Duke post game thread

LaFlavor

Flats Noob
The fact is we are a bad to mediocre team. To beat a good team we’d have to play perfect and get breaks.

We should enjoy any win we get at the moment.
Agreed, and I still maintain that the disruptions to normal practice in the spring and fall hurt us more than most teams. We're very young, with freshman starting or contributing at many key positions. The lack of full-squad practice is going to be more apparent for true and redshirt freshman than it is for 5th year seniors.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Its the rectangular ones underneath that do the color.

EDIT: BTW those small rectangular ones give off PLENTY of color to wash the stadium and still have enough lighting. They could also keep just a few of the main lights on if they were concerned about not enough light for safety.

That photo might be a little misleading, as it appears to be a bit of a long exposure (you can see a few headlight/taillight streaks on the Connector and North Ave.). The colored lights didn't seem particularly bright at the game, but it's hard to judge because no lighting condition persisted for very long - it always seemed like short flashes.

JRjr

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
Actually there's a guy on Tweeter noting that the same Barbadan company that is a minority co-owner of the old Dominion software (maybe the Venezuelans, maybe not, too much secrecy to know for sure) is also an investor in the system that controls these lights. Obviously our lights are not a matter of national political interest but I think he was suggesting that they might've interfered in our lighting system as a sort of 'test run' on disrupting a larger political event, or maybe giving their hackers some practice for the Senate run-off in January.
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
That photo might be a little misleading, as it appears to be a bit of a long exposure (you can see a few headlight/taillight streaks on the Connector and North Ave.). The colored lights didn't seem particularly bright at the game, but it's hard to judge because no lighting condition persisted for very long - it always seemed like short flashes.

JRjr

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I went to the game, a few things:

1) they announced starters before the game (not ATL) and it was very well done. Each starter had a large picture on the big board with some cool graphics.

2) I have no problem and actually like the music used during warmups.

3) The entrance and light show was great. It really worked well at night, in the dark. I like the traditional entrance but that isn't allowed with COVID and this was great as is.

4) I understand others want the field to look clean but basically it looked like a grass field with the faded colors. Still looks better than the field did late in the season most years. Didn't bother me live or on TV.

5) I'm fine with money down and think it could be something positive once we have a good defense; in the first half they only used it about half the time. I like changing it up that way. It was extremely stupid to use money down in the last 5 minutes of the game when both teams were just running out the clock.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
3) The entrance and light show was great. It really worked well at night, in the dark. I like the traditional entrance but that isn't allowed with COVID and this was great as is.
The entrance was as close to the way it used to be this week as it has been - the team came out not long after the Wreck this week, for some reason.

JRjr

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Haven't heard any comment about them yet but it should be a simple fix. I would be willing to bet most anything that DMX512 protocol is what they are using to control the lights. Same thing concert lighting rigs use. It's a fairly simple concept. There are 512 controllable "channels" through 3pin or 5pin cabling. Light fixtures are typically daisy chained together and each is addressed individually within the fixture itself. The system can be controlled by a standalone console or by computer software. My gut says we are using software, and either the computer running the system froze, or the software itself did, and we had to wait on a reboot. We need a simple backup console for the lights that is set to "Full on" for all the lights. If that were to happen again, all you do is unlpug the DMX cable from the PC interface, plug it into the board set to "Full on" and bam, lights are fully on.

EDIT: Better yet, have both systems hooked up through a switch so that if the PC freezes again, flip the switch and you are now controlling it with the board.
Nerd...

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I'm usually pretty level, but your avatar makes me miserable.

I won't tell you what to change it to, but this is an example of an improvement.

1606861239605.png
She can complain to my manager whenever she wants.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Haven't heard any comment about them yet but it should be a simple fix. I would be willing to bet most anything that DMX512 protocol is what they are using to control the lights. Same thing concert lighting rigs use. It's a fairly simple concept. There are 512 controllable "channels" through 3pin or 5pin cabling. Light fixtures are typically daisy chained together and each is addressed individually within the fixture itself. The system can be controlled by a standalone console or by computer software. My gut says we are using software, and either the computer running the system froze, or the software itself did, and we had to wait on a reboot. We need a simple backup console for the lights that is set to "Full on" for all the lights. If that were to happen again, all you do is unlpug the DMX cable from the PC interface, plug it into the board set to "Full on" and bam, lights are fully on.

EDIT: Better yet, have both systems hooked up through a switch so that if the PC freezes again, flip the switch and you are now controlling it with the board.
O
I'm usually pretty level, but your avatar makes me miserable.

I won't tell you what to change it to, but this is an example of an improvement.

1606861239605.png
Anyone know who this is?