DRad begging for ticket sales...way behind

Here's an idea:
Instead of giving schools an allotment of tickets, just give us an interface to ticketmaster that is filtered for one side of the field and one end zone. Then, they can easily track which tickets were sold from each school and yet still give us all the freedom to choose our seats and how much we are willing to pay for better seats. You can even let the schools open it to preferred contributors in advance for some period before they go on general sale.

This is a phenomenal idea, but will never happen as this is the BCS we are talking about. The closest they've gotten to Web 2.0 is a Twitter account that I seriously thought was a joke account until told otherwise.

WHAT?! i would book it right now at that price but i havent found anything under 300.

I think there was a special a while back on Spirit Airlines. There was a thread on it. Right now the prices seem to be hovering around $220 rt.

as I said...not saying that everyone is able or should be able to go.

however....we should have ZERO problem selling 17,500 tix if Wake can do it...and their game was on Tuesday, January 3 for $125 a ticket.

I do think people can scrape up $125 for a ticket by cutting out certain items they do not need for a month...alchohol is a good place to start.

I appreciate that you are trying to get people to go to the game. I'm going - bought tix through GTAA, the wife is flying down on Monday night after work. This will be our 12th game of the year.

BUT - I don't blame anybody that can't make it. Tuesday night sux, and we are just barely going to be able to make it. I asked off for that time 6 weeks ago.

Also - the WF game was on Tuesday Jan 2 2007. So, only 2 days off required, and could more easily schedule a mini-vacation around New Years.

I think the upshot of this discussion is that BCS games should be on 1/1 or 1/2. Being on a weeknight a number of days after 1/1 poses a high cost for people in terms of both travel expenses and vacation time. There is a high cost and we all have a breaking point to see the OB. I doubt the "no excuses" crowd would buy tickets for $1,000. Some might still, but that would be past the breaking point for most.

I also think we'll bring far more than the 9k in the OP. Plenty of Tech fans in Florida and I bet most of them go through ticketmaster instead of the GTAA, especially to save $30 a ticket, the pragmatic bastards we are.

Bull****. If you don't think that game didn't suck a lot of excitement out of the Tech fan base, then you weren't paying attention. No one is whining, just stating the obvious. If you don't like it, don't read it. The point is that D-Rad can't expect phenomenal ticket sales when the team loses our second-to-last game of the season to our rivals at home. No amount of credit card abuse by a few dozen of us here is going to make up for the lack of enthusiasm in the wider fan base. When people's budgets and calendars are already tight, a little less enthusiasm at the end of the season is going to have a larger than normal impact on attendance.

We the ACC Championship and people still bitch about losing to Georgia. I am sometimes embarrassed to be a GT fan. Plain and simple

Tried to buy on line from Tech, did not want to be too high in upper deck. I could not get a seat location before committing to buy the tickets.

GT best friend got us 8 on Row 2 of Upper deck on Tech side of the field, just down from the Tech section.

Somehow our ticket office does things in such a way that many of our fans do better buying from the venue as opposed to buying through Tech. That hurts our listed ticket sales.

I'm going, bought 2 tickets, our group of 3 bought 6 all together, but we're missing out on 3 others b/c of work conflicts.

I can understand people with issues of having to take 3 days off of work, it sucks, as far as bowls go, it's the worst day, but I'll be there :)

We the ACC Championship and people still bitch about losing to Georgia. I am sometimes embarrassed to be a GT fan. Plain and simple

I don't think he is personally bitching (don't know.) Rather it is explaining why the fanbase as a whole might be less excited than if we had beaten UGA. Read Iowa's board and they have a similar situation. They didn't lose to a rival but they lost 2 of 3 games late in the season and excitement is not what would be expected for a BCS game.

P.S.
Since the Wake Forest comparison keeps being repeated, there are two important differences:
1) Different economy.
2) More favorable date.

I have a suggestion:

Why don't all you guys who are rolling in the dough, not out of work or taking pay cuts, or just have a large net worth show your Tech spirit by springing for a bunch of tickets for those who scraped the barrel to go to the ACCCG? Many have sacrificed already for the cause, and are now being made out to be non-supportive slime balls for not doing what we legitimately cannot do.

Can you guys get it through your heads? Many of us want to go... we CAN'T.

There is an option on ramblingwreck.com to donate tickets. I'm not sure where the donated tickets would actually go.

I can't criticize folks not buying through GT since my tickets were bought from the Orange Bowl. (If that is a problem for Tech, then they need to do a better job in their bowl game marketing and assistance to fans wanting tickets, especially those who are not season ticket holders.)

I think the late bowl date is a problem. But, I do hope no one is failing to buy tickets because we lost to UGA. We are going to the Orange Bowl as ACC champions. That is a fantastic accomplishment. The loss to UGA was awful. But, it's over. It would be a shame to let the Dawgs winning keep you away from our first trip to a BCS game since the system was created.

Last year orange bowl tickets were going for $1 on Ebay. Maybe this should be a wakeup call to the NCAA that fans would rather see a game that matters, such as one where the winner would advance and have a real shot at playing for the national title.

There is an option on ramblingwreck.com to donate tickets. I'm not sure where the donated tickets would actually go.

They usually go to Boys Club/Girls Club, YMCA, etc.

or...one way I have done it....is I bought the tickets and had them sent to me...then I forwarded them to a charity of my choice....usually an "orphanage" for lack of a better term.

Back