Duke post game thread

Not true.

If he has a foot out of bounds and catches it with the other in the field of play he is out of bounds and the ball is out of bounds.

Find a replay and lets look at it.
I concede the point that if the ball was going to land an inch inbounds and he catches it at chest height, and he knows he has one foot out of bounds, that it could guarantee the ball at the 35 instead of only ending up at the 35 90% of the time like if he let it continue on its flight path, or let it bounce out of bounds.

Let me know if you find the replay. I can't find one.

wat

If he's out of bounds then just don't catch it.

You say he was coached to do that ... why? I have never in my entire life seen anyone on any team in any game ever do that.
I have seen it done in the NFL. They make it look easy. Turns out it's not that easy.

I concede the point that if the ball was going to land an inch inbounds and he catches it at chest height, and he knows he has one foot out of bounds, that it could guarantee the ball at the 35 instead of only ending up at the 35 90% of the time like if he let it continue on its flight path, or let it bounce out of bounds.

I can't either. They cut it (and the near safety) out of the ACC condensed game on youtube.

I don't think he made a great play. He found himself too close to the sideline and at that point he made a split second decision to try to make a play. I'm impressed that he knew the rule and tried to salvage it. It wasn't a great play but I'm not onboard with the "ThE CoaCHes DOn't CoAch" screaming over the play.

I can't either. They cut it (and the near safety) out of the ACC condensed game on youtube.

I don't think he made a great play. He found himself too close to the sideline and at that point he made a split second decision to try to make a play. I'm impressed that he knew the rule and tried to salvage it. It wasn't a great play but I'm not onboard with the "ThE CoaCHes DOn't CoAch" screaming over the play.
Yeah, I would have him let the ball bounce and hopefully go out of bounds on its own.

That's what happened in other Duke kickoffs. They kept kicking close to the sidelines. Ball on 35 yard line is not that bad to be honest. Didn't it use to be 40 yard line for this? If should be at least 40 or worse.

Yeah, I would have him let the ball bounce and hopefully go out of bounds on its own.

That's what happened in other Duke kickoffs. They kept kicking close to the sidelines. Ball on 35 yard line is not that bad to be honest. Didn't it use to be 40 yard line for this? If should be at least 40 or worse.

It's been the 35 for quite a while, I think. It's weird that they kept kicking it out of bounds - our kick return game doesn't seem particularly scary.

JRjr

I know NFL used to be the 40, but they moved kickoffs from the 30 to 35 like 10 years ago which moved it back to the 35. The penalty is 30 yds from kickoff spot. I think it is the same in college.

Is backpedaling to catch a punt ever a good idea? I think if you have to backpedal, especially at the last moment, you should be coached to just let it go. The risk of a muff isn't worth the field position.

I'd have taken my chances with letting it hit. I don't get how it helped. Sure, you can gain 10 yards, but the reward doesn't outweigh the risk.

At the risk of being called a whiner, while I enjoyed getting a resounding W over Duke, there was enough sloppiness in this game to cause some concern. Hopefully most of it's attributable to coming off the long break, but we made some pretty major blunders that we wouldn't be able to overcome against a competent opponent. It was one of the sloppiest games I can remember from both teams.

I was surprised to see us lean so heavily on the run. Clearly RB is a position of strength for us, and Duke's run D isn't great, but that hasn't stopped us from trying to force a passing game for the last season and a half. We had some very nice runs, but the OL still seemed like a mixed bag to me. We also had some runs get stuffed, and several times where Sims bailed us out with his feet after the blocking failed around him. We still had a couple of head-scratching playcalls, like the shift-into-wildcat that never had a chance.

The whole thing with the stadium lights was annoying. I guess they're computer controlled, and it seemed like we had to reboot the computer to get them back on (it wasn't just a "turn them off and back on again" fix). The number of AV snafus we encounter every season is embarrassing considering our "brand" as a high-tech school.

I'm not sure whose idea it was to have a couple of kids (Collins' kids, maybe?) lead a YELLOW JACKETS chant on the jumbotron, but that was one of the worst things I've ever seen in BDS (up there with playing "A Thousand Miles" during the UVA game). At least put a GT shirt on the boy, and not some black and gold "Knights" shirt. C'mon, man.

I really don't like our PA announcer. In particular, somebody needs to talk to him about his terrible cadence on "And that's ANOTHER first and ten" or whatever. It's not a great call. He had another mic gaffe late in the game, too, where he called the down and distance wrong and then said something like "oh..." or "oops..." when he realized the mistake.

I don't know if the officiating was actually BAD, but it was certainly frustrating. Confusion among the refs, some odd calls, and some stuff that wasn't communicated very clearly to the crowd, like whatever happened with the running into the kicker penalty on one of our punts.

The crowd was small but enthusiastic, at least in upper east. The club seats looked badly vacant early on (I watched part of the replay on ESPN). But you can really hear the angry loudmouths in the smaller crowd - there are a couple of dudes that sit near me that just bitch about everything non-stop. Every call is not bogus, and every play is not something to be livid about.

JRjr

Not true.

If he has a foot out of bounds and catches it with the other in the field of play he is out of bounds and the ball is out of bounds.

Find a replay and lets look at it.
I've just looked at the replay, and this is what it shows:

He caught the ball with his left foot in bounds, then his right foot came down out-of-bounds. Therefore, unless he called for a fair catch (which he didn't), he took the ball out-of-bounds at the four yard line, which is where the refs correctly marked the ball.

The ball looked to me like it would probably have hit out-of-bounds on the fly had he not caught it.

I've just looked at the replay, and this is what it shows:

He caught the ball with his left foot in bounds, then his right foot came down out-of-bounds. Therefore, unless he called for a fair catch (which he didn't), he took the ball out-of-bounds at the four yard line, which is where the refs correctly marked the ball.

The ball looked to me like it would probably have hit out-of-bounds on the fly had he not caught it.
That's what I see watching it on DVR. It would have been a good play if his right foot was out when he caught it. Smith just couldn't get his foot down before the ball got to him. I agree that he should have just let it go.

How TF can that Miley Cyrus song beat out the Foo Fighters "Heroes" in fan vote when we are honoring heroes? What is wrong with you people?

I cannot believe we don't have a fail safe system on the light show to have it switch to lights on pretty easily. Needs fixed ASAP. It was a cool thing until it was embarrassing.

Also, the interactive thing with your phone started with about 30 seconds before the start of the 4th quarter

How TF can that Miley Cyrus song beat out the Foo Fighters "Heroes" in fan vote when we are honoring heroes? What is wrong with you people?

I cannot believe we don't have a fail safe system on the light show to have it switch to lights on pretty easily. Needs fixed ASAP. It was a cool thing until it was embarrassing.

Also, the interactive thing with your phone started with about 30 seconds before the start of the 4th quarter
Ironic that a world class engineering school can't get the lights right. And amid all the budget concerns, does anyone know what was spent on the lighting system?

I guess it’s a coaching thing or a philosophy thing. What I learned, I think during the O’Leary days, was that a common approach is to put your heels on the 10 and if it’s over your head, let it go. Maybe you occasionally get pinned deep by a real good/lucky punter, but mostly you’ll get touchbacks and avoid game-changing mistakes. It seems like a good rule of thumb to me.

I was really hoping the officials would call a safety against Duke, just for the novelty of seeing a safety occur on the kickoff following a safety, which can’t have ever occurred before. I’m curious why the fair catch wasn’t accepted - too late to signal it, or the refs missed it, or something else (can’t fair catch a ball that’s on the ground?). I’m also puzzled why it wasn’t a safety - it looked like he fielded the ball on the 1 and gave ground into the end zone before we ever touched him. Karma balanced things out for us, at least.

JRjr

He couldn’t do a fair catch because the ball had already hit the ground. Once he picked up the ball, the play was dead as it couldn’t be advanced (forwards or backwards).

I remember the slo-mo replay when I watched it in real time. It showed him catching the ball with his left foot on the ground inbounds. A split second later, his right foot lands out of bounds. It was in the air during the catch.

He couldn’t do a fair catch because the ball had already hit the ground. Once he picked up the ball, the play was dead as it couldn’t be advanced (forwards or backwards).

Why couldn’t he advance the ball after he picked it up?

JRjr

Yeah, he seemed to know the rule - he just got the wrong foot down first. And it would have been hard for him to know whether the ball was coming down out-of-bounds. I think it probably would have, but it's still not completely certain on the slo-mo replay. Not a play you practice every day...

Back