ESPN power rankings

All those pro-ACC points are pretty lacking. The weight of OOC evidence bodes best for SEC. If SEC ISN'T the best conference, then another conference is. I just don't see that.

But there is a difference between merely being best and "OMG the best conference EVAR!!1!" Alabama may be the best team, but it's not like Oregon and FSU are that far behind. Yeah, despite their lack of "game control," FSU should still be up there. Certainly if you rank Miss State #4, then FSU should be #3. MSU has looked a little questionable in many games like Kentucky.

Huh?

Sagarin uses the ELO method used in chess rankings. It's public, and it's just math. There is zero subjectivity to it.

That is just one of the methods he uses. The ranking and the predictor are more than just math.

Google it if you don't believe me.

That is just one of the methods he uses. The ranking and the predictor are more than just math.

Google it if you don't believe me.

It's a rare occurrence, but Coit is correct. ELO chess is just one of the Sagarin calculators.

The ELO-CHESS rankings are a modified, pure W/L ranking which was used in the BCS system. The predictor is different and the methodology is not public. What coit may be referring to is the biased Bayesian prior that Sagarin uses, but he says he only uses for the first few weeks before teams are well-connected.

I'm not saying Sagarin is useless. But I will say that a consistent 1.2 or 1.3 point bias toward favorites would put a betting man in the poor house pretty quickly. Knowing the bias, however, might make it advantageous to the gambler to play dogs outright in situations that Sagarin likes a dog. Again, no one has done it with such consistency and over such a range of sports as Sagarin has. I just think there are new, more advanced methods out there.

Then what is an example? You should be able to identify at least one to make that statement,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back