Duke post game thread

What a crazy game, lotta mistakes on both sides of the ball and by both teams. But at least we're finally scoring points and our tailbacks all look great. Given how horrible we've looked this year, kinda crazy to think we could still theoretically end up with a winning season and bowl invite. I'm certainly not optimistic about that, but it's possible. And to even have that as a possibility after Thanksgiving is fun.

Gibbs is the only freshman in a Power Five conference since 2003 to have at least 350 yards, 250 receiving yards and 200 kickoff return yards in his team’s first seven games — a stat line made all the more impressive by the fact that Gibbs didn’t play in the season opener against Florida State and thus racked up that yardage while playing in six of the seven games.

Fun game, and hopefully the beginning of one of the foundational things that needs to happen if Collins is going to be successful: beat the crap out of Duke every year.

Clearly the extra time between games benefited them although the two major issues with the team's play this year still haven't been completely corrected. Sims' ball security, particularly on the read option plays tonight, wasn't what it needs to be. And special teams had mental errors although we can take some solace in the team being perfect/error free on PAT's. That's progress at least.

Maybe it's just me, but those read-option mesh issues looked more like a Donte Smith problem than a Sims problem.

Winning is great. Had a good time watching it. Some big plays from several guys that inspire confidence despite some miscues elsewhere. Hope we kick the öööö out of NC State next. That'd be big.

Can someone please explain to me why the field looked like öööö?
Looks like it was painted before ND and then just left alone. The yard line numbering, sidelines, logos, were all smeared around.

Perhaps we should have opted for the permanent field color, like UNC.

I really like how aggressive our DBs are at the line now. We don’t frequently give away high percentage throws for short yardage and then whatever 1v1 YAC they can manage. That was one of the most aggravating things to me under the last staff and it seemingly didn’t matter who the DC was even as we had some pretty good CBs at times. Live by the sword, die by the sword and Bryce was largely unable to make us pay either due to being uncomfortable in the pocket or inaccuracy. I can only imagine we get better at this approach as time goes by and am excited for what it could be.

Wish it wasn't on ESPN3 outside of the Atlanta market, because it would've been a decent game for recruits to see.
The game was on MSN up here in the DC area so I think a lot of markets outside ATL may have picked it up locally.

Back