Et tu Clemson

New territory isn’t as important to the SEC. No doubt they want into NC and probably VA, but IF they go to 24 there are still a lot of slots to fill. If the goal is to get teams that make intriguing matchups you want natural rivals, GT checks the box better than most other options based on real historical data.

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I’m going to hope against hope. The GT vs UT game a few years back was right around 50/50 or pretty close to it. Atlanta is a draw for southerners, GT would thrive and in turn would be a nice add into the SEC.

ATM was a new territory move. Mizzou was a new territory move. TX was a no brainer for any conference. OU was a top shelf team as well.

I don’t think the sec wouldn’t want us, but we are down the wishlist. Ranking the schools above us would depend on which other schools have been added. Probably easier to rank the schools the sec would not want (bc, cuse, pitt, wake, duke, stan, cal, smu). UL and us are in a weird spot. I would think we rank above them. I also don’t think the sec would add more than 1 school in VA and NC.

New territory isn’t as important to the SEC. No doubt they want into NC and probably VA, but IF they go to 24 there are still a lot of slots to fill. If the goal is to get teams that make intriguing matchups you want natural rivals, GT checks the box better than most other options based on real historical data.

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I’m going to hope against hope. The GT vs UT game a few years back was right around 50/50 or pretty close to it. Atlanta is a draw for southerners, GT would thrive and in turn would be a nice add into the SEC.
The fact that GT would thrive is probably a mark against us getting an invite, unfortunately.

Let’s assume that the best teams in the ACC go to the B1g and SEC.

Call it, unc, uva, miami to B1g and ncst, vt, clem, fsu to sec.

Assume B1g doesn’t want pitt, bc, cuse, or UL.

Sec doesn’t want gt, duke, wake, or (also) UL.

What does that honestly leave us? Probably WSU, OSU, Stan, Cal, Gt, Duke, Pitt, Cuse, and BC plus the ööööty ND deal (even worse with Stan as a yearly rival). We probably swing Big12 level money with that smaller conference. Probably not acc money, but Big12 money.
NC State hasn't won the ACC since 1979....."the best" teams? They are ööööing Arkansas or Missouri

We have the footprint and infrastructure.....no reason why they wouldn't want us. That's just an excuse

I meant value to conference. No one gives a rats ass about Pitt or the non-Michael Vick version of VT.
Really? A school that constantly sells out (VT) and for 75% of their ACC life has been competing for ACC Championships “no one gives a rats ass about” you say? Your “no one gives a rats ass about“ applies to probably 60% of the league overall. Look at the average win totals during the post expansion era of the ACC and correlate that to attendance + TV ratings. I can assure, VT is a program people care about.

Problem is 2-fold as it relates to GT / sec.

1. GT left the sec on their own. Why does the sec need them back?
2. sec already has a state of Georgia program. The goal of the next expansion is value adds.

The sec going into NC, VA are the logical next moves. Adding Clemson, FSU (despite other programs in those states in the sec) are big name brands with high attendance + TV numbers that would also meet the criteria they are looking for.

Just like the B1G expanding into GA (GT), NC (UNC), FL (Miami) etc makes sense.

What is the attraction of VT? They have never won anything significant and they are difficult to get to.
So winning 4 ACC Championships is not winning anything significant? Interesting. Mizzou was an outlier and was invited to the sec. I’d say VT is still a much more powerful football brand over Mizzou.

NC State hasn't won the ACC since 1979....."the best" teams? They are ööööing Arkansas or Missouri
If my memory serves me, I think Arkansas and Missouri have each won their division and played for their conference championship. Not so with NC State.

picking up leftovers and having things done to us isn't working well.
why not get out in front by merging with B12 now?(expand to 40 eventually)
we don't need no NCAA or B10/SEC
4 regional divisions, 4 team playoff- finish in time for CFP for a double payout
East-GT,Clem,NC,NCSt,WF,Duke,Va,VT
West-Az,AzSt,Colo,Utah,BYU,Cal,Stan
Middle-SMU,Hou,TT,Bay,TCU,Kan,KanST,IowaST,Cinci.OK St
Retards-FSU,UCF,Miami,WVa,Pitt,Lou,Syr,BC

With the ease and rate at which all this seems to be able to change and morph, is there really much chance of there ever again being any stability in this system? Stability is kind of important for long term success. All of these dreams of some final super conferences or whatever is sounding to me more and more like some unicornian utopia vision that will never come to pass. Seems like it is more entropic and will more likely be an eternal öööö show. It has become the equivalent of having a psycho girlfriend.

With the ease and rate at which all this seems to be able to change and morph, is there really much chance of there ever again being any stability in this system? Stability is kind of important for long term success. All of these dreams of some final super conferences or whatever is sounding to me more and more like some unicornian utopia vision that will never come to pass. Seems like it is more entropic and will more likely be an eternal öööö show. It has become the equivalent of having a psycho girlfriend.
She sounds like just my type, pls DM deets.

She sounds like just my type, pls DM deets.

Here is her sexy pic

merrick-garland.gif

Best in this context has nothing to do with acc titles. It has to do with dollars to the new conference. But, yeah, ncst is the smallest draw of that group.

There’s a reason we are a more attractive candidate for the B1G than Pitt.

Really? A school that constantly sells out (VT) and for 75% of their ACC life has been competing for ACC Championships “no one gives a rats ass about” you say? Your “no one gives a rats ass about“ applies to probably 60% of the league overall. Look at the average win totals during the post expansion era of the ACC and correlate that to attendance + TV ratings. I can assure, VT is a program people care about.
The limited success VT had under Beamer is rapidly fading into history.

The limited success VT had under Beamer is rapidly fading into history.
“Limited success” under Beamer? Do you watch CFB?

From 1993-2003 in the Big East, VT won less than 8 games 1 time in 1997 going 7-5. During that time they had (2) 11, (3) 10, (2) 9 and (3) 8 win seasons. Beamer clearly had it going before they entered the ACC.

From 2004-2011 in the ACC they won no less than 10-11 games a year. From 2012-2015 (Beamer’s last year) they won 7 3 times and 8 the other.

Fuente started in 2016 and had the following:

2016: 10-4
2017: 9-4
2018: 6-7
2019: 8-5
2020: 5-6
2021: 6-7

Pry took over in 2022.

2022: 3-8
2023: 7-6

VT clearly was very successful under Beamer before and after joining the ACC. Fuente had a couple very good seasons, and Pry has flipped the record in his 2nd year.

If Beamer‘s success is “quickly fading into history” than a lot of programs are in the same boat.

I agree with this. It has been 25 years since Michael Vick played there. They peaked when Chan Gailey was coaching on the flats.
Completely false. CCG last year was in 2007. Here is VT after 2007 through the beginning of the CPJ years are the 10+ wins a year kept going for VT.

2008: 10-4
2009: 10-3
2010: 11-3
2011: 11-3

Starting in 2012 is when the 10+ win seasons stopped finishing 7-6.

If going 11-1 (1999) and playing for an MNC is the only measurement for success, then 99% of the country “peaked” a long time ago.

Back