Expectations for next year

I think CGC can do better because he will be much better at motivating the players than the 2018 version of Paul Johnson was. We should have a better QB and a better RB than CPJ had this year. I have far more confidence in our players than you do apparently.
We have a lot of players who are square pegs for round holes when it comes to doing anything but what Paul was doing. That may be very difficult to overcome. I do think that to leave an option system you have to rip the bandaid off like we are doing and not try to gradually roster build out of it.

"Spread" and "pro style" aren't mutually exclusive schemes, certainly not in today's football.

Sure the game is ever-evolving. But “pro style” offense doesn’t really mean what pro offenses are running at the given time. When you hear pro style you think FB and TE with a smash mouth run game. That’s what a “pro-style” still refers to in this day and age.

We have a lot of players who are square pegs for round holes when it comes to doing anything but what Paul was doing. That may be very difficult to overcome. I do think that to leave an option system you have to rip the bandaid off like we are doing and not try to gradually roster build out of it.
Name them.

Name them.

I would actually prefer he didn't name them; but I hate seeing out fans throw our players under the bus like this. I will say this, if Collins put up some 3-4 win seasons right off the bat, I don't know how you get these 4 & 5 star recruits to give GT a serious look.

What are your expectations for next year? We are transitioning from Paul Johnson's Option Offense to whatever Geoff Collins Offensive coordinator decides to install; but the first year will be about creating an offense for the players you have, not the players you want. You get Benson back, you no doubt have a better quarterback, an experienced TE, plenty of skill position players. We will probably get out manned in 3-4 games; but I am confident Ralph Friedgen could put together a potent offense with what is there, so should whoever our OC ends up being.. Add a DC who can coach a mediocre defense and we should be a bowl eligible team. It will be a big job to do during transition; but going 8-5 in the ACC Coastal with a couple of FCS games thrown in isn't some impossible goal.

So here is my expectation for next year:

8-5 with a top 30 recruiting class is the goal, anything above that is outstanding.
6-7 is the base with a top 40 recruiting class, with a likely bowl game in Shreveport or some place. Anything below that will be a disappointment.

Wins on the field or wins in recruiting. When it comes down to it, he was hired to recruit.

I think the "transition pain" is way overstated, but I wouldn't be alarmed if we didn't go bowling. If that's the case, however, CGC absolutely has to make a splash in recruiting. Fair or not, we need top 35 recruiting classes from the get-go if we aren't winning a bunch on the field in years 1 & 2.

I would actually prefer he didn't name them; but I hate seeing out fans throw our players under the bus like this. I will say this, if Collins put up some 3-4 win seasons right off the bat, I don't know how you get these 4 & 5 star recruits to give GT a serious look.
That's what he was hired to do, so we'll see. Paul was hired to win with less money and talent (impossible to accurately discuss without 'throwing players under the bus' as you say, which Paul did frequently with his favorite 'execution' comments after a loss). Collins has been hired to bring in the talent that fits Tech's academic challenges, but maximizes our advantages for once.

Sure the game is ever-evolving. But “pro style” offense doesn’t really mean what pro offenses are running at the given time. When you hear pro style you think FB and TE with a smash mouth run game. That’s what a “pro-style” still refers to in this day and age.

Well there are only a select few teams in the country running the pro style offense which you speak of. Temple was not among those teams, and I seriously doubt we will be either.

Yep. There’s even one team that looked dead in the water and then won several games in a row running a lot of Option concepts. Imagine that.

Yep. They adjusted their offense to fit the skill set of their QB. If we're going to have a decent offense next year, we will have to do the same.

Why does the ACC wait so long to announce the schedules? Im pretty sure every other conference has their schedules set out, just time hasnt been announced.
ACC should do real time scheduling. Every Sunday perform a random draw of unplayed teams to generate that week’s opponent.

Have no idea what to expect next year. What I do know is that most everyone lauds Collins as a great recruiter. Time will tell. What few have said and this concerns me, is he a great coach? Many coaches have been great recruiters but mediocre coaches. Always felt like Mark Richt fit that bill. Did less with more than any coach in America.

I actually expect our offense to be pretty good. I like the size of our primary receivers and we have a lot of experience blocking on the edge. We have slot backs and RB depth till the end of time, and the grad transfer TE should really help. Our OL is a bit under sized but has shown the ability to QB sweep to infinity and beyond with great push against non elite teams. And the quarterbacks we have are exceedingly mobile even if we doubt the arm talent. If we are fitting an offense to the roster other than 3O I expect a lot of screen pass / RPO stuff on top of a really liberally applied run game, and wildcat looks would not surprise me. I think that side of the ball could conceivably be a top 35 unit even in transition.

On defense tho, we ded. I am not expecting a whole heck of a lot out of that unit, and I think it's going to result in some losses to beatable teams. Maybe a new new DC will come in and surprise.

I don't know what the w/l will be, and won't have a remote clue until I see the schedule and the spring game so I can learn a bit about what we are running and how we look at it.

Can play Running Back. Oh no maybe he doesn’t have experience catching the ball out of the backfield!!! The horror.
He can play it. Doesn't mean he'll be good at it. He doesn't have a natural position in the new scheme. A lot of our players don't. I won't name any more because it's poor form.

Name them.
I’m not going to single our players and it’s not just a “these players suck” type of statement. We are set up to run the ball 90% of the time. We do that with an undersized line that very obviously cannot pass block. We do it with a roster that has WRs with the primary attribute to this point being blocking ability rather than routes and catching. We do it with QBs who run better than they “throw” and these things called A backs who are undersized for traditional RB or WR.

We obviously have some talented football players, but moving them around to things other than option ball is going to lead to some bad deficiencies at some key positions both in terms of ability and depth.

Back