Expectations for next year

I have no idea what to expect, and I think Collins probably deserves a mulligan for year one, regardless, because it is a significant transition. However, I am a little more optimistic because I think the last couple of recruiting classes do have some talent and versatility. The players we have coming up are hopefully more talented than the ones who are moving on. I dunno if we just whiffed on a couple of recruiting classes or had too much attrition.

So, I do think we have some talent but I would still be very happy with any bowl game next year because there is a lot of work to do to get everyone in the right position and acclimated to the new system.

I know this. I hope the players expect to go 12-0. They need to believe in themselves, and believe they have potential in this new scheme so they will buy in, and give it 110%. Prove the naysayers wrong, men.

You guys are the ones calling out all of the players for being untalented. Not me. You are the ones saying we have FCS talent. So either name the players you think are FCS talent or gtfo with that criticism.

What are your expectations for next year? We are transitioning from Paul Johnson's Option Offense to whatever Geoff Collins Offensive coordinator decides to install; but the first year will be about creating an offense for the players you have, not the players you want. You get Benson back, you no doubt have a better quarterback, an experienced TE, plenty of skill position players. We will probably get out manned in 3-4 games; but I am confident Ralph Friedgen could put together a potent offense with what is there, so should whoever our OC ends up being.. Add a DC who can coach a mediocre defense and we should be a bowl eligible team. It will be a big job to do during transition; but going 8-5 in the ACC Coastal with a couple of FCS games thrown in isn't some impossible goal.

So here is my expectation for next year:

8-5 with a top 30 recruiting class is the goal, anything above that is outstanding.
6-7 is the base with a top 40 recruiting class, with a likely bowl game in Shreveport or some place. Anything below that will be a disappointment.
6-6 and another nothing bowl

I’m not going to single our players and it’s not just a “these players suck” type of statement. We are set up to run the ball 90% of the time. We do that with an undersized line that very obviously cannot pass block. We do it with a roster that has WRs with the primary attribute to this point being blocking ability rather than routes and catching. We do it with QBs who run better than they “throw” and these things called A backs who are undersized for traditional RB or WR.

We obviously have some talented football players, but moving them around to things other than option ball is going to lead to some bad deficiencies at some key positions both in terms of ability and depth.

The beauty of this observation is that the present WR corp should be looking forward to the new scheme, with a chance to catch more balls. In addition, the present WR corp should be fairly well versed in the art of blocking, so this could also help our running game on the edges and once the LOS is broken.

No they aren’t. Next. Compare them. Maybe they could add some weight but that’s a S&C thing and easily remedied.
That’s kinda what I mean. They are 2-3” shorter and 20lbs lighter across the board. S&C can’t make them taller or longer.

Edit: also, if it was so easily remedied, why didn’t we do it? If you can look at the way we get pushed around on both lines and say that’s not a problem, I don’t know what to tell you.

I would actually prefer he didn't name them; but I hate seeing out fans throw our players under the bus like this. I will say this, if Collins put up some 3-4 win seasons right off the bat, I don't know how you get these 4 & 5 star recruits to give GT a serious look.
"juice"

I expect to see GT win some games it shouldn't, lose some game it shouldn't, and be competitive in every game. At this point the novelty will be so great that I won't mind losing some of those competitive games. But I'll be angry and upset right off the bat if we keep playing like we did the final two games of 2018.

That’s kinda what I mean. They are 2-3” shorter and 20lbs lighter across the board. S&C can’t make them taller or longer.
They aren’t much shorter. True we don’t have a Mountain available at Tackle but our interior line is as good as any in conference and our tackles should be passable we have plenty of 300#ers and length. Some of our highest rated recruits are on the line.

8 wins should be the floor of every regular season. Schedule 3 wins OOC and 5-3 ACC. Very doable if the team is the least bit prepared and motivated. I won't be mad at Coach if he doesn't win 8 that first season. I do expect at least a quick lane bowl next year.

the problem on the Offensive Line is the style, they run block on passing downs, they have never been asked to pass block in a conventional stance. I think you will see a big difference in that style next year.
Another observation would be since they are a bit lighter and faster, traps, RPO and screens will be paramount. I am not sure why anyone thinks Oliver can not be the QB next year. He is a great athlete, just
needs the opportunity to prove himself. The really big kid we recruited will play along with the transfer at Tight End. I would not be surprised to see some double tight end schemes. I would also not be surprised to see an open
competition and turn a couple of guys already on the team into tight ends. I also predict that the defense will not be outstanding but ball control on the offense may help. I am hoping for at least six wins.

If Geoff Collins is worth his salt as a defensive man, there are some things we can do there. I expect a couple of the short-armed OL to move over to DT. You run a 4 man front and put Adams and Hansen/Tufele in the middle, move a guy like Glanton to SDE and Owens to WDE, that helps free up our smaller backers until we can bring in some size. Then you situational sub a guy like Charlie Thomas at rush end, and mix in some blitz. People who are saying we have no Power 5 talent at DB are wildly off. That position was mismanaged more than any other this year by Woody IMO. We already have the length CGC talks about there with Carpenter, Oliver, Swilling, J. Thomas, Walton. I think more beef up front, tighter man coverage and allowing our safeties to play back more instead of favoring the run so much like Rivera did this year will help that position group thrive more. Of course, the success of this will be effected by how efficiently prepared we are for those d#mn hurry up offenses everyone runs these days.

The offense is probably going to need the biggest build job.

Back