.

The Georgia Game has nothing to do with this. If you're still whining over the Georgia game then you don't get it.

Tech fans are too pragmatic; too cheap. They want Tech football to succeed, but they don't want to pay for it.

It is however, unfortunate that the economy sucks and the game is on a mid week evening.

+100000

A sizable amount (not a majority) want us to play big boy college football, but they don't necessarily open their wallet to play big boy college football.

The date of the Orange Bowl really does sucks. I would have preferred playing NW Montana State in the Sugar Bowl because that game is on New Year's Day.

This game is Jan 5, a Tuesday. I don't have the time to take 2 days off of work (maybe 3) to go see this game. Even then, while Tampa was drivable for me, Miami is not. I can't afford air fare.

Exactly. Unless you're a student, retired or self-employed it's hard to make it to this kind of game. You'd have to take 2-3 days off work just to go.

Flights are 49 dollars... Stop complaining about flights... They are very cheap! Man up, go to the game...

Nobody said it wasn't hard to get to this game. And certainly there's going to be real work excuses that get in the way of the game. But generally, Tech fans are TOO pragmatic, as in over the edge pragmatic.

Tech fan: "Let's see the cost of the plane, hotel, tickets equals x. The game is worth y. Factor in difficulties like Tuesday night game...I'm not going, plane tickets are too high."

Lucky for me, I remember 1-10 and I remember the saying "I'd pay a thousand bucks to win the ACC and play in a BCS bowl."

Assuming you can afford/acquire a ticket/plane flight: fly down Tuesday afternoon and fly back earliest as possible Wednesday morning. Screw the hotel if it's too pricey. Bring some food w/ you if you don't want to pay for food.

Sometimes opportunities like this don't come too often. If you can get at least that much time off from work, it'll be worth it. You may be uncomfortable for just less than 24hrs, but it'll be a good memory to last a lifetime

I cannot move a huge meeting for work that is a potential in $1 million+ revenue for the people that make it possible for me to buy all of the other Tech stuff that I purchase this year.

I am sorry that this makes me such a horrible fan.

I would love to go the Orange Bowl, but let's narrow the paintbrush down a bit folks. This Tuesday night BS killed it for a ton of us.

I have a suggestion:

Why don't all you guys who are rolling in the dough, not out of work or taking pay cuts, or just have a large net worth show your Tech spirit by springing for a bunch of tickets for those who scraped the barrel to go to the ACCCG? Many have sacrificed already for the cause, and are now being made out to be non-supportive slime balls for not doing what we legitimately cannot do.

Can you guys get it through your heads? Many of us want to go... we CAN'T.

I have a suggestion:

Why don't all you guys who are rolling in the dough, not out of work or taking pay cuts, or just have a large net worth show your Tech spirit by springing for a bunch of tickets for those who scraped the barrel to go to the ACCCG? Many have sacrificed already for the cause, and are now being made out to be non-supportive slime balls for not doing what we legitimately cannot do.

Exactly. I, like TONS of others, spent money I really didn't have to spend just to go to the ACCCG.

If some crazy great deal pops up, its on like Donkey Kong baby, otherwise after Christmas shopping, HOA fees due, 3 round trip plane tickets to fly to the inlaws for Christmas, etc etc, I seriously have ZERO extra cash to spend right now.

I have a suggestion:

as I said...not saying that everyone is able or should be able to go.

however....we should have ZERO problem selling 17,500 tix if Wake can do it...and their game was on Tuesday, January 3 for $125 a ticket.

I do think people can scrape up $125 for a ticket by cutting out certain items they do not need for a month...alchohol is a good place to start.

1) I know two guys that asked off Tuedsay at work...but expect to be in the office by 9am the next morning. They are driving down to the game...cheering on the Jackets...then driving back all night (taking turns sleeping) to be at work by 9am Wednesday.

2) Not that I recommend this...but I learned today of someone in my community that is an Alabama fan and is cash strapped. They sold their hot tub (spa) to pay for tickets and travel to the Rose Bowl. They said they will buy another one this summer when things loosen up and he can get 12 months no interrest deals.

2) Not that I recommend this...but I learned today of someone in my community that is an Alabama fan and is cash strapped. They sold their hot tub (spa) to pay for tickets and travel to the Rose Bowl. They said they will buy another one this summer when things loosen up and he can get 12 months no interrest deals.

If this was the national championship game our allotment would have sold out a while ago.

can we all agree that hiveredtech is the greatest GT fan of all time?

Let's hear it for hiveredtech!

Funny how this thread represents other arguments we have talking past each other. A few thoughts:

1) The UGA loss matters; maybe not to you but to many. Maybe those who insist that it matters are irrational bad fans and you are the definition of a "good fan", but GT sports future will rise or fall based on the attitudes of that majority. GT will not attract enough "good fans" whose attitude is completely unaffected by the outcome of our rivalry. So we need to beat UGA to placate all of us "bad fans." :-)

2) The middle of the week after many have burned vacation for the holidays absolutely affects attendance. Hang that one on the BCS for spreading games to value TV over attendance. Move all the New Year's Bowls back where they belong.

3) Don't understand the ticket pricing. GT couldn't have paid more for tickets than the OB is selling them to individuals. Drop the price to $95 and see if things improve. Does GTAA expect the sale of crappy seats at $35 over market to subsidize those who got better value seats for $125? Why not sell the tickets at market value depending on location just like the OB does?

4) I'm a bad fan because I care about beating UGA but I am a good fan because I am paying large $$$$ for hotel, car, and airfare to support the team. But I am a bad fan because I am not going to spend all that money and sit in an overpriced crappy seat. I can accept that.

5) Airfare is not the same everywhere. I am paying $350 each for two people, not $50. And that was a good fare with limited seats available. Other options were much more.

6) Students have less excuse for expenses, not more. Cram people into a car and split gas. Put 8 people in a hotel room and draw straws to sleep on the floor. Your young backs can take it and you can eat junk food for a couple of days. This thing is costing me $1500 to $2000 but I could make it work for less than $200 in school, including a $95 ticket.

7) This game matters, big time. We need to win it for next year and to get a few to reconsider their attitude about the ACC and the value of "winning the ACC." We already won the ACC. This game is to determine how much that mattered and to a lesser extent how much it will matter next year.

We had a thread chastising a student for expecting GTAA to subsidize student tickets. But a lot of folks bought tickets for $125 that were priced significantly higher. Who subsidized those people?

The bottom line is fans and alumni of a school with block tickets should get as good or a better deal, if anything, from GTAA than they can get elsewhere.

can we all agree that hiveredtech is the greatest GT fan of all time?

Let's hear it for hiveredtech!

Huzzah! Our fan-dongs are puny and shriveled compared to his giant fan-dong! THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!!!

If our coaches used this many excuses after a loss, you all would be calling for their heads.

Back