ESPN Article on our Program Direction

This whole honeymoon period is making me sick. This isn't a transition from a boner of a coach like Gailey. CPJ and his era deserve respect and ESPN (whom stingtalk regularly makes fun of) hated CPJ, trying to make it look like football was never played at GT pre-collins.

Collins loves to bring up the season he coached at tech (seasons?) 2006. They went 9-5 losing the last three games.
Paul Johnson had success early. But he to “retire” for solid reasons. Collins, Brent Key, Coleman, Choice will win more games. This isn’t a “honeymoon period”. This is the start of GT getting back to Orange Bowls and ACC Champions. The article was well written and is correct.

I don't give two öööös about players in the league or almost beating UCF or Broyles nominations or making excuses about ööööty quarterbacks. The man's been coaching nearly three decades. Show me the goddamned rings. You can't. He can't. That's why he insisted on a seven year contract even though he's taking over a team that won five games in conference last year. He ain't going to win any rings, and he knows it.
Fool

This whole honeymoon period is making me sick. This isn't a transition from a boner of a coach like Gailey. CPJ and his era deserve respect and ESPN (whom stingtalk regularly makes fun of) hated CPJ, trying to make it look like football was never played at GT pre-collins.

Collins loves to bring up the season he coached at tech (seasons?) 2006. They went 9-5 losing the last three games.

I think most of us appreciate CPJ, but the perception is what it is and had become more toxic to our brand and recruiting efforts than most of us realized. Fighting the masses on this point is a losing proposition, so if a public purge is necessary, so be it. Think of it like The Dark Knight where they had to make Batman the enemy. CPJ is not the hero we need right now.

Paul Johnson had success early. But he to “retire” for solid reasons. Collins, Brent Key, Coleman, Choice will win more games. This isn’t a “honeymoon period”. This is the start of GT getting back to Orange Bowls and ACC Champions. The article was well written and is correct.

I really
I think most of us appreciate CPJ, but the perception is what it is and had become more toxic to our brand and recruiting efforts than most of us realized. Fighting the masses on this point is a losing proposition, so if a public purge is necessary, so be it. Think of it like The Dark Knight where they had to make Batman the enemy. CPJ is not the hero we need right now.

I don't plan on not being a gt fan and have stated multiple times I like the hire, and am excited. I just don't like the way the CPJ tenure is being disregarded and as if it was a tumultuous firing rather than a retirement (albeit a little early).

I really

I don't plan on not being a gt fan and have stated multiple times I like the hire, and am excited. I just don't like the way the CPJ tenure is being disregarded and as if it was a tumultuous firing rather than a retirement (albeit a little early).
I am broadly in sympathy with your perspective.

But I think one of the main reasons that it seems as if attitudes have shifted 'against' CPJ is that he talked for so long about how it was very difficult to recruit to GT – and now it appears that was mainly due to CPJ himself, either his scheme, his personality, his hiring choices, whatever. He didn't have a brand manager, and it turns out having a brand manager is good for GT recruiting.

When you all realize that CGC is an awful Xs and Os coach, I will point you back to this article/thread. Watch some freaking Temple film and stop listening to his empty buzzwords. The man and his staff can't coach for anything.

We'll be 3-8 in November and BDS will be red. We should go D3. GTAA is a joke.

One thing I heard pop up is that we used to be consistent top-10 program. Are people referring to the 50's and 60's? I don't know if we cracked the top-10 final rankings once under O'Leary but we did at least one time under CPJ. Johnson had two top-15 finishes.

Gailey never rated on any final 25.

When you all realize that CGC is an awful Xs and Os coach, I will point you back to this article/thread. Watch some freaking Temple film and stop listening to his empty buzzwords. The man and his staff can't coach for anything.

Ban-eligible post.

I am broadly in sympathy with your perspective.

But I think one of the main reasons that it seems as if attitudes have shifted 'against' CPJ is that he talked for so long about how it was very difficult to recruit to GT – and now it appears that was mainly due to CPJ himself, either his scheme, his personality, his hiring choices, whatever. He didn't have a brand manager, and it turns out having a brand manager is good for GT recruiting.
Maybe if he had told his staff to visit some of the high school within driving distance of campus, things would have been different. It is appalling that there are schools with D1 talent that haven’t heard from a GT coach in 10 years.

Well, then I suppose things could have been worse. At least when Collins is fired he’ll leave the cupboards full for the next guy and we can all look back at your genius.

One thing I heard pop up is that we used to be consistent top-10 program. Are people referring to the 50's and 60's? I don't know if we cracked the top-10 final rankings once under O'Leary but we did at least one time under CPJ. Johnson had two top-15 finishes.

Gailey never rated on any final 25.

Finished 9th in the AP in 98 under GOL. We did have 5 straight top 25 finishes in at least one poll under him. CGC is using a little hyperbole on that point.

Point me to the film

Back