Duke post game thread

When in doubt, let it go. It is 10 yards difference between going out of the endzone and going out of bounds. As it ended up, it cost us 34 yards.

He should know, by this point, that our luck doesn't run like that.
I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt on that play, but yeah, getting the ball gratis on at least the 25 is something we should make more use of given our track record of returning kicks.

Did our true freshman RT not play?

Pretty glaring weaknesses showing from some of our OL...and we still scored 56.

I think we could end up being pretty damn good sooner rather than later if the OL recruits are up to snuff.

Did our true freshman RT not play?

Pretty glaring weaknesses showing from some of our OL...and we still scored 56.

I think we could end up being pretty damn good sooner rather than later if the OL recruits are up to snuff.
He played but Charlie Clark started and got more snaps I think.

Hopefully that's a joke. The turf aesthetic is one thing, playability something else. Turf would have a lot more to do with joint/ortho injuries than soft tissue. And especially considering we were coming off a 4-week layoff, I'm sure that soft tissue injuries were already a concern among staff regardless of playing surface.
I really just think it looks bad. I understand we are poor and can't afford grass though.

Gibbs shouldn’t play another snap this season. He has done everything for the team and himself already this season. Rest the hammy, hit the drills and weight room, and be ready when the games matter.
1606779670354.gif

We came close to witnessing something I expect never happened in college football (or maybe any other level of football before) - that is safeties on two consecutive plays. If we aren't playing the pukes, then the refs call a second safety. I have seen some strange stuff in Tech games. I think it was 1998 when in five straight game we sacked the QB causing a fumble that we returned for a TD. I think we did it two other times that same season. I think I remember that we went 1000 KO without having one returned for a TD (from the early 60's until Clemson finally broke the streak in the late 80's). Seems like the number of fumbles we recovered in the 1st qtr against Pitt in 2014 was an NCAA record (4 I think??). Wasn't Taylor Bennet one of only two QB's to throw a TD pass on his first collegiate attempt? Consecutive safeties would have been the strangest.

One other observation. We need to move the uga game away from the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It was obvious this last weekend that we play like crap two days after Thanksgiving and they looked like an NFL team.

The crowd was small but enthusiastic, at least in upper east. . . . But you can really hear the angry loudmouths in the smaller crowd - there are a couple of dudes that sit near me that just bitch about everything non-stop. Every call is not bogus, and every play is not something to be livid about.

JRjr
What section were you in? I was in 224 just above the tunnel and was somewhat taken aback by the boisterous kvetching.

What section were you in? I was in 224 just above the tunnel and was somewhat taken aback by the boisterous kvetching.

You must have been right near me, I’m in 224 row 16 a few seats down from the tunnel. There was a guy a few rows behind me that yelled about how everything and everybody sucked for a lot of the game. Not, like, violently, just kind of more than was warranted.

JRjr

You must have been right near me, I’m in 224 row 16 a few seats down from the tunnel. There was a guy a few rows behind me that yelled about how everything and everybody sucked for a lot of the game. Not, like, violently, just kind of more than was warranted.

JRjr
I have no idea what is going on in people's lives that they feel the need to be like that. It did annoy me during the Clemson game that one of the young GT fans behind me just fawned about how great Clemson is to a Clemson fan.

JRjr
Row 16 as well on the 225 end. Rowdy area.

When in doubt, let it go. It is 10 yards difference between going out of the endzone and going out of bounds. As it ended up, it cost us 34 yards.

He should know, by this point, that our luck doesn't run like that.
I think the problem there is when you are that short of the endzone, you have to worry that the ball could die and be live inbounds. Then you have no choice but to pick it up. His best bet would've been call for fair catch and also try to catch it out of bounds. That way you only have 2 options. Take it at the 25 or take it at the 35. He didn't get his foot down out of bounds so we would've taken it at the 25.

I really just think it looks bad. I understand we are poor and can't afford grass though.
It looked bad because it wasn't re-painted for whatever reason. I figured it's probably budget cuts and they had already allotted money to re-paint the field x times this year. It was repainted the week of November 14 for the Pitt game that never got played. So they probably only have the paint/budget to paint it once more. I would imagine they had to pick a game for the fresh paint and decided to save that for the last home game, now the Pitt game.

As far as the lights go and budget @cbee, the lights were already budgeted, paid for, and I believe installed prior to all the Covid mess. I think installation may have gotten a little hold up during all the Covid stuff, but they were supposed to already be installed and working for the Spring game.

For those that were there were the lights down when the team and the wreck came onto the field? I keep seeing cool pics.

For those that were there were the lights down when the team and the wreck came onto the field? I keep seeing cool pics.

I'm still waiting to see us flood the stadium with a color. Our LED's are multi color plus using solid colors on video boards we can light the stadium in any color we want. I don't know why we haven't done this any yet. Or change the light show up to incorporate some color washes into it instead of just flashing all the colors.

Back