Duke post game thread

Yeah, he seemed to know the rule - he just got the wrong foot down first. And it would have been hard for him to know whether the ball was coming down out-of-bounds. I think it probably would have, but it's still not completely certain on the slo-mo replay. Not a play you practice every day...

Even then, I think it's enough that he learned and made the right move the next time around.

I'm a bit surprised we're not talking more about Gibbs hamstring injury in this thread or another dedicated one. A hammy is no easy thing to recover from at this point in the season, and he was clearly upset about it. Given our record and the time of year, I'm afraid our most talented player might spend the rest of the year rehabbing. Any more definitive news on how bad it was?

I'm a bit surprised we're not talking more about Gibbs hamstring injury in this thread or another dedicated one. A hammy is no easy thing to recover from at this point in the season, and he was clearly upset about it. Given our record and the time of year, I'm afraid our most talented player might spend the rest of the year rehabbing. Any more definitive news on how bad it was?
A hammy with three games to go? I'm thinking he'll take the rest of the season off and hopefully be ready on opening day kickoff next year. You don't want to come back too soon from that particular type of injury.

Y’all are mixing up two different kick off returns. The fair catch return by Duke and the out of bounds catch by Tech.

I believe Cincy and I are both talking about Duke fielding the kickoff after the safety.

I think we’ve established that you can’t fair catch a kickoff after it bounces.

The free kick after a safety can be advanced, so the announcer must have either thought the fair catch was valid or misunderstood the rule.

Which brings us back to the question of whether there was really “forward progress” to avoid the safety, which seems like “no” to me based on the in-stadium replays.

JRjr

Yeah, he seemed to know the rule - he just got the wrong foot down first. And it would have been hard for him to know whether the ball was coming down out-of-bounds. I think it probably would have, but it's still not completely certain on the slo-mo replay. Not a play you practice every day...
When in doubt, let it go. It is 10 yards difference between going out of the endzone and going out of bounds. As it ended up, it cost us 34 yards.

He should know, by this point, that our luck doesn't run like that.

On the GT KR out of bounds play. I’m 90% sure he did it on purpose but meant to have a foot out of bounds. Coach Choice, who is coaching the returners, shook his fist like great play and went over quickly to congratulate Smith. Smith just messed up his footwork and didn’t get his foot down as soon as he needed.

I do think it is a smart play but maybe it is too complex of a situation to try.

Last edited:
That ball still had a ton of momentum. If he lets it go- worst case we get it on the 25. If it continues OOB- best case we get it on the 35. He took a shot at a very small chance of something that at best still gets us to the 35- but at worst puts us on the 4. They should be coached to let it go and not try to pull off a random Randall Cobb crazy thing that rarely happens.
Yep, you just don't field it if it looks like it will go out of bounds. Our guys don't do a lot of kick returns right. Any kick in bounds thats going to land near the goal line should be fair caught to get the touchback to the 25 but we will usually return them to about the 17 or so. I blame that on the special teams coaching.

Sounds like it is nothing very serious, long-term though I'd be pretty surprised if he plays this week. And they might go extra-cautious and not play him the rest of the year. But it is nothing that will hang around long-term.

Gibbs hammy could be a pull or a tear. If its a pull he could be back in a couple of weeks maybe but if its a tear, no way. It will take 6 months to be normal. I tore my hammy running down the first base line in softball many years ago and I literally thought someone had shot me in the leg. There was a "pop" sound and I hit the ground. The next day my leg in the area was black and blue.

you can really hear the angry loudmouths in the smaller crowd - there are a couple of dudes that sit near me that just bitch about everything non-stop. Every call is not bogus, and every play is not something to be livid about.

JRjr
There is a large, loud, subset of Tech fans that love to find the negative side of everything

I blame our awful turf for Gibbs
Hopefully that's a joke. The turf aesthetic is one thing, playability something else. Turf would have a lot more to do with joint/ortho injuries than soft tissue. And especially considering we were coming off a 4-week layoff, I'm sure that soft tissue injuries were already a concern among staff regardless of playing surface.

He pulled his hamstring because he was already going 100% and decided to go faster. You could tell.

He pulled his hamstring because he was already going 100% and decided to go faster. You could tell.
Most folks didn't even notice that the turf actually caught fire behind him. Too focused on Gibbs being down than noticing the fire trucks

must-go-faster-gif.gif

Back