ESPN Article on our Program Direction

Ah yes, the 5 wide pass blocking rpo that Sean Jones ran in 1990... how could I forget?
Apparently your memory sucks. I remember a hell of a lot of option, play actions, 4 wide receiver sets, I-back formations, and even a wishbone formation or two during that season. I know that it makes you mad that you don't get to shove your nose in Paul Johnson's taint daily anymore but might I suggest some Midol to relieve those bloated feelings you're having?

This whole honeymoon period is making me sick. This isn't a transition from a boner of a coach like Gailey. CPJ and his era deserve respect and ESPN (whom stingtalk regularly makes fun of) hated CPJ, trying to make it look like football was never played at GT pre-collins.

Collins loves to bring up the season he coached at tech (seasons?) 2006. They went 9-5 losing the last three games.

Which catapulted CPJ to have 20 wins his first 2 seasons! You are the only one who seem to think CPJ is not getting respect.

Last edited:
I think it was as good of a hire as Tech could do. I'm glad GT got him. He won't pull recruits away from us or Bama, but Collins will cost our weaker opponents like Florida, Tennessee and Auburn.
Why does every Georgia Tech man want to date a UGA girl?
Because she'll never expect a ring!

Apparently your memory sucks. I remember a hell of a lot of option, play actions, 4 wide receiver sets, I-back formations, and even a wishbone formation or two during that season. I know that it makes you mad that you don't get to shove your nose in Paul Johnson's taint daily anymore but might I suggest some Midol to relieve those bloated feelings you're having?

Well I wasn't alive then, but the offense you describe literally sounds nothing like what Collins is going to do.

Don't think I am saying it was a failure of a hire, or that he will fail, or that I don't like it, etc. This is about the media trying to erase the CPJ era.

Fwiw, beyond what I've said about him, I like the hire and support my team 100%

Well I wasn't alive then, but the offense you describe literally sounds nothing like what Collins is going to do.

Don't think I am saying it was a failure of a hire, or that he will fail, or that I don't like it, etc. This is about the media trying to erase the CPJ era.

I think you're going to see that the offense is much more like that than you think. Collins has already said that we will be in 2-back sets, 1 back sets, spreads and some option as well.

And nobody is trying to 'erase the CPJ era' but if you cannot tell that there is a change in perception of the program by the national and local media, as well as recruits, then your eyes are closed. Johnson was an effective coach for us at times and fielded very poor teams at times. He is gone; time to move on.

CPJ was a very good coach for GT, but man, I was ready to move on. If he is here 11 years, I’ll probably be tired of CGC. Heck, I was talking with an Alabama guy recently and he is getting tired of Saban.

CPJ was a very good coach for GT, but man, I was ready to move on. If he is here 11 years, I’ll probably be tired of CGC. Heck, I was talking with an Alabama guy recently and he is getting tired of Saban.
Should have leaned in real close and whispered ‘Mike Shula’ in his ear and see what happened.

So you’re young and stupid

Who cares what the media is doing. I would bet Paul doesn’t.

3F131672-1B7E-4541-925D-4F433BA2539D.jpeg

Geoff is about to enter his 27th season coaching football, whether in on-field or off-field roles. I was surprised to learn he's only been a part of two teams that won double-digit games in a season: 2014 at Mississippi State (10-3) and 2015 at Florida (10-4). He's never coached on a team that won a conference title although D-III Albright and a six-loss FIU technically shared conference titles while he was there, but lost out on the tiebreakers. He's also never coached on a team that's finished in the Top 10 or coached on a team that won a major bowl game. In fact, he's never coached on a team that played in a major bowl game, if we take into account that he bailed on Mississippi State prior to their Orange Bowl loss to us. As best as I can tell Geoff has never been on a team that was awarded a ring after the season, unless we gave them out after the Coastal title in 2006 or Florida gave them out after the SEC East title in 2015. Not really sure where the guy's swagger comes from, to be honest.

Might be the most hollow baseless argument on ST.

You need stats for Swagger

DFEI:

13- MissSt rank 14th GT 77th
14- MissSt rank 20th GT 70th
15- UF- rank 22nd GT 62nd
16- UF rank 6th GT 94th
17- TU rank 29th GT 69th
18-TU rank 37th GT 111th

Record for Swagger:
You BS’d your way thru that argument

But let’s look at the standings for Temple last season
4AED3058-C174-416A-B6FB-785F3D309259.jpeg

They should’ve beat UCF, but we are not doing moral victories. That’s a thing of the past

Need accomplishments for swagger

3x Broyles nominee and finalist

That Florida team you mentioned won back to back East Titles bc of Collins w/ Treon Harris at QB. That defense carried that team.

DB Developer. Over 30 of his players in the league

Last edited:
Only qualm, until I do a little more research, is calling it an upset that Clayton chose Tech when he left Florida. If the writer had just put in 10 seconds more effort, he would have seen 1) Clayton is essentially coming home (Atlanta is closer to his home than Gainesville. Besides, it's Atlanta, and Gainesville, the Florida doppelganger, is not) and 2) Collins was his initial primary recruiter at Florida, so a connection between the two already had been established.
It wasn't a slam dunk for Clayton to come to Tech, but an upset? Eh.
(FWIW, I think Ken at the AJC puts more elbow grease into his stories than this ESPN guy whose work I am not familiar with does)
Plus, hanging the hat on the recruiting class being 12th now is a reach. Unless there are a lot of changes - meaning another handful of transfers out and CGC and crew filling those spots with 4s or better - then the odds are that recruiting class standing will only slide in the months to come, because we're pretty much at the limit of rides to give now in early May. Hell, Georgia just jumped us to 7, per rivals.
The thing to point to as positive isn't the class ranking today but the number of early commits. Previously, we didn't start seeing a lot of commit action until mid to late summer.
Doppelganger. Sounds dirty. But it's only German.

Last edited:
Might be the most hollow baseless argument on ST.

You need stats for Swagger

DFEI:

13- MissSt rank 14th GT 77th
14- MissSt rank 20th GT 70th
15- UF- rank 22nd GT 62nd
16- UF rank 6th GT 94th
17- TU rank 29th GT 69th
18-TU rank 37th GT 111th

Record for Swagger:
You BS’d your way thru that argument

But let’s look at the standings for Temple last season
4AED3058-C174-416A-B6FB-785F3D309259.jpeg

They should’ve beat UCF, but we are not doing moral victories. That’s a thing of the past

Need accomplish for swagger

3x Broyles nominee and finalist

That Florida team you mentioned won back to back East Titles bc of Collins w/ Treon Harris at QB. That defense carried that team.

DB Developer. Over 30 of his players in the league
I don't give two öööös about players in the league or almost beating UCF or Broyles nominations or making excuses about ööööty quarterbacks. The man's been coaching nearly three decades. Show me the goddamned rings. You can't. He can't. That's why he insisted on a seven year contract even though he's taking over a team that won five games in conference last year. He ain't going to win any rings, and he knows it.

I don't give two öööös about players in the league or almost beating UCF or Broyles nominations or making excuses about ööööty quarterbacks. The man's been coaching nearly three decades. Show me the goddamned rings. You can't. He can't. That's why he insisted on a seven year contract even though he's taking over a team that won five games in conference last year. He ain't going to win any rings, and he knows it.
This post could age well

Congratulations. I didn't think it would be possible for someone to post something on StinGTalk that is dumber than the crap that cincy, aj or leviathan post but you did it. Well done! So much stupidity in so few words.

Listen to the initial press conference. Collins didn't ask for a 7-year contract. TStan mentioned that he offered a 7 year contract because he knew it would take time to change the roster over from the triple option.

And talk about cherry-picking your stats. We 'won 5 conference games' but we also lost 6 games last year to the likes of Duke, South Florida, Pittsburgh and Minnesota. Freaking Minnesota. Thank God for Bowling Green and Alcorn State on the schedule so that we ended up with a winning record.

Meyer was a head coach for 6 years before his first national championship. Swinney was a head coach for 7 years before his first national championship. Saban was a head coach for eight before his. The only one of those who won a national title where they started was Swinney.

Point is, your standards are so unrealistic they are in a different universe.

And talk about cherry-picking your stats. We 'won 5 conference games' but we also lost 6 games last year to the likes of Duke, South Florida, Pittsburgh and Minnesota. Freaking Minnesota. Thank God for Bowling Green and Alcorn State on the schedule so that we ended up with a winning record.

And never even had a lead vs. Duke, Pitt, and Minnesota. Soundly beaten by all three.

Back