Et tu Clemson

Wes Durham on Full Ride today “Clemson and FSU lawsuits are not the same. What Clemson has pointed out is very fair, and if you look at the new CFP payouts it makes sense to them. That said, there are more lawsuits from current league members coming sooner rather than later. You can figure out pretty easily who’s next. The next 12-18 months will be real interesting.”

“If I was Jim Phillips I would be meeting with Brett Yormark (B12) very soon to get the 2 leagues into 1. ESPN owns a majority of the rights to both leagues, so it seems like the most logical move to ensure there is a league in the near future.”

I was hoping the ACC would stick together, but I don't think it will now. I hope President Cabrera and J Batt are reaching out to the Big 10. I think we should tell them we'd come for half a share.
The BIG would be lucky to have us. Half a share is for Wake or Boston College. We are worth a full share and nothing less.

I'm worried about this. I think there's a much greater chance we land in a worse conference than a better one. There are only 2 better places to land, and these lawsuits are making the acc a bad place to stay... If we miss on b10 or sec we're in for another metro conf.

These lawsuits aren’t making the ACC a bad place to stay - the decades of poor leadership has created a situation where this conference makes less money, has it’s undefeated champion left out while 1 loss teams get invites, and has recruiting gutted because no 5 star will come to a 2nd class conference. Clemson and FSU see that the money and reputation of every ACC program is going in the tank and they don’t want to become the next has been program fighting over 3 stars. They may not succeed in the near term but at least they are trying. Meanwhile, GT has just sat on our butt while UGA has walked away from us and the new deal agreed to last week ensures that we will forever be levels behind. The ACC is a joke conference because their leaders don’t fight for their membership. The SEC and BIG leaders know how to fight.

These lawsuits aren’t making the ACC a bad place to stay - the decades of poor leadership has created a situation where this conference makes less money, has it’s undefeated champion left out while 1 loss teams get invites, and has recruiting gutted because no 5 star will come to a 2nd class conference. Clemson and FSU see that the money and reputation of every ACC program is going in the tank and they don’t want to become the next has been program fighting over 3 stars. They may not succeed in the near term but at least they are trying. Meanwhile, GT has just sat on our butt while UGA has walked away from us and the new deal agreed to last week ensures that we will forever be levels behind. The ACC is a joke conference because their leaders don’t fight for their membership. The SEC and BIG leaders know how to fight.
Perfect post. Corrigan had the conference on the right
Perfect post, couldn't have said it better. Corrigan had us on the right track in the 90's. His biggest mistake/oversight was not getting Penn State when they wanted in. Swofford totally screwed the conference because he was totally blinded by getting the ACC Network up and running. That caused him to make a horrible deal in several aspects. The contract running through '36 was ridiculous, even by the standards at that time. Another thing that doesn't get talked about much is ESPN requiring the conference to increase the conference games from 18 to 20. That has directly correlated to the ACC struggling to get 5 teams in the tournament as opposed to the 8 or so we usually got. Swofford is the one who killed the ACC, not Clemson or F$U.

Perfect post. Corrigan had the conference on the right

Perfect post, couldn't have said it better. Corrigan had us on the right track in the 90's. His biggest mistake/oversight was not getting Penn State when they wanted in. Swofford totally screwed the conference because he was totally blinded by getting the ACC Network up and running. That caused him to make a horrible deal in several aspects. The contract running through '36 was ridiculous, even by the standards at that time. Another thing that doesn't get talked about much is ESPN requiring the conference to increase the conference games from 18 to 20. That has directly correlated to the ACC struggling to get 5 teams in the tournament as opposed to the 8 or so we usually got. Swofford is the one who killed the ACC, not Clemson or F$U.
Swofford was blinded by self dealing (the Raycom deal for his son) and protecting the NC schools to everyone else’s detriment. And when he did make moves, all we did was kill the Big East. We got nothing of any significant value for that (Miami was by far the biggest prize…..the rest of the additions are meh at best).

I'm worried about this. I think there's a much greater chance we land in a worse conference than a better one. There are only 2 better places to land, and these lawsuits are making the acc a bad place to stay... If we miss on b10 or sec we're in for another metro conf.
That’s not entirely true. The B1G, sec can’t take everyone. Between the ACC, B12 a very good 3rd conference can be formed.

That’s not entirely true. The B1G, sec can’t take everyone. Between the ACC, B12 a very good 3rd conference can be formed.
Don’t be so fast, the ACC gets two auto bids for a few years. The ACC will cash that in first I think.

Swofford was blinded by self dealing (the Raycom deal for his son) and protecting the NC schools to everyone else’s detriment. And when he did make moves, all we did was kill the Big East. We got nothing of any significant value for that (Miami was by far the biggest prize…..the rest of the additions are meh at best).
I’d say Miami has been the 3rd best addition from the BE based on results on the field during the 2 division format. Both VT, Pitt have been much more consistent. VT was especially good the first 10+ years under Beamer.

Miami is an eyesore with the real attendance around 20,000 a game at Hard Rock.

Ps If we are left out I would like to see Ivy 2. Stanford, Cal, GT, Duke, Pitt, UVA, SMU, Cuse, BC. The ACC was fun with 9 teams.

I’d say Miami has been the 3rd best addition from the BE based on results on the field during the 2 division format. Both VT, Pitt have been much more consistent. VT was especially good the first 10+ years under Beamer.

Miami is an eyesore with the real attendance around 20,000 a game at Hard Rock.
I meant value to conference. No one gives a rats ass about Pitt or the non-Michael Vick version of VT.

Let’s assume that the best teams in the ACC go to the B1g and SEC.

Call it, unc, uva, miami to B1g and ncst, vt, clem, fsu to sec.

Assume B1g doesn’t want pitt, bc, cuse, or UL.

Sec doesn’t want gt, duke, wake, or (also) UL.

What does that honestly leave us? Probably WSU, OSU, Stan, Cal, Gt, Duke, Pitt, Cuse, and BC plus the ööööty ND deal (even worse with Stan as a yearly rival). We probably swing Big12 level money with that smaller conference. Probably not acc money, but Big12 money.

Let’s assume that the best teams in the ACC go to the B1g and SEC.

Call it, unc, uva, miami to B1g and ncst, vt, clem, fsu to sec.

Assume B1g doesn’t want pitt, bc, cuse, or UL.

Sec doesn’t want gt, duke, wake, or (also) UL.

What does that honestly leave us? Probably WSU, OSU, Stan, Cal, Gt, Duke, Pitt, Cuse, and BC plus the ööööty ND deal (even worse with Stan as a yearly rival). We probably swing Big12 level money with that smaller conference. Probably not acc money, but Big12 money.
What is the attraction of VT? They have never won anything significant and they are difficult to get to.

What is the attraction of VT? They have never won anything significant and they are difficult to get to.

NC and Va represent new states for the B1G and the SEC. The rankings of the 4 teams is probably

1. uNC
6. UVa
10. VT
28. NCSt

VT v UT was a great game. VT v SC probably draws well. VT v UK is probably the top 3 draws on KY that year.

GT is new territory for the B1G only. Without another regional team, we would be an outlier. We have some nice advantages for the B1G. We are a SC level draw in the sec.

NC and Va represent new states for the B1G and the SEC. The rankings of the 4 teams is probably

1. uNC
6. UVa
10. VT
28. NCSt

VT v UT was a great game. VT v SC probably draws well. VT v UK is probably the top 3 draws on KY that year.

GT is new territory for the B1G only. Without another regional team, we would be an outlier. We have some nice advantages for the B1G. We are a SC level draw in the sec.

New territory isn’t as important to the SEC. No doubt they want into NC and probably VA, but IF they go to 24 there are still a lot of slots to fill. If the goal is to get teams that make intriguing matchups you want natural rivals, GT checks the box better than most other options based on real historical data.

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I’m going to hope against hope. The GT vs UT game a few years back was right around 50/50 or pretty close to it. Atlanta is a draw for southerners, GT would thrive and in turn would be a nice add into the SEC.

Back