Duke post game thread

I'm still waiting to see us flood the stadium with a color. Our LED's are multi color plus using solid colors on video boards we can light the stadium in any color we want. I don't know why we haven't done this any yet. Or change the light show up to incorporate some color washes into it instead of just flashing all the colors.

Probably gonna save this for when a whole crowd can enjoy it. On the other hand we know from last Saturday that there could be kinks in the system!

Probably gonna save this for when a whole crowd can enjoy it. On the other hand we know from last Saturday that there could be kinks in the system!
Has Stansbury made a comment on the lighting incident yet? We got a half of lightshow then either fear to use it again or it was broke and overridden. I'd be interested to know if we have a fix. I like the lightshow.

Fwiw, I like the field too. However, maybe we should have opted for permanently colored field markings and endzones like UNC did. I realize we chose non permanent because of the potential to host other events, I suppose

Has Stansbury made a comment on the lighting incident yet? We got a half of lightshow then either fear to use it again or it was broke and overridden. I'd be interested to know if we have a fix. I like the lightshow.

Fwiw, I like the field too. However, maybe we should have opted for permanently colored field markings and endzones like UNC did. I realize we chose non permanent because of the potential to host other events, I suppose
Or to change the color right? White out=white end zones and white GT midfield.

Haven't heard any comment about them yet but it should be a simple fix. I would be willing to bet most anything that DMX512 protocol is what they are using to control the lights. Same thing concert lighting rigs use. It's a fairly simple concept. There are 512 controllable "channels" through 3pin or 5pin cabling. Light fixtures are typically daisy chained together and each is addressed individually within the fixture itself. The system can be controlled by a standalone console or by computer software. My gut says we are using software, and either the computer running the system froze, or the software itself did, and we had to wait on a reboot. We need a simple backup console for the lights that is set to "Full on" for all the lights. If that were to happen again, all you do is unlpug the DMX cable from the PC interface, plug it into the board set to "Full on" and bam, lights are fully on.

EDIT: Better yet, have both systems hooked up through a switch so that if the PC freezes again, flip the switch and you are now controlling it with the board.

I like miserable fans that complain about how the field looked or the light show after a blowout win.

They let me know I am on Stingtalk.
I think it is more the fact that GT is an engineering school with a long history of technical snafus on our video board, sound system, and now light show

I think it is more the fact that GT is an engineering school with a long history of technical snafus on our video board, sound system, and now light show
This. I like the lights and think they are pretty cool. Everybody will have them in 5 years.

It is also a very "georgia tech" thing for them to screw up in the middle of a game.

I like miserable fans that complain about how the field looked or the light show after a blowout win.

Why are those things even related to you? We’re all happy for the win. (Some of us recognize that we’re not going to win with that performance against a good team, but thankfully we were playing Duke.)

That doesn’t change the fact that the field looked bad and the lights are a work in progress. Can we only discuss stuff like that if we lose? This is a message board for discussion. We can talk about the game and the field and a lot of other things besides, all at the same time!

JRjr

I'm still waiting to see us flood the stadium with a color. Our LED's are multi color plus using solid colors on video boards we can light the stadium in any color we want. I don't know why we haven't done this any yet. Or change the light show up to incorporate some color washes into it instead of just flashing all the colors.

Are the main lights multi-color? I noticed this week that the color seemed to be limited to the smaller rectangular lights below the big white field lights.

JRjr

Haven't heard any comment about them yet but it should be a simple fix. I would be willing to bet most anything that DMX512 protocol is what they are using to control the lights. Same thing concert lighting rigs use. It's a fairly simple concept. There are 512 controllable "channels" through 3pin or 5pin cabling. Light fixtures are typically daisy chained together and each is addressed individually within the fixture itself. The system can be controlled by a standalone console or by computer software. My gut says we are using software, and either the computer running the system froze, or the software itself did, and we had to wait on a reboot. We need a simple backup console for the lights that is set to "Full on" for all the lights. If that were to happen again, all you do is unlpug the DMX cable from the PC interface, plug it into the board set to "Full on" and bam, lights are fully on.

EDIT: Better yet, have both systems hooked up through a switch so that if the PC freezes again, flip the switch and you are now controlling it with the board.
Actually there's a guy on Tweeter noting that the same Barbadan company that is a minority co-owner of the old Dominion software (maybe the Venezuelans, maybe not, too much secrecy to know for sure) is also an investor in the system that controls these lights. Obviously our lights are not a matter of national political interest but I think he was suggesting that they might've interfered in our lighting system as a sort of 'test run' on disrupting a larger political event, or maybe giving their hackers some practice for the Senate run-off in January.

Are the main lights multi-color? I noticed this week that the color seemed to be limited to the smaller rectangular lights below the big white field lights.

JRjr
Its the rectangular ones underneath that do the color.

EDIT: BTW those small rectangular ones give off PLENTY of color to wash the stadium and still have enough lighting. They could also keep just a few of the main lights on if they were concerned about not enough light for safety.

BDS-in-Blue_040920_DK-39-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Actually there's a guy on Tweeter noting that the same Barbadan company that is a minority co-owner of the old Dominion software (maybe the Venezuelans, maybe not, too much secrecy to know for sure) is also an investor in the system that controls these lights. Obviously our lights are not a matter of national political interest but I think he was suggesting that they might've interfered in our lighting system as a sort of 'test run' on disrupting a larger political event, or maybe giving their hackers some practice for the Senate run-off in January.
Change your tin foil

Facilities should use you as a consultant.

@sthorfinnr has hacked your account.

All we want is to just have nice things.

Why are those things even related to you? We’re all happy for the win. (Some of us recognize that we’re not going to win with that performance against a good team, but thankfully we were playing Duke.)

That doesn’t change the fact that the field looked bad and the lights are a work in progress. Can we only discuss stuff like that if we lose? This is a message board for discussion. We can talk about the game and the field and a lot of other things besides, all at the same time!

JRjr

The fact is we are a bad to mediocre team. To beat a good team we’d have to play perfect and get breaks.

We should enjoy any win we get at the moment.

Back