Duke post game thread

Haven't heard any comment about them yet but it should be a simple fix. I would be willing to bet most anything that DMX512 protocol is what they are using to control the lights. Same thing concert lighting rigs use. It's a fairly simple concept. There are 512 controllable "channels" through 3pin or 5pin cabling. Light fixtures are typically daisy chained together and each is addressed individually within the fixture itself. The system can be controlled by a standalone console or by computer software. My gut says we are using software, and either the computer running the system froze, or the software itself did, and we had to wait on a reboot. We need a simple backup console for the lights that is set to "Full on" for all the lights. If that were to happen again, all you do is unlpug the DMX cable from the PC interface, plug it into the board set to "Full on" and bam, lights are fully on.

EDIT: Better yet, have both systems hooked up through a switch so that if the PC freezes again, flip the switch and you are now controlling it with the board.
Could it have been simply a blown fuse on the control cabinet?

Could it have been simply a blown fuse on the control cabinet?
Unlikely. A blown fuse killing whatever control surface you are using (PC or standalone console) would typically just completely turn the lights off, not freeze them like what we saw happen.

PFF has our OL ranked 123rd out of 127 through week 13:

123. GEORGIA TECH
True freshman quarterback Jeff Sims invites in his fair share of pressure when he shouldn’t, but the offensive line as a whole is doing him no favors. Even when the Yellow Jackets have faced a subpar ACC pass-rush this season, the offensive line has put together a poor performance. All five linemen with at least 100 snaps this season have allowed double-digit pressures, and every single one has a PFF grade below 55.0.

Just watching the games I’d figure we’d be below average, but that far below. Goes to show you I don’t know öööö about football.

giphy.gif

Jeff Sims invites in his fair share of pressure when he shouldn't?

Wtf does that even mean?

Jeff Sims invites in his fair share of pressure when he shouldn't?

Wtf does that even mean?
It means he needs to stop holding the ball so damn long and when he does hold it, to step up INTO the pocket so outside pressure goes behind and past him.

It means he needs to stop holding the ball so damn long and when he does hold it, to step up INTO the pocket so outside pressure goes behind and past him.
And that is exactly what he has been doing. Don't know if you watched the game or not, but we were having some specific OL problems blowing up the pocket. Not calling out any specific players, but there was some pretty bad plays on the OL where the inside was given up quickly.

Unlikely. A blown fuse killing whatever control surface you are using (PC or standalone console) would typically just completely turn the lights off, not freeze them like what we saw happen.
I wasn't watching the game live when the problem occurred but from what I did see it looked like the special lighting sequencing quit working altogether but other lights in the stadium remained on such as when a building loses normal power but the emergency light fixtures stay on to illuminate, at a minimum, egress pathways. I was thinking that a panel with the special lighting control sequencing lost its power due to a blown fuse. I've been wrong before. :-)

I wasn't watching the game live when the problem occurred but from what I did see it looked like the special lighting sequencing quit working altogether but other lights in the stadium remained on such as when a building loses normal power but the emergency light fixtures stay on to illuminate, at a minimum, egress pathways. I was thinking that a panel with the special lighting control sequencing lost its power due to a blown fuse.
No some of the color LED's were still on also. It looked to me like it just froze mid sequence, not stopped and went into emergency lighting. The controlling console/software for this type of lighting is not high-power. Highly doubtful that any fuses blew. This isn't like say an old 48k par 64 rig where each dimming channel needs to manage 1000+ watts.

Back