Expansion Rumors…

1980 was a long time ago for a championship, UNC. Don't laugh, NC State, yours was 1979.
Fun fact. NCSU has 1 season in their history with more than 9 wins. 2002 (11-3).NCSU was #10 and 9-0 going into the game against? GT. GT 24 NCSU 17.

People can rip on CCG all they want, but he led GT to some damn big wins. Auburn (2x), Miami (2005), NCSU (2002), Clemson (2004) come to mind.

This. UNC is to the ACC what Texas was to the Big 12 in terms of screwing things up and then looking to bolt and leave everyone else with the mess it created.
Good call. Only difference is, UNC has some hoops MNC’s in their trophy case. What does Texas have?

Fun fact. NCSU has 1 season in their history with more than 9 wins. 2002 (11-3).NCSU was #10 and 9-0 going into the game against? GT. GT 24 NCSU 17.

People can rip on CCG all they want, but he led GT to some damn big wins. Auburn (2x), Miami (2005), NCSU (2002), Clemson (2004) come to mind.
I was there for that game....it was beautiful.

I was there for that game....it was beautiful.
My favorite memory from that game:

Some Tech fan had printed out "9-1" signs on 8.5x11 paper and brought them to the game to hand out. After the game, a Tech guy was waving one around and an NC State guy came up to him and said "oh yeah, well what's your record?"

The Tech guy's response? "WE'RE 1 AND 0 AGAINST YOU, BABY!"

Perfect.

JRjr

No one gives a flying frogs ass about basketball
Totally agree. Except in the early 2000’s the ACC decided to bring in a bunch of hoops schools thanks to Swafford, and here we are.

And before people say expansion was about “football” spare me. Cuse’, BC, Pitt are not exactly football brands anymore. Yes, Pitt has had success under Narduzzi, but overall they play in a 75% empty NFL stadium.

Totally agree. Except in the early 2000’s the ACC decided to bring in a bunch of hoops schools thanks to Swafford, and here we are.

And before people say expansion was about “football” spare me. Cuse’, BC, Pitt are not exactly football brands anymore. Yes, Pitt has had success under Narduzzi, but overall they play in a 75% empty NFL stadium.
Agreed. Our expansion, done because FSU, Clemson, and GT demanded it, was, I suspect, intentionally done ham handed because Swofford cared 95% about basketball and tolerated football.

RIP PAC12

FB_IMG_1716801813687.jpg

Had CCG just won once or twice against UGAY in his tenure here he would have gone down in history as one of our most consistent and solid coaches in GT history.

Had CCG just won once or twice against UGAY in his tenure here he would have gone down in history as one of our most consistent and solid coaches in GT history.
Not to start a ball bashing discussion, but if CPJ could have recruited a different style QB, he would probably have had a statue outside the stadium. Nesbitt was too late to save him. Imagine Justin Thomas as the QB for that '06 team. Even Patrick Nix couldn't have blown that year.

Not to start a ball bashing discussion, but if CPJ could have recruited a different style QB, he would probably have had a statue outside the stadium. Nesbitt was too late to save him. Imagine Justin Thomas as the QB for that '06 team. Even Patrick Nix couldn't have blown that year.
Wait, I thought the narrative was that CPJ couldn't recruit. Also Thomas would not have come to GT if Gailey was the coach. He would have just been a DB at Bama.

Wait, I thought the narrative was that CPJ couldn't recruit. Also Thomas would not have come to GT if Gailey was the coach. He would have just been a DB at Bama.
We probably would have had another pro style QB after Renfee.

Back